It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• My dog has been diagnosed with Lupus!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
    Brandy Lee
    (female)

Brandy Lee HB User
    My dog has been diagnosed with Lupus!

I didn't know this was possible. I'm told that it was quite a fluke that it was even caught. Her blood platelet level was dangerously low -- something that wasn't even being looked for at the time. I took her to the vet due to a sore on her front paw that had previously been deemed a "lick sore". After a month of watching it grow bigger, I took her again and asked for a closer look.

Anyway, Mandi's 7, and I love her to bits. She has been exhibiting many symptoms since her diagnoses a couple weeks ago. One thing that I haven't been able to get a clear answer about is that she sort of shakes, and it seems to happen consistently when she exhales. Does this make sense? Anyway, I don't mean any insensitivity toward anyone. I'm sorry for all who have to deal with this. I just hope to be able to get feedback sometimes on what Mandi might be dealing with. Thank you!

Last edited by moderator2; 04-12-2007 at 07:59 AM. Reason: closed - human health topics only please on this website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
    realisticchic
    (female)

realisticchic HB User
    Re: My dog has been diagnosed with Lupus!

Poor Mandi! In my experience, when dogs shake and they are not unduly cold, it usually means they are in pain.Your dog could have pluerisy, which causes painful breathing, have your vet take a listen to her lungs.Did the vet tell you to give her asprin or any other meds?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
    Brandy Lee
    (female)

Brandy Lee HB User

Thank you for the response!

Mandi has been on 30mg of Prednisone for about three weeks now. This brought her platelet level to an adequate level. Last week, the vet started her on 50mg of Azathioprine in addition to the Prednisone. The plan is to get the Azathioprine working and then to taper her off the Prednisone.

The vet is aware of Mandi's shaking; it's when she started the new med. I'll be seeing her again on Thursday for more blood work etc. I will definitely talk to her about her lungs.

I agree: poor Mandi. Thank you again for your response.

Last edited by Brandy Lee; 03-19-2007 at 10:23 AM.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User
    Smile Re: My dog has been diagnosed with Lupus!

Hi there,

I have not been here for while and have only just seen your post.

My good friend, who also has lupus, has a beautiful doggie named Flo. Flo is unwell and has an autoimmune illness just like her Mum. She also has liver problems, just like her Mum.

It is a cruel twist of fate that your doggie has an automimmune illness too. As you know though - no need to say really - but lupus and other autoimmune illnesses can't be transmitted to either humans or pets.

Just let your little doggie know she is not alone and give her bigs hugs from me and sloppy kisses from Flo.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 04-10-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

I was misdiagnosed with Lupus for over 8 years and when I was finally properly diag. with Lyme Disease and started reading people's personal stories I realized that my dog Alex had contracted Lyme Disease the same time I did. I never knew what was wrong with her until just recently when reading a story by a gentleman who lost his dog to Lyme and the symptoms were exactly the same as Alex's. And the fact that I became sick the same time Alex did, pretty much convinces me she had Lyme. She was only 6 months old when she got sick, she started having rashes on her stomach which I thought where spider bites or ant bites and then she started limping and shaking, then her fur started falling out. I was so sick at the time that my husband took care of her, and I never put two and two together until now. Has your vet checked your dog for Lyme Disease? I have never heard of a dog having Lupus, did the vet say this was common, or that they had seen it before in their own practice? Lyme mimics Lupus in so many ways, that's why my Rheumi thought I had it even with neg. Lupus tests. If your vet hasn't tested for LD I would definately request it. And if you start feeling under the weather too, please get checked. We don't pass autoimmune diseases on to our pets or vice-versa, having went through what I went through I would advise anyone who is sick and has sick pets to get tested for Lyme. Good Luck and I hope your dog gets better, unfortunately no one could save Alex, and I would hate for anyone else to go through what Alex and I went through. Also my son was diag. with Lyme also, but didn't start getting sick until 6 years ago, I don't know if he got it from a tick from Alex or if he contracted it later from some other source. If I had gotten a proper diag. 8 years ago, I would have known what was wrong with my son too, and saved him years of sickness. Sincerely Sarah

Old 04-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

Wow, that is really bizarre.. Dogs with Lupus? (Poor doggie!)

According to Johns Hopkins Arthritis Center, vets diagnose it via the rash... this is how the first President Bush's dog, Millie, was diagnosed with Lupus. (However, like Sarah said, Malar rashes are not specific to Lupus). I would definitely have the dog tested for Lyme, too. Dogs DO get Lyme. Ticks love dogs.. (Recently, I was having a discussion with an in-law about how their dog died from Lyme Disease. Their mother said "How can a dog die from LD?" I just shook my head. )

Closed Thread