It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Undifferential Connective Tissue Disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
    kiddoat48
    (female)

kiddoat48 HB User
    Question Undifferential Connective Tissue Disease

[[COLOR=Magenta]FONT=Georgia]Does anyone here have undifferential connective tissue disease? I have been recently diagnosis and having a hard time finding information. Is it the same as Mixed Connective Tissue disease? New to site, hope to find some answer![/FONT]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Undifferential Connective Tissue Disease

Hi & welcome, I think UCTD and MCTD are somewhat different. FYI, that's from a lupus hardcover (see below) I keep by my desk---NOT a doctorly opinion! (I'm just a patient, like the rest of us here.)

BOOK IDEAS: There are some fine lupus hardcovers that would mention UCTD and MCTD, which you could find in most libraries & bookstores. Two that come to mind are (1) Dr. Robert Lahita's, and (2) Dr. Daniel Wallace's.

Dr. Wallace describes UCTD as not lupus, but sharing some of same symptoms (but not the worst possible lupus symptoms). Over time, some of these people do NOT progress to a full Dx of ANYTHING (their problems clear). Others are Dx'ed with something OTHER than UCTD, e.g., lupus, or scleroderma, or rheumatoid arthritis, or primary Raynaud's, or polymyositis, or MCTD. Still others stay Dx'ed with UCTD.

MCTD apparently has something quite particular that DOES separate it from the others: it *requires* a positive anti-RNP *and* a positive ANA.

Hope this gives you more to work with. If you haven't seen the "sticky posts" at the front of the Board, they could help, too. With best wishes, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 08-09-2005 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling & typo's

Old 08-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
    kiddoat48
    (female)

kiddoat48 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Undifferential Connective Tissue Disease

Thank you Vee I will look up those book. I have myofibroalgia for years, but now the doctor say I have not been treated for that and it is secondary to to the Undifferential connective tissue disease. It is still very confusing. I am going to be starting Plaquenil after an eye exam. I have been six for years, one thing after another. I am hoping to get some definite answer. I also have alot of kidney problems... I just don't seem to fit into any of these boards??

Old 08-09-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya kiddo,

Welcome to our family. I am not a medical doctor, but have a little informtion for you.

The term "undifferentiated connective tissue disease" (UCTD) is used to describe people who have symptoms and certain lab test results that look like a systemic autoimmune disorder or connective tissue disease. But they don't have enough of such characteristics to meet the diagnosis for a well-defined connective tissue disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or scleroderma. Thus, they seem to have another, similar disorder that doctors call undifferentiated connective tissue disease."

[A systemic autoimmune disorder means that it affects your whole body (systemic) and that your immune system, which normally protects you from outside invaders such as bacteria, turns on parts of your own body and attacks them as if they were invaders. Connective tissue is the "glue" that supports and connects various parts of the body; it includes skin, cartilage, and other tissue in the joints and surrounding the heart and lungs and within the kidney and other organs.]

Although the word "undifferentiated" sounds vague, rheumatologists know this term describes a real problem. It does not mean that your doctor does not know what to call what you have. Further tess may be needed for the doctor to give a firm diagnosis.

Hope you can come back often.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 08-09-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
    kiddoat48
    (female)

kiddoat48 HB User

Thank You that was most helpful! I was just not sure if this disease and mixed connective tissue disease are the same? Do you know?

Old 08-09-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya kiddo,

No, they are not the same. MCTD is a definite diagnosis of more than one underlying problem, whereas UCTD does not show a specific problem.

I know it's a lot to take in but again here is some more information.

Connective tissue diseases are a special group of rheumatic diseases (diseases that feature abnormalities of the muscles and/or joints) that can be associated with arthritis. The cause(s) for the connective tissue diseases is (are) unknown. They are characterized as a group by the presence of spontaneous over-activity of the body's immune (defense) system. This over-activity results in the production of unusual antibodies that are found in the blood. The antibodies themselves may or may not cause any problems in patients with connective tissues diseases, but they are commonly found in the blood as an characteristic feature.

The classic connective tissue diseases include systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, polymyositis, and dermatomyositis. Each of these diseases affects people in a characteristic way and causes typical findings that doctors can recognize during an examination. Each also has characteristic blood test abnormalities and abnormal antibody patterns.

