It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Pitting Edema

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2004, 08:44 AM   #1
    mere

mere HB User
    Pitting Edema

Does anyone suffer from this? I had it last December (for the first time) after a bad flare (with costochondritis - rib inflammation) but all my kidney and liver tests were normal. Sed. rate and C react. protein were very high.

Everything returned to normal, and then, three days ago, the edema came back. It's bad - pitting deep in my feet, ankles and lower legs (also my skin is reddish) and generalised in my face, hands and abdomen as well.

I have been suffering from costochondritis again for a few weeks. Do you think there could be a connection? Or is it coincidence? Nothing else in terms of my medications or diet has changed.

I am seeing my PC today. Maybe she will have some answers.

Mere --

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
    Sampy123
    Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
    Re: Pitting Edema

Mere,
    Not sure if I can be of much help here. I have Level 2 edema in my lower legs too. My hands swell up quite often. Dr. wants to start me on a water pill when I see him in 2 weeks, after I adjust to the Plaquenil and statins. I definitely think you should mention the edema to your dr. Keep me posted.

Shari

Last edited by Sampy123; 10-13-2004 at 10:40 AM.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
    mere

mere HB User
    Re: Pitting Edema

Thank you for the reply Sampy123.

I returned from my PCP and she remembers the lupus flare starting this way last Dec. (with the pitting edema and costochondritis). She called my Rheum. and he thinks because my Prednisone has been decreased from 20 mg to 10 mg, I may be having an excerbation of symptoms.

Rheum. asked her to send me for more labs and he wants to adjust the methotrexate to 20 mg (from 15 mg) and stay at 10 mg with the Pred. I am all in favor of decreasing the Prednisone (even lower if possible) but 20 mg of Mtx. is alot. Hopefully, I can handle it. Anyone take methotrexate? What is your doseage.

Mere --

Closed Thread