It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Just had ANA tested positive

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2004, 11:30 AM   #1
    bigheadache

bigheadache HB User
    Just had ANA tested positive

I dont expect that everyone here will have experienced every one of these symptoms but if you have experienced any of them please tell me about your experience. I should also mention that I am am male as that my change things a bit. The syptoms I suffer from that I cant find any others suffering from(I also have more common symptoms) are:
    -Headache
    -Brain fog/psychosis
    -low sex drive
    -low body tempurture
    -Weight gain

Other symptoms I have that are common to AI diseases are:
    -Fatigue
    -Dizzyness
    -Soreness/Stiffness of muscles
    -Extremely dry nose and eyes
    -Allergies
    -swollen/tender lymph nodes
    -lots of phlem in throat
    -laboured breathing
    -Dry sometimes rashy skin
    -Depression/Anxiety
    -Indigestion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2004, 11:27 PM   #2
    AngelicBrat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
    Re: Just had ANA tested positive

Hi bigheadache,

Have you been tested for Antiphospholipid Syndrome? It seems to me that you fit the criteria for it.. and it can affect both men and women. The symptoms of headache, brain fog, psychosis, depression and anxiety go with it hand in hand. My bet is that you have APS going on here, and maybe Lupus too. Have you been tested for Lupus? If you haven't been tested for either, I would recommend getting tested.

APS is a blood clotting problem in which the blood becomes "thick" causing it to clot too easily. People with APS feel sluggish, fatigue, tingling and weakness in the extremities, headaches/migraines, history of miscarraige, strokes and TIA's (mini strokes), DVT's (Leg clots) and other awful symptoms like that. Often we are misdiagnosed with MS because APS mimiks MS a lot! MRI's can show lesions which are very similar to the ones that occur with MS. Please check out the posting called "Neurological symptoms and possible Lupus? Please read!" to see if you fit that.. my best guess is that you do. You would benefit getting tested.. the blood tests are the anticardiolipin antibody test and teh Lupus anticoagulant. Even if those tests are negative, you can still have APS.. which is why it is so darn difficult to diagnose. There is a form of APS called "Sero-negative APS" in which the patient never shows the blood work when tested. It doesnt mean that they don't have it.. it just means that medical science is not perfect! I know with me (I have negative tests) the treatment started to work in 2 days.. that was the confirmation of diagnosis!

I think you need to be looked after by a Rheumatologist that specializes in Lupus and APS patients. If you find one that doesnt, your wasting your time. MANY of them like arthritis patients and not Lupus ones since we have such complex symptoms! As for the psychosis, anxiety and depression.. do not be alarmed, these are quite common in patients with APS (if that is what you have). I hope this helps you and I hope that you feel better soon.

~Angelic

Old 02-27-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
    bigheadache

bigheadache HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngelicBrat
    Hi bigheadache,

Have you been tested for Antiphospholipid Syndrome? It seems to me that you fit the criteria for it.. and it can affect both men and women. The symptoms of headache, brain fog, psychosis, depression and anxiety go with it hand in hand. My bet is that you have APS going on here, and maybe Lupus too. Have you been tested for Lupus? If you haven't been tested for either, I would recommend getting tested.

APS is a blood clotting problem in which the blood becomes "thick" causing it to clot too easily. People with APS feel sluggish, fatigue, tingling and weakness in the extremities, headaches/migraines, history of miscarraige, strokes and TIA's (mini strokes), DVT's (Leg clots) and other awful symptoms like that. Often we are misdiagnosed with MS because APS mimiks MS a lot! MRI's can show lesions which are very similar to the ones that occur with MS. Please check out the posting called "Neurological symptoms and possible Lupus? Please read!" to see if you fit that.. my best guess is that you do. You would benefit getting tested.. the blood tests are the anticardiolipin antibody test and teh Lupus anticoagulant. Even if those tests are negative, you can still have APS.. which is why it is so darn difficult to diagnose. There is a form of APS called "Sero-negative APS" in which the patient never shows the blood work when tested. It doesnt mean that they don't have it.. it just means that medical science is not perfect! I know with me (I have negative tests) the treatment started to work in 2 days.. that was the confirmation of diagnosis!