When these conditions have not developed the classic features of a particular disease, doctors will often refer to the condition as "undifferentiated connective tissue disease," or UCTD. This designation implies that the characteristic features that are used to define the classic connective tissue diseases are not present, but that some symptoms or signs of a connective tissue disease exist. For example, a person may have a special antibody in the blood, such as antinuclear antibody and muscle pains, but no other definable features of a classic connective tissue disease. Individuals with undifferentiated connective tissue disease may never develop a fully definable condition or they may eventually develop a classic connective tissue disease.

Mixed connective tissue disease, which was first described in 1972, is "classically" considered as an "overlap," or mix, of three specific connective tissue diseases; systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, and polymyositis. Patients with this pattern of illness (that is, with MCTD) have features of each of these three diseases. They also typically have very high quantities of antinuclear antibodies (ANAs) and antibodies to ribonucleoprotein (anti-RNP) detectable in their blood. The symptoms of many of these patients eventually evolve to become dominated by features of one of the three component illnesses, most commonly the scleroderma features.

It is now known, however, that overlap syndromes can involve any combination of the connective tissue diseases. Therefore, for example, patients can have a combination of rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus (hence, the coined name "rhupus"). Accordingly, today, true mixed connective tissue disease is diagnosed when patients demonstrate the clinical features (exam findings) of overlap illnesses.

Hope this helps.

goldenwings

Old 08-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #7
    kiddoat48
    (female)

kiddoat48 HB User
    Wink Re: Undifferential Connective Tissue Disease

How do you know all this. if I may ask? You sems very knowledgable. I really appreaciate it! Again Thank You.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #8
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User

Dear kiddo,

Of course you may ask. I have had SLE since I was young, over 30 years now and I have done a lot of research. I only ever give out information in my capacity as a person with lupus and not in any type of medical way. Always speak to you doctor in regard to treatment options or anything like that.

The main thing I feel is that we with lupus don't have enough emotional support from the medical profession as our illness is not really one that is easily diagnosed, and therefore treated. Also even non medical people can wonder why we are ill when we look so well. I hope that I am able to offer this type of support here and I also receive it from the other memebrs of this board. Never be afraid to ask here about whatever it is that troubles you, there is normally always someone who will be able to help you.

I have other medical conditions, some connected to SLE, others not. I am unable to work now because of physical disabilities - not caused by lupus - so I come here to offer support as much as I can when I am well enough.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 08-09-2005 at 01:44 PM.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #9
    kiddoat48
    (female)

kiddoat48 HB User

Goldenwings you have been most helpful, Thank You very much!!!

Old 08-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #10
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear kiddo, I actually think you are probably a very good "fit" for this Board! Unless someone some day tells you it's classic RA---and you find a better fit somewhere else, that is. Bottom line: I think you should stick with us for awhile!

I never suspected until my mid 40's that I should be looking for, as one dr. FINALLY suggested, a "single bullet theory". Yet even HE didn't suggest what that theory might be. I'd seen GP's, dermies, urologists, gastroenterologists, OB/GYN's, and even a virologist for a consult (and probably some I've forgotten). Here, all along, I needed a *rheumatologist*. And Plaquenil. And sun avoidance. (Too soon old & too late wise, huh? )

I wonder how many "classic cases" there really are of these diseases? I've seen charts with connective tissue diseases & their variants: the charts ran on for pages.

I wasn't "classic", either, within Ro-positive lupus. 70% of these people have a positive ANA, and I (silly me!) was in the 30% group that do not. My Manhattan dr. called me "a subset of a subset".

I wonder, if you added up people exhibiting some variant of these diseases, if the total of those would actually outweigh the total who have a more "classic" form? Hmmmm...

Don't feel alone, is what I'm really trying to say. The range is huge, but the only REAL goals are to get treatment as warranted, to feel better, and to have fewer "lows". Plus, you have us to talk with now! I honestly think that alone is a step forward for you, as the people here have a HUGE range of experience with all sorts of things.

Bye for now. And hang in there, OK? Vee

Closed Thread