It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

Unsure

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
LabLass
(female)

LabLass HB User
Unsure

I posted a while back having a positive ANA with titer 1:1280. This was ordered by my neuro, along with Anti DS DNA, sed rate, anticardiolipin antibodies, TSH, SSA, SSB and Lyme. The only thing abnormal was the anticardiolipin IGM at 14. Neuro referred me to Rheumotologist. I saw him about a month ago and he ordered all antibodies. 18 tubes worth of blood! At my first appt. he also diagnosed me with limited scleroderma. I'm assuming because of Raynauds and being diagnosed with esophageal spasms about 10 years ago.

The tests that he ran that came back positive or at the high end of normal were RBC (low), Hgb (low), MCV (high), Sed rate (high), BUN (high), Anticardiolipin antibodies IGM (high end of normal), Protime (low end of normal), C Reactive Protein (0.5 - normal range <0.5).

After blood work results were back, rheumy nurse called and said everything looked fine, but Dr. wanted to try me on prednisone, to see if it helped. It has! Tremendously! I don't know what this means, but I see him back in a couple of weeks for follow up, so maybe I'll know more then. He is also sending me for Pulmonary Function Test, Chest X-Ray and Echocardiogram.

My question is could this maybe be more than limited scleroderma?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Unsure

The short answer is yes. A lot depends on what other symptoms you have. A diagnosis requires both signs and symptoms as well as labs that show a pattern. With anticardiolipin antibodies and sed rate high, I would think lupus would be high on the list of considerations. The fact you feel better on prednisone reflects the reduced inflammation in your system. I would be interested to know what symptoms you have if you care to share. That is very important for your dr to know as well.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
LabLass
(female)

LabLass HB User

I didn't even realize that I didn't write my symptoms! A bit of brain fog is one of them, btw! Along with joint pain and stiffness in ankles, feet, knees, hips, back shoulders. None in hands. Extreme fatigue. Headaches every day. Muscle weakness. Pins and needles in hands, legs and feet. I did have an EMG and it showed neuropathy in my lower legs and feet. I also have DDD in lower lumbar region. Forgot to say there was abnormalities in my Urinalysis as well. 2+ blood, 1+ leukocytes estarase, hyaline casts (few), RBC 5-10 (normal is 0 - 4). Also protime was just below normal at 11.6.
About 8 yrs ago I was hospitalized for severe anemia and had to undergo 8 weeks of IV iron therapy. To me, this seems like when everything started to go down hill.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
LabLass
(female)

LabLass HB User

I forgot to say that I alternate between diarrhea and constipation. I've had bowel issues since I was a child, as well as trouble with incontinence. I had my bladder stretched when I was 5 yrs old! Through my late teenage years and we'll into my 20's, I suffered from severe anxiety and panic disorder. I don't have many problems with it now. Just occasionally. I also have periods with extreme night sweats. It seems to coincide with being extra achy on those days.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabLass View Post
I forgot to say that I alternate between diarrhea and constipation. I've had bowel issues since I was a child, as well as trouble with incontinence. I had my bladder stretched when I was 5 yrs old! Through my late teenage years and we'll into my 20's, I suffered from severe anxiety and panic disorder. I don't have many problems with it now. Just occasionally. I also have periods with extreme night sweats. It seems to coincide with being extra achy on those days.
You do have lots of symptoms of autoimmune disease. GI problems are common, anemia, joint pain, fatigue, etc. The sweats are common during flares as a result of cytokines being released from the inflammation. Peripheral neuropathy is common in lupus. I think you definitely need a good work up by a reputable rheumatologist who will take all this seriously and get you back on track. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Reply Reply