It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Could this be a Lupus rash? Angelic or anyone else plz respond!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
    Question Could this be a Lupus rash? Angelic or anyone else plz respond!

I am getting red blister-like bumps that come up only on my right arm. Just trying to figure out what it could be as getting a dermatologist appointment before the "rash" disappears is going to be near impossible. The rheumy has told me I might have Lupus though my tests only support a diagnosis of Reynauds, Myositis and Fibromyalgia. I also have contact dermatitis, sebborheic dermatitis and cystic acne. However these blisters do not look like any of those things. Actually it reminds me of how poison ivy kinda blisters the skin except these are large blisters and just one at a time shows up. I have not been in the woods or outdoors where I could have rubbed against a plant. This does not look like a spider or tick bite either. Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
    Ali04
    (female)

Ali04 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Could this be a Lupus rash? Angelic or anyone else plz respond!

Hi!
    My name is Ali. This is my first post here.
    What you are describing may very well be lupus related. I have seen other people post about it on other forums. Were you in the sun?

I think you should call the doc about it. Hey, you can never be too safe, right?

Ali

Old 05-23-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Could this be a Lupus rash? Angelic or anyone else plz respond!

Angela, There is a lupus-specific rash called "SCLE" = Subacute Cutaneous LE, which favors the upper body but usually spares the face. It tends to be nonscarring and nondepigmenting, unlike a "discoid" rash. I mention it first because you described your rash as being on your arm.

There are two main forms of this rash: papulosquamous (sp? this one is smallish and bumpy, I think) and annular (circular rings).

I had the annular one. I went to many dermies and had the rash biopsied repeatedly, but no local doctor "got it". My other symptoms were the worst when I had the rash, so I was convinced the two were connected. But it took a teaching hospital rheumatologist and dermatopathologist to make the Dx.

The other main lupus rashes are probably better known: discoid (= DLE, which tends to scar and depigment) and malar (= ACLE, the "butterfly" facial rash associated with full-blown systemic lupus).

There are other even less common lupus rashes, but these three are the main ones. You could seach on the following abbreviations to find more about them: DLE, SCLE, and ACLE.

The way to diagnose any such rash is by skin biopsy, performed by a dermatologist or dermatopathologist. You need someone really competent to interpret the results sometimes. My biopsy results, I found out later, were strongly suggestive of lupus, but the doctors receiving the lab reports had never heard of the subset I ended up being diagnosed with.

In contrast, the city doctors I saw knew right off the bat what they were probably looking at, did more bloodwork and one last biopsy, and Boom, I had my answers---after years of trying.

Anyway, hope this helps. Wishing you the very best of luck. from Vee

P.S. I've also had contact dermatitis all my life, plus awful reactions to insect bites, etc. As a kid I also had a "bullous" rash = large, weepy clear blisters that itched awfully. Found at about 35 years later (!) that it *might* have been a DIFFERENT lupus rash way back then. I told the truth to the dermies I saw, about having sensitive skin, and I wonder if this made me less credible somehow...? Anyway, biopsy done by a really good specialst is probably your best bet on this. GOOD LUCK!

Closed Thread