It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• New-Help with Lab Work

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
    jimnmnj
    (female)

jimnmnj HB User
    New-Help with Lab Work

I went to my primary care doctor because I have been feeling lousy for months. She ordered some blood tests and I am trying to figure out what the results mean.

ANA SCREEN: POSITIVE
    ANA PATTERN: DUAL

ANA PATTERN:SPECKLED
    TITER: 1:640

PATTERN:CENTROMERE
    TITER: 1:320

REFERENCE RANGE < 1:40 NEGATIVE
    1:40 - 1:80 LOW ANTIBODY LEVEL
    > 1:80 ELEVATED ANTIBODY LEVEL

She is sending me to a Rheumatologist for further testing and said these results could POSSIBLY indicate Lupus. I also have Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroid). My mom has RA. My main symptom has been extremely excessive fatigue.

How "bad" are these test results? What are the chances that this is lupus?

THANKS so much for any info!

k

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
    realisticchic
    (female)

realisticchic HB User
    Re: New-Help with Lab Work

The results are not too bad, in that, they do not definitively point to Lupus. A positive ana can be caused by a lot of autoimmune conditions not just Lupus. The rheumatologist will undoubtedly order blood tests to detect anti-bodies that are specific to Lupus, and maybe RA since you have a family history of that. The tests the Rheumy orders are the ones to watch.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
    jimnmnj
    (female)

jimnmnj HB User

Thanks for the reply. I am just a little freaked out by this and wanted to get any feedback folks could offer.

If you don't mind my asking, what Lupus symptoms did you have initially that made the doctor order the ANA test? Looking back were you having symptoms long before your diagnosis? What kinds of symptoms?

Thanks for any info!

k

Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hello. Re: your questions, there are 3 "sticky posts" ( = permanent posts) at the top of the thread list that contain useful info.

The one about TEST RESULTS has several posts, and one citing a resource. Go to it & you'll find descriptions of specific autoantibody, complement, etc. tests that are likely to be the ones the rheumie will order.

Another lists the ACR criteria for classifying systemic lupus (SLE). A person is supposed to fufill 4 or more of these 11 to be dx'ed with SLE. These do NOT have to be met all at once, by the way. Once met, each stays "met": think of making a checkmark in indelible ink.

The other "sticky" discusses antiphospholipid syndrome, a blood clotting disorder common with lupus & but also occurring standalone.

SYMPTOMS are in one of those stickies, too. I had problems episodically from childhood on. Shin & joint pain & fatigue started in early teens. Severe irritable bowel started in my 20's. Then migraines, urinary problems, sciatica, back pain, anemia, etc. Last to occur were photosensitive targetlike rashes on arms & torso. My ANA was always negative but anti-Ro was positive. My Dx was SCLE = subacute cutaneous LE. It's a "subset" of SLE, and it's thought to have reduced odds of kidney & CNS problems.

Hope this is useful! I hope you keep posting & wish you good luck with your upcoming appt. Regards & best wishes, Vee

Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
    realisticchic
    (female)

realisticchic HB User

I had symptoms for several years before I was diagnosed. At the time of diagnosis, I had a disting body rash, malar rash on my face, fever, swollen glands, night sweats, liver, kidney,heart and lung involvement, dry eyes and cosochondritis....in short, I was a mess. My MD had been treating me for a suspected case of ringworm, gave me the drug Griseofulvin (people with Lupus are horribly allergic to it), the drug pushed me over the edge so to speak, so I was referred to a rhuemy, who through examination and a battery of tests diagnosed Lupus quickly.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
    jimnmnj
    (female)

jimnmnj HB User

Thank you VeeJ. I did look through those sticky posts. I guess I am a bit overwhelmed by it all and wasn't sure what to make of my lab work - even after reading about it. I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid problems several years ago and I was overwhelmed by all that info, too. Now I feel like an "expert" on thyroid labs and symptoms. I guess it just takes a while to process it all. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

k

Old 05-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
    jimnmnj
    (female)

jimnmnj HB User

thank you realisticchic for telling me about your symptoms and experiences! I have a lot of "symptoms" - I am not sure how many of them are lupus related... but I really haven't had much of a rash like everyone talks about. And everything I read about lupus mentions "the rash". Is it possible to have it without the rash?

k

Closed Thread