It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• could this be lupus?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
    kw123
    Veteran
    (female)

kw123 HB User
    could this be lupus?

I have been suffering with severe anxiety for 10 years. The last year I have had flares of neck and low back pain, fatigue, stomach issues, roseacea,fatigue,flares of joint pain, white things floating in urine,dizziness, and headaches. Thyroid fine. Last blood work low WBC but that didn't seem to faze my Dr He said it wasn't really low. I am stumped. Any clues? How do I get my Dr to test for lupus.Oh I also have light sensitivity in my eyes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: could this be lupus?

KW, I think you should just ASK your dr. to refer you to a rheumatologist known for expertise in lupus.

FYI, evaluation involves taking a careful lifelong history in addition to running specialty tests. Refer to the "sticky posts" ( = permanent info posts) at the top of the thread list. One contains the ACR criteria. To be Dx'ed with *systemic* lupus (SLE), you generally must meet 4 or more, at some point, not necessarily all at once. (For other, lesser types of lupus, you meet fewer than 4.)

You cite rosacea in your list of problems within the past year. There is a "malar rash" common in lupus that can be confused with rosacea. If inactive when you go to your appt., maybe you have a pic lying around that you could take along? (While a pic isn't definitive, it could give the doctor something to start with, rash-wise.) The rheumie should also get copies of all recent labs, etc. (Retain copies for your own files, too.)

And WBC is definitely one of many things that can go off in lupus, per the list.

If met with disbelief or reluctance, just keep pressing. I do hope it's not lupus; but if it turns out to be, know that with ongoing care, many people can remain reasonably mild. Typically it takes awhile for answers to evolve, so don't let that derail you, OK? Let us know how you're doing when you can. Meanwhile, good luck! Sincerely, Vee

Closed Thread