It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• How Long Does An "Episode" Last?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2004, 05:47 AM   #1
    SpeisFamily

SpeisFamily HB User
    Question How Long Does A "Flare" Last?

My daughter is having a "flare" with a butterfly rash, joint pain, and tiredness since last weekend when we were out on the boat and in the sun all day. She also has kidney problems off and on. How long do these "flares" usually last? She has not yet been diagnosed but we do have an appointment. I just want to make sure that the symptoms will still be there when we go to see her Dr so he can see what I am seeing. BTW she is only 9.

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 07-16-2004 at 06:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2004, 05:59 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: How Long Does An "Episode" Last?

Good morning.

Unfortunately, there is no fixed rule on how long symptoms stay visible enough for a rheumatologist to see. Perhaps you could take a photo of your daughter's facial rash, so the rheumie could at least get a sense of it in case it fades.

For other symptoms, you could also maintain brief notes: when each appeared, etc.

I'm morry this "answer" can't be a better answer! Maybe others can chip in other useful things to do while you are waiting for your daughter's appt. All my best to you both, Vee

Old 07-16-2004, 06:14 AM   #3
    SpeisFamily

SpeisFamily HB User
    Re: How Long Does An "Episode" Last?

Duh, such a simple answer, why didn't I think of just taking a picture? Sometimes the odvious is the hardest to figure out. Thanks for your advise

Old 07-16-2004, 08:16 AM   #4
    Sampy123
    Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: How Long Does An "Episode" Last?

I brought a HOST of information to my new rheumy. It was so organized and collated by date - VERY out of character for me. I had made a set of copies for him, everything from personal and family history, symptoms, medications, surgeries, doctor reports and bloodwork - absolutely everything that one can think of. The ONE thing that he was MOST interested in, was a close-up picture of my face that had the brightest red rash. Vee gave you good advice - take a picture before it fades. I edited this post to add that episodes really vary from person to person, and sometimes from one flare to another. Mine used to resolve themselves in 2-3 weeks - without any doctor's intervention, but my last one snowballed and took on a life of it's own. I foolishly waited weeks before going to the dr. I will never do that again.

Shari

Last edited by Sampy123; 07-16-2004 at 09:12 AM.

Closed Thread