It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Can anyone tell me what having low MCV can indicate?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2004, 03:15 AM   #1
    UT_mom
    Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User
    Can anyone tell me what having low MCV can indicate?

Hi everyone--
    I'm wondering if anyone knows what a low mean cell volume on a CBC would indicate (if anything), I've read a tiny blurb about it being associated with iron deficient anemia but I'm having a hard time finding much info in my searches. I wondered if anyone else here had similar results in their MCV or if you knew any info. Well thanks much! Hope this finds you all as well as possible right now!
    Love,
    Shawnee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
    NOTSONUTSO
    (female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Can anyone tell me what having low MCV can indicate?

Shawnee, I just checked my Sept. lab results to see what my MCV was. It is 75.5 and it says 81-99.0 is normal. I definitely have iron deficiency anemia (ferritin was 1.0 in Jan. and now it does not even register; it just says "less than 5.") I guess I am saying that I too don't know if low MCV is related to anemia!!! BTW, what is your MCV if you don't mind my asking?????? Thanx!
    Love, Wana Lee

Old 11-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
    UT_mom
    Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User
    Re: Can anyone tell me what having low MCV can indicate?

Thank you much Wana Lee!
    I think I might ask to have my iron checked. My MCV isn't terribly low or anything but it is always under the reference range. Usually runs in the 70's like yours and the reference range low is 80 something. My Mean Platlet Volume (MPV) is low also but my platelet count is fine, but I'm wondering if this may have anything to do with the periods of easy and exaggerated bruising I experience from time to time and also the very very delayed healing of bruises. I seriously have two bruises that you can no longer see but they are still tender to the touch. One I got in April (it was huge) the other was in August (it was huge too). Weird stuff huh? Thanks so much for your help Wana!! Hope you're hanging in there. Did you get an appointment yet? Let me know!
    Love ya!
    Shawnee

Closed Thread