It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Ear Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2005, 06:56 AM   #1
    mere

mere HB User
    Unhappy Ear Pain

I was hoping to get some advice. I am having a flare right now and I was wondering if anyone can identify with my symptoms, or am I just bizare.

I often have pain in my rib cage (costochondritis) with a flare, right now it is affecting my back side of my ribs and they hurt so much that I can barely lean back in a chair. Forget touching them. Also, my right ear hurts. I have noticed this before. It's the cartilidge I think, around the rim of the ear but not the lobe. It usually bothers me during the night or in the morning if I am laying on it.

It looks a bit red - thats all.

Is this weird?

Mere --

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User
    Re: Ear Pain

Mere - No, I don't think it is weird... I think everyone has some unique symptoms with their flares. I have had pains in my ribcage and ears too, but cannot necessarily associate them with my flare ups. Sometimes I'll just have strange pains that don't last long and then I'm fine. Are these pains your having staying constantly, or do they come and go?

Donna

Old 02-18-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear Mere,

This winter, for the first time ever, I went to an ENT for sore ears, including the bony pinna area. They'd both hurt for 3 months, plus I was getting dizzy on standing. I was sure I had a deep ear infection. Turned out to be blocked sinuses affecting my ear pressure and also promoting drying out of the ear canal. I felt much better upon using the sinus spray prescribed, plus an ointment for the outer ear area.

If you don't improve, do you have an ENT you could see? Or have you asked your GP? Hope whatever it is can be made to go away. Take care, Vee

Old 02-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #4
    mere

mere HB User

Thank you Donte and VeeJ:

It seems to be better now as is the costochondritis. I have a Rheum. appt. March 1 so I will bring it up for discussion.

Thank you for your concern.

Mere --

Old 03-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User

Mere - just curious how your appointment went on March 1st and what the doc said about your ear pain and rib pain...

Old 03-03-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
    mere

mere HB User

Hi DOnte, thank you for your concern :

He did not say much about the ear pain and it has abated but he is concerned about the rib pain.

He sent me for a CT scan (went today) of my thoracic spine and chest. I have some pain in my back (normal for me) and he is concerned that the frequent rib pain may be due to a pinched nerve or disc problem in my thoracic spine. I also have some neuropathies and my right rib feels numb sometimes. Pain medicine is not very effective for the rib pain.

Who knows. Seems that I have unusual symptoms and many times there is no explanation except for either the lupus or FMS. I would imagine it is the same for many of us.

He prescribed cymbalta for depression and pain relief. Do you or anyone have any experience with this drug?

Thanks again for your concern.

Mere --

Old 03-03-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User

No, I've not heard of Cymbalta. Is it a new antidepressant? Well, I do hope it helps you. I take Lexapro, but it doesn't do much for me.

I hope the CT scan turns out okay. Hopefully they can do something to stop your pain. Wow, you're lucky that your doctor listened to your complaints and did something so quickly. Sometimes, my doctor waits to see if I complain about it for a couple times before he acts.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2005, 01:33 AM   #8
    UT_mom
    Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

Hi Mere,
    I'm so sorry to hear that you're flaring right now. I hope you get feeling some improvement soon! I just wanted to say that my ears bother me too when I am flaring. The outside cartlige gets red in one spot and it hurts to lay on it or to put a phone to my ear. I did find a picture once on a dermo site that had a red spot on the outer ear that was listed under "Lupus pictures" so after that I thought it must happen to some people. Best of luck to you, hopefully your new meds will be of benefit!
    Love,
    Shawnee

Old 03-04-2005, 04:54 AM   #9
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Mere,

I am not medically trained, but share information I have learned from living and learning about lupus for over 30 years.

I too have the same symptoms as you. Don't let them say they are unusual, they aren't honestly. Push and push as I always say. One thing, I have trigemal neuralgia. I get horrid pain in the outer bits of my ear. I affects my face and head, and is extremely painful and makes touching my face or head or ears, etc. so sensitive. I am obviously not trying to diagnose you, but hope that it might be something you can think about. Maybe you could ask next time you go to the doctor if perhaps this is something worth looking into.

Be well.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 03-04-2005 at 05:12 AM.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:02 AM   #10
    mere

mere HB User

Thank you guys . It would stand to reason that any part of the body that has cartilage will be suseptible to inflammation with lupus. That would be ears and ribs. My Rheum. prescribed lidocaine patches to put on my back and my ribs and they seem to help a bit.

Cymbalta is a brand new, antidepressant drug that is a 'selective seratonin and norepinepherine reuptake inhibitor' (thats a mouthful)! It has been approved for depression and diabetic neuropathic pain. I have also heard that it is helpful for FMS.

On the other hand, I have heard that it is Eli Lillys new designer drug to replace Prozac since the patent is due to expire.

We will see, I usually have terrible side effects from AD's but so far, I am just feeling a bit sleepy and my tums a bit upset. I really hope it works.

I don't know the results of the CT scan. The tech. said my doctor would receive the report within 5 days... must not be too serious then

Hope you all are feeling relatively well today. It is Friday and that helps.

Mere --

Old 03-08-2005, 10:44 PM   #11
    lil_star0043
    (female)

lil_star0043 HB User

ive just went to the emergency room for my ear. They had to put me on an IV and some antibiobitcs.. they said if i didnt go any sooner i maybe would of had to get some of my ear cut off or it would of been permantly deformed.
    here a pic of my ear.. n my throat.

[ please carefully review the posting rules - no pictures, websites or emails ]

Last edited by moderator2; 03-09-2005 at 06:29 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no pictures, websites or emails

Old 03-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #12
    darkwater
    (female)

darkwater HB User

Just thought I would add my ear symptoms to the list. Ear issues were one of the first indications I had that something was wrong with me. Over a year ago, before I was diagnosed, my ears had started bothering me, and I was constantly trying to scratch or clean them, as they were continuously irritated. I had begun to think that I was developing some sort of compulsive ear fixation that kept them raw and wouldn't let my ears heal, when really, it was just Lupus that wouldn't let my ears heal.

What it amounts to is the inside of my ear stays kind of raw and inflammed and won't totally heal up. Then they try to heal up and form a scab over the raw part. There is sometimes a pimple or two. It gets to where debris collects (scab and gummy discharge) to the point where my ear gets clogged and I can't hear clearly. Had a horrible bout of this over Christmas/New Years and having a little bit of it right now. I can tell when I am on a lower dose of prednisone like I am now (12.5mg) instead of my usual 15, my ears start to act up, among other things. Just another reminder that Lupus is lurking behind the prednisone, lest I forget and think I can discontinue it.

Closed Thread