I think you need to be looked after by a Rheumatologist that specializes in Lupus and APS patients. If you find one that doesnt, your wasting your time. MANY of them like arthritis patients and not Lupus ones since we have such complex symptoms! As for the psychosis, anxiety and depression.. do not be alarmed, these are quite common in patients with APS (if that is what you have). I hope this helps you and I hope that you feel better soon.

~Angelic
    Thanks for the reply. Acually I was reading up on APS just the other day and it seemed familiar to me. I have started to take asprin everyday in the hope this will thin my blood a bit. How are you being treated for APS? Also I wasnt aware there was a blood test for lupus. I thought if your ANA came back positive the rheumy just looked at your symptoms and says you have lupus. I wasnt aware lupus could be pin pointed with blood work. I will also ask my Dr. about the rheumy I will be seeing to see what his specialty is. Thx

Old 02-27-2004, 10:40 AM   #4
    AngelicBrat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User

Hello again

There are MANY indicators of active Lupus. There is: The ANA, Anti-DNA, Anti-RO, Anti-SSB, Anti-SM, Rheumatoid Factor, C3C4, urine markers, CBC markers, etc I am glad taht you are taking the aspirin until they get you organized! I was started on a low molecular Heparin to start (which showed MAJOR results in 2 days) and then I was switched onto Warfarin. They both work amazing for me! I hope that this Rheumy can get you organized and treated. It's so frustrating being undiagnosed. Remember that you can have APS AND Lupus without the positive results, although lots of Rheumy's forget that and write us off as "depressed" or crazy. I really do believe that your psych stuff is part of APS. Do you notice a difference being on the Aspirin? I hope you feel better soon

~Angelic

Old 02-27-2004, 10:48 AM   #5
    happy4us
    (female)

happy4us HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigheadache
    I dont expect that everyone here will have experienced every one of these symptoms but if you have experienced any of them please tell me about your experience. I should also mention that I am am male as that my change things a bit. The syptoms I suffer from that I cant find any others suffering from(I also have more common symptoms) are:
    -Headache
    -Brain fog/psychosis
    -low sex drive
    -low body tempurture
    -Weight gain

-Fatigue
    -Dizzyness
    -Allergies
    -lots of phlem in throat
    -laboured breathing
    -Dry sometimes rashy skin
    -Depression/Anxiety
    -Indigestion

One other thing that popped out for me is that the symptoms also can be attributed to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/hypothyroidism. I have that and POSSIBLY also Lupus. Your symptoms are almost exactly what I deal with when my thyroid is out of whack and my meds need adjusted. When you have one auto-immune disease I guess it's more likely that you can have another. I have an extremely high ANA also which can be caused by Hashimoto's. Unfortunately there are no exact answers.

Anyway, in addition to all the lupus tests, I would request a TSH, Free T4, Free T3, TPO, and Thyroid Antithyroglobulin AB test. That will tell you if your thyroid is working properly and if you have the antibodies that kill your thyroid.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2004, 08:21 AM   #6
    bigheadache

bigheadache HB User

First to Angelicbrat I havent noticed any difference using the asprin. Maybe its not strong enough if I have APS. Not sure really. Also I know they cant pin depression on me because my ANA is positive so I do have something wrong.

Secondly to happy4us I continuely think I have a thyroid disease as well. I also have family history of thyroid problems. I have had all the thyroid screens you spoke of but everything seems to be well within normal ranges.

Thanks for you r posts.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
    bigheadache

bigheadache HB User

Ok jusy had my ANA count done again with anti-DNA anti-RNP Anti-ENA(I think), Anti-Histone. Non came back positive? I am going to see a rheumatologist next week. ANYTHING else I shouild have this guy look for or is there any advice that anyone has for me?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigheadache
    -Headache
    -Brain fog/psychosis
    -low sex drive
    -low body tempurture
    -Weight gain

-Fatigue
    -Dizzyness
    -Allergies