It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Does white cell count indicate flare?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
    cathyand7kids

cathyand7kids HB User
    Does white cell count indicate flare?

Hi my name is Cathy, just found your group and have a few questions.
    I have CNS Lupus and moved so I now see a new doctor. I had a flare and ended up in the ER. My white blood cell count was 3.1 ( dropped from 4.3 just last month). Thankfully the ER doctor realized what lupus symptoms can be and raised my Prednisone, short term till I see my lupus dr.
    Two days later I saw my new dr. He seems to think the drop in the white blood cell count is "just somehthing that happens normally with lupus, and no indication of a lupus flare". He chose to completely dismiss my trip to the ER as not a lupus flare, and never even addressed the increase in prednisone dosage given me by the ER. (BTW I feel much better now)
    My previous Doctors would have been very concerned about the significant change in the white blood cell count, espcially considering all the symptoms that led me to the ER.
    Is my new Doctor correct about this?
    I have had this CNS lupus for 9 years, and know, pretty much with certainty, when I'm in flare up and need help. Because of this new doctor's attitude, he does not seem to be respecting my own experience with this disease.
    Thanks for any input,
    Cathy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
    Suecat3

Suecat3 HB User
    Re: Does white cell count indicate flare?

Hi Cathy...I'm Sue, dxed with SLE and Sjogren's. My white count is always a little low, and my docs don't seem overly-concerned about it; I do think it's just something that goes along with having lupus sometimes. That being said, if you feel your new doc is blowing you off and not taking your concerns seriously, tell him so and ask exactly what your results mean, if anything. At the least, talking to him will let him know that you take an active and interested approach to your own health, which is always a good thing! Good luck, Sue

Old 08-19-2004, 04:47 AM   #3
    patience 50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

patience 50 HB User
    Re: Does white cell count indicate flare?

Hi Cathy,

I really just want to welcome U to the boards and second Suecat. Talking is the best solution always. If, after some time goes by and you feel as you do now about your Dr., you might want to try another but for now perhaps he deserves more of a chance. Glad you are feeling better with the increase in Prednesone. Hope it lasts for you.

May God Bless You
    Patience 50

Closed Thread