It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Feet Swelling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #1
    cookingmom
    (female)

cookingmom HB User
    Feet Swelling

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a problem with their feet swelling - not my ankles, just my toes and feet.

I have SLE and Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome and have a leaky heart valve. In addition to plaquenil, lopressor, plavix, nexium - I have been taking prednisone (30 mg.) since April.

This swelling has been going on for the past 5 days, when I get up my feet look okay and then within a few hours the swelling is there. I also notice that my joint pain in my hands and elbows is worse. This is puzzling because of the plaquenil and amount of prednisone I am taking.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your help. Bern

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #2
    tinav
    (female)

tinav HB User
    Re: Feet Swelling

Dear cookingmom, I have been experiencing problems with my feet being swollen. This occurs more in one foot than the other. I have also had my right lower leg do the same thing. My feet have been having pains and occasional burning as well. I also have SLE and antiphosoliphid syndrome. I am not on prednisone at the present time but when I was taking it it seemed to be helping. I am now on Methotrexate and it is not agreeing with me. In the past 4 weeks I have been experiencing painful swelling in my left hip. It is not the joint. It feels like the tissue is swollen but I dont know. I quess I'll find out at my next visit.
    tinav

Old 06-29-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
    cookingmom
    (female)

cookingmom HB User

Hi Tinav,
    Just wondering how you are doing? How is the swelling? I am still getting it every day. I start out okay in the morning and then by afternoon, my toes look like little sausages. I too sometimes get the pain and burning but not all the time.

How are you doing with the methotrexate? I am now down to 20 mg. of Prednisone. I can't wait until I am down to 0 - I feel like I look like the goodyear blimp. Nothing fits me.

I hope you are doing better. Take care, Bern

Old 06-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
    Ali04
    (female)

Ali04 HB User

hi!
    i too have aps and sle.
    my feet start out normal in the am..but by night they are huge and it is pretty hard to walk. i asked the rheum about it, but he says may be due to my high bp (taking pills and diaretic) and/or kidney function.

have you had your kidney function checked? i am too on 12mg prednisone. it is a maintenance dose while i figure out which drug i will take.

the feet thing stinks. but it is helpful to know i am not the only one walking around (well, shuffling) with two swollen piggies for feet!!

good luck

Old 06-30-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
    cookingmom
    (female)

cookingmom HB User

Hi Ali04-

That is exactly what happens with my feet - good in the morning - fat and hurting by late afternoon. I have not had any problems with my blood pressure. I do have a moderate leak in the mitral valve of my heart but have not had any problems with that. I just take a heart medicine to control a rapid heart rate.

I have not had my kidney function checked. I see my rheumie on the 18th, if things don't get any worse I will ask her then what she thinks. My overall joint pain seems to be getting worse which I don't understand since I am still on the plaquenil and prednisone. I have cycled down from 30 to 12.5 on the prednisone but I have done that gradually.

I hope you get some relief - let me know if you dr. comes up with anything else and I will do the same. Good luck to you. Bern

Old 07-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #6
    oeee
    (female)

oeee HB User

Hi. My feet swell all the time and I too am on prednisone as well as nine other medications. I have found that sometimes all these drugs work and sometimes they do not...its just one of those things. I hope they get better soon though. My joints are continually swollen- so I know the feeling. Feel better.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
    Ali04
    (female)

Ali04 HB User

hey bern,
    well, i was at the rheums on thursday...blood kidney function is low...
    he said it is build up of fluid. told me to put feet up..easy for him to say!!
    i work full time!! lol!!

good luck. i may be joing a study for drug to treat lupus. hopefully i am eligible since i already participated in one.

ali

Old 07-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
    cookingmom
    (female)

cookingmom HB User

Hi Ali,
    I just left you a post on the thread on prednisone side effects Do you still weigh 115 - I am so jealous

What do you do about the blood kidney function being low? If you have a build up of fluid are they going to do something to get rid of it?

I hope you get into the study - I am sure that is interesting and ultimately helpful to so many people. good luck to you too. Bern

Old 07-03-2005, 07:38 AM   #9
    Ali04
    (female)

Ali04 HB User

hi bern!
    i take a diaretic, plus a blood pressure pill. my bp was 190/100. now it is almost down to below the 130 number on the top.

i still weigh 115 pounds. i dont have an appetite most times so the pred didnt cause an issue for me. i dont know what would happen if i took 60mg for a year..maybe a big difference!! i went from 60 and weined down within a few months and stayed on 12.

i did lymphostat b study one year ago, but dropped out because my inr was a huge issue. it was up..down..up..down..i got too worried about a bleed or a clot, so i dropped out. i dont think it did anything anyway. my lupus is active as ever. i still have the cellcept sitting in med cabinet, but am waiting to get onto a study. they target b cells which is the root of all these antibodies.

good luck honey. the pred side effects will go away. i think it helped me that i didnt care at the time if i was fat/thin/obese. i just want it gone. if pred helps (and it did for a while) i dont care what size i am!! i hope you find peace within yourself to not care about it either.

love,
    ali

Closed Thread