It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Sun exposure - what does it do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
    SueQ

SueQ HB User
    Sun exposure - what does it do?

Does exposure to the sun cause any other symptoms besides rashes? I'm wondering because on Saturday I spent the whole afternoon in the sun (at my sons' baseball games). By Saturday evening, I had a pain between my shoulder blades or at the bottom of my neck that hurt so bad that I couldn't sleep. It lasted until yesterday, although it wasn't as severe Sunday eve. or Monday, but my fatigue was much worse the past couple days too. I've never had this kind of pain before and I had not done anything to pull a muscle or anything that day... just sat at the ballgames.

BTW, I've not been diagnosed with SLE but have some positive bloodwork and other symptoms... just wanted to know if this is something I should mention to the rheum. I'll be seeing in June.

Thanks,
    Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
    sparkey

sparkey HB User
    Re: Sun exposure - what does it do?

Hi Sue
    I'm in similar position to you. Positive bloods but not diagnosed yet.
    I also experienced bad pain in the spleen area for several hours after being in the sun watching my son's footgame on saturday morning. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being childbirth, mine would have been an 8. Maybe it is the sun that causes the pain. I'll be interested in any responses you get.
    Good luck.

Old 04-27-2004, 03:23 PM   #3
    SueQ

SueQ HB User

Lol! 10 being childbirth - that's how I always compare pain... I went "natural" for childbirth so I know exactly what it felt like, and I always figure that's the worst pain you can have!

Yes, I'll be interested in hearing if this can be a symptom... It just was really weird since I didn't do *anything* that could have caused this pain!

Sue

Old 04-27-2004, 04:39 PM   #4
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User

I get extremely stiff and achy all over including headache, flu feeling and the fatigue is definitely worse.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:03 PM   #5
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Sue, Even years before I got photosensitive rashes, after time in the sun I was getting the stiffness in neck and back and sometimes joints that others mention, too. Flu-like and "shockish". Mottled lacelike skin (livedo reticularis). Headaches. Very tired but unable to get a good sleep.

Weird how it all built up over time... I had no true rashes until my early 40's.

Take care. Hope you make good progress in getting answers.

from Vee

Old 04-28-2004, 03:11 AM   #6
    Sampy123
    Inactive

Sampy123 HB User

The sun will most definitely bring on flu-like symptoms for us lupies. I learned that the hard way. It threw me into an eight week flare with horrific arthritis. Now, I do my best to protect myself against the sun. Hard to believe that something that feels so good at first, can be our worst enemy.

Last edited by Sampy123; 04-28-2004 at 03:12 AM.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:54 AM   #7
    SueQ

SueQ HB User

Sampy & Vee
    Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that the sun would cause the lupus-rash to appear not cause other problems, so I appreciate your letting me know about your experience. I guess I will have another test of this next week at the ballgames, then if it happens again I will take measures to stay out of the sun somehow, or at least cover up more! Not that I want to have that headache & neck pain again (not at all) but I would like to accurately report what happens to the new rheumie that I'll be seeing, and this one time may be a fluke... who knows.

Thanks again... I sure appreciate the insight you guys all have on this board!

Sue

Old 04-29-2004, 01:30 PM   #8
    caroleye
    Veteran
    (female)

caroleye HB User
    Angry Re: Sun exposure - what does it do?

My theory about sun exposure is that it "stimulates" our bodies; thus increasing the inflammation, which causes the pain.

I recently moved to San Diego where the sun shines all the time, and I'm definitely feeling the effects of that. It also worsens my facial rash.

I feel like a "mole", as I head or the dark areas!

carole

Old 04-29-2004, 01:59 PM   #9
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

SueQ--

Sun exposure for those with connective tissue diseases (lupus) can adversely affect their skin as well as their internal organs, and joints. Sun exposure may cause lupus flares, resulting in fever, joint pain, and even inflammation of the heart, lungs, kidneys, or nervous system--depending on the degree of sensitivity. Also, extreme tiredness after just minimal sun exposure.

Recommendations are avoiding, if possible, tropical sun, and sun exposure between hours of 10am-12pm (hottest time of day). If outdoors, suggested wearing a wide brimmed hat, loose clothing with long sleeves (arms and legs covered) and applying liberally lots of sunscreen. Depending on the type of lupus, depends on the kind of rash that may or may not appear.

Lupus skin indicators can be:

* a rash across the cheeks and the bridge of the nose
    * scaly, disk-shaped rash on the face, neck, ears, scalp, and/or chest
    * severe rashes, fever, or being tired after minimal exposure
    *a rash that involves the hands yet spares the knuckles.

Hope your next ball game is more cooler and comfortably!

Old 04-30-2004, 06:16 AM   #10
    SueQ

SueQ HB User

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will pay attention to what happens to me when I'm in the sun and keep a log for the rheumy visit in June. It can't hurt! Of course, if I have one more reaction like last week, I will be keeping myself in the shade as much as possible.

Sue

Old 05-09-2004, 05:12 PM   #11
    AnnaRat

AnnaRat HB User

Wow.. this is all new info to me. I did not know the rash could be delayed, or the flu like issue either. Dang it, I need a good doctor to tell me this stuff and to stop making reference to my being a loony!

