It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Is it really lupus?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User
    Is it really lupus?

Okay, someone please tell me what they think... I went for a second opinion a couple of weeks ago and the doctor agreed on the lupus diagnosis. All of my ana's have been positive (1:160 homogenous and speckled) for at least a year now, but when I went back for my results the other day, my ana was negative and all bloodwork was negative, however, had a bad flare of pain and stiffness over the weekend. My concern is that I stopped taking birth control pills a month ago. Could this mean that they were causing the positive ana? I was only on them since March of 2002, but never got really sick with "lupus" until January of 2003. I have heard conflicting statements about the effects of birth control on the ana test. The lupus book says that bcp does not cause lupus, but can induce flares. But, I know I didn't have a positive ana when in the hospital in 2002 for something unrelated. So, really this positive ana just showed up in 2003; one year after starting bcp and now it's negative after stopping the pill. Here's the other thing though, the lab that this new doctor goes through is a different lab then the one used by the other doctor all the times before. Could this be the reason? I don't know, I just need to know if I really am okay and don't have lupus. I do still have all the other symptoms though. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
    lovemythreeguys2002
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
    Re: Is it really lupus?

You can have Lupus, even though the ANA can turn negative....what other criteria was used to DX you?

Old 04-23-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
    AngelicBrat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User

I agree with the doctor that said that BCP can help induce flares but it doesn't cause drug induced Lupus. I am so sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed, but at the same time I am happy becasue from here you can be treated and feel SO much better! The hormones in your body could have helped induce those positive results, and as I have said numerous times- blood work can change day to day even.. just keep getting it done to see where you are at. Often when we feel the worst is when the blood work is negative!

~Luv, Angelic

Old 04-24-2004, 08:43 AM   #4
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User

Thanks for your replies. My other criteria were the photosensitivity, mysterious rashes that only went away with prednisone, terrible joint and muscle pain. And with all of these things going on, I felt like I had a terrible flu. I couldn't get enough sleep. I have felt much better on the medications.

Closed Thread