It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

Sunburn And Itching Bad!!!!!!!!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
lpears123
(female)

lpears123 HB User
Sunburn And Itching Bad!!!!!!!!!

I got really sunburned this weekend while boating all day...I really burned on my back and now it is itching like I have never itched before...has any one had this happen before with a sunburn?...by the way I was putting on sun block spf 45 every 2 hours...I also have white spots in the middle of the burn that itches the worst....I have sunburned a lot worse than this before and this is the worst itch I have ever had !! Help I have tried Benadryl,hydrocortisone sunburn spray...help i cant stand it!

Thanks!!!!! Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Pixii
(female)

Pixii HB User
Re: Sunburn And Itching Bad!!!!!!!!!

Lori.. next time that happens.. use Noxzema (lotion or cream. don't matter) on it.. has always helped me with the nasty itch.. course I don't get in the sun very much anymore.. me learned me lesson on that one..

Old 08-04-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Boolady
(female)

Boolady HB User

I can no longer expose my legs to the sun. Only my lower legs (knees down) will experience this problem so far. It doesn't matter what protection or sunscreen I use, this still happens so I have to keep covered up. I won't get any reaction until the sun goes down. Then I start to itch severely and as I scratch, my legs turn bright red and look as if they have been scallded. They itch, burn and feel hot. They will turn darker (blackish) as the days go by and it takes about a week to be totally gone. I use the green gel, Aloe Vera (not lotions) and it takes away the itch and pain as long as I keep it on and keep the legs uncovered and indoors as much as possible during that time. Beware of Noxema on a bad burn as it can cause blistering if it pulls a bad burn out too quickly.
I see a dermatologist in a couple of days and I hope he can help. Unfortunately I have to get the burn so he can see what I'm dealing with.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
hangin
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Hi Lori

I was going to say the same thing as Boolady, Aloe Vera. I have a plant I have grown for years that I cut off one of the limbs and use the gel on anything I get on my skin.

You can buy 100% aloe vera at some drug stores, health stores are your best bet. Try to get the one that has a little bit of lidocaine in it, it will numb the pain and itchiness. Some aloe vera will say 100 % but contain some alcohol, you do not want that. There are also some OTC lotions and cream that have lidocaine for sunburns you can buy.

I have such fair skin that I when I am in the sun, even though I have sun screen on, I cover up everything and try to have an unmbrella handy. I am always dodging for shade and wear a hat at all times.

Also, the aloe vera is very good at helping to cool down your sunburn and will help with healing and any type of scaring you might get. I use aloe for any type of bite, scrape, burn, I get on my body.

Just remember, as I am always telling my husband who has lupus, no more sun I know it is hard but the pain is not worth it.

Good luck, I hope you get some relief.

Peace and love, Janet

Old 08-05-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
goldenwings
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello Lori,

Have you been diagnosed as having lupus? The only reason I am asking because being in the sun is one of the main things that is a no no. Not all lupus patients have a reaction to the sun of course, but I feel it is always best to take precautions. Were you covered up even though you were using sun block? Were you out in the sun like this between 11 - 3?

I am sorry if I sound like an old fusspot, but I just cannot understand why you would do this. Apart from having lupus - if you do have it - skin cancer is such a huge risk too.

Take care,

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 08-05-2005 at 04:59 PM.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #6
Boolady
(female)

Boolady HB User
Thumbs up Re: Sunburn And Itching Bad!!!!!!!!!

This is a follow-up to what I wrote. I did see the dermatologist this weekend and he said I have severe sun sensativity due to the S.L.E. He told me to use a 60 sun block and even then to do that for only short periods and not often. Mostly I'm to keep covered up. This can be very warm but beats the itching and pain involved with the alternative. Hope this helped!

Closed Thread