Sometimes for me it is instant, but if I think back.. all those times I've been wracking my brain to figure out what food it was that made me rash up so oddly, it maybe is the sun because it all matches up.. up to a week time frame but usually only a couple days.

One day I got the rash, but had not eaten in like 48 hours because I was still getting over the real flu, was feeling better but didn't eat anything for fear it'd just make me gag. But I had been out in the sun a couple days prior to the rash. I knew it wasn't a food allergy, but had no idea what it was. That got me laughed at too when I told the doctor. Maybe, just maybe, I really am sick and not crazy after all hahaha

We went out today, played mini golf (I won woohoo, hole in one too! haha) and now a few hours later I'm beginning to have the usual problems. The sun makes me feel like I'm getting the flu, very tired and kind weak like, not heavy limbs, but just tired enough that it's not really worth trying to move around.. if that makes sense? But the doctor (just the dumb local one) says that's stupid and I'm being silly when I've mentioned this same stuff in the past. I don't bother to tell her crap anymore, and I'm getting a new doctor in the next couple months anyway so it doesn't matter what she thinks. Now I know I am not being silly or grr.... "over reacting" get real! So I never brought it up again, but it happens every time.

I don't go out in the sun often because it's really not worth the suffering that results haha. Today was though, the fun we had today will make up for the week of suffering that's going to likely come haha. I was able to walk fairly well, actually got sleep (wow what is sleep!?) today so better take the day while I have it!

Long trips in the truck are rough if it's sunny. Above the knee rashes (I wear shorts on trips, even in December usually. He keeps the heater on too high ugh.. make me queasy and very whiney! haha), my right arm rashes since i'm always the passenger, and right side of my face usually too. Yuck, looks like acne or something, it's so yucky. I wash my face but I still rash out, that just upsets me. It's not acne though, I know it's not (well a couple dots might be, but come on.. not that many!) If it's sun, that means I can stop worrying about it and just stay out of the sun to keep a nice face haha!

Going outside though ugh. How crappy usually. Joint pain, flu pains, fever that will start up within 24 hours and as I type I can feel my eyes getting that "pressure" they do, and shortly my head will get that specific headache I get ONLY for fevers, then the fever will hit. No rash yet, but it may take a couple days.

If I hadn't seen this, I'd just assume in a couple days that it was the icecream I ate today. Something new for me to eat, was a new place for us to go too, and I'd of just brushed it off as another food allergy to whatever they make their on-site icecream with. I get the rash usually on my arms between my wrist/elbow and usually on the underside, the paler part of the arm. Back of my legs too. Usually not itchy but sometimes it is.. but that might just be because I give it a test scratch and of course then it's itchy hahaha

Starting to wonder if my cantelope allergy is not that at all. I only eat it in the summer, and generally only at my mother inlaw's when we're outdoors for family gathering. I'd given up on eating it till last year, and again I rashed up. I love cantelope, it'd make my day if I could eat that without a problem.

I'm sticking to my story about green bean allergy though! Which btw is the exact same rash I get with cantelope and when I know I have eaten NOTHING I am allergic to, but I have been in the direct sun outdoors in the week time frame prior to the rash tha tappears. I hate greenbeans though ugh.. nasty hehe.

My ears even get kind of pressured after being out in the sun, but only after I've been back indoors for a while again. That might just be plant allergies setting in with my sinuses too, my nose is really runny today ugh. Everything is all up in the air I guess haha.

I'm sorry others suffer like this too, but I am so glad that I am not the only one with this weird stuff going on. I feel bad saying that, but truly reading here in the last couple days alone has made me much less upset to know I really am NOT alone for a change in all this! Even if I don't get a lupus diagnosis, at least I'm not alone with these strange things and that makes a difference, a huge difference, after being laughed at and told that it's impossible for me to have all these things wrong.

The sun is not my friend *laughs*

AnnaRat

Old 05-11-2004, 01:03 AM   #12
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

Hey Annarat!

Are green beans part of the legume food family? Some people are allergic to those--and they can cause some headaches too.

Anyway, you keep mentioning that your doc refers to you as a loon. Gosh, I can't wait until you get a better one who certainly understands autoimmune, particularly lupus and one who gets the connection about how autoimmune affects the mind and emotions. Lupus is one of the autoimmune conditions that also causes lesions. Have you had a brain/spine MRI?

Old 05-11-2004, 07:37 AM   #13
    journeygirl

journeygirl HB User

Years ago I told my doctor that I thought it was weird that my arthritis was worse in the summer than in the winter. I'd always heard that cold/wet aggravated arthitis.

She had that (now very familiar) look in her eye when she told me yes, that was weird because generally cold and wet was what really made joints hurt more.

Bah, now I know it's because of the sun exposure. Oh and how I miss the summer light and heat. But it just isn't worth the pain and fatigue I get with extended time in it.

Use your sunblock, wear protective clothing and know that it's not in your head, it's in their head that they have pre-concieved ideas based on normal people.

Closed Thread