It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Have progressing symptoms for past few months. Could it be?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
    TreeHiker
    (male)

TreeHiker HB User
    Have progressing symptoms for past few months. Could it be?

Hello, new to board. I'm 38.
    It all started a few months back when i had gastritis and GI inflammation. I went through the rounds with the doctors and eventually, with treatment, gastritis subsided.

I ended up with dryer than normal mouth and eyes during the gastritis which still persists today. A couple months back, after gastritis, I had episodes of strange, random body aches and pains that i had experienced before, but they're not happening much anymore.

During the time of the dry mouth/eyes and body aches, my doctor ran autoimmune rheum panel. Rheum was negative, ANA was negative. All was negative except for low Vitamin D.

Fast forward some weeks and i had a followup with my GI doc. I mentioned the dry eyes/mouth to my GI doc and he suspected something called Sjogrens disease. He ran some tests SSA, SSB, Ro/La tests and all came back negative.

A couple weeks ago, I started feeling burning on my forehead, face, upper-cheeks and arms. Pretty much all places where i had been getting sun throughout this summer. We have spent much time out side this Summer, so i thought it was interesting that these parts were burning. I suspected a sunburn.

The sunburn persisted for a number of days until i thought to start use sunscreen. I now suspect i have a photosensitivity issue. There are times where i've been out in the sun and I feel sick, nauseated, weak leg muscles, etc. Also, i seem to burn really easy. I had a spot of sun hit my bare arm on the way home from work which got red and hot about an hour later.

Finally, I get weird sensations that I can only describe as hot flashes. They happen at any time. The past two days i found they were happening at night as I was getting my kids to bed and preparing for bed. Starting with my face, i just get really hot, then moves to my head, ears, neck, and all the way down to my toes. I dont get red, just warm. This can last for a few minutes, an hour or most of the night. Feels like a fever, but normal temp on thermometers. Not sure what is going on.

I just visited my doc today and hes taking a number of blood tests including parathyroid, CMP, CBC, CRP, vit d, B12, calcium.

My symptoms seem to align with some of the Lupus symptoms i am seeing.

Additionally, ive found that some medications can contribute to Lupus type symptoms, including those used for gastritis such as PPIs (was on esomeprazole). The symptom can trigger even some time after the medication is stopped and can last for a period of time, from what i have read.
    I'm really wondering if this could be a probability? Ive never had this before in my entire life.

So far, the absolute worst of all my symptoms are these feelings of hot flashes/flushing, and sun sensitivity. This only started a couple weeks ago and has been awful as my family and I are and have constantly been outdoors. I'm not sure what to do now.

I can only hope that if i have these symptoms, that they will be temporary, possibly due to the medications i had been taking for gastritis.

Where my ANA was negative a couple months back, is it possible now that i have sun sensitivity, my ANA could now be positive? It looks like there are tests to determine if DILE or confirm SLE altogether such as ssDNA, etc. Any others?

Interested in recommended best next steps. I want to get outside again Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Have progressing symptoms for past few months. Could it be?

Have a lip biopsy done to check sjogrens.

What is your rheumatoid factor number?

My ANA and all subclass tests under it are negative.

RF is 117 (normal 0 - 20). IGM is 3.48 (normal .6 - 2.6).
    Lip biopsy...sjogrens positive.

I dont fit the blood criteria, and I dont have a primary such as RA...which the Rheumy was surprised by the biopsy results.

Go for the biopsy.

q

Reply Reply