It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Baker's Cyst

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
    greenetatermama
    (female)

greenetatermama HB User
    Baker's Cyst

I'm telling you... Having a Chronic issue is NO FUN!!
    I went into the Rhume on Friday for my regular check up. I have been having Knee Pain for about 3 weeks. It feels like I have a lump behind my right knee.
    I showed it to her and she agreed it was swollen. She took an x-ray and she told me I had a legion growing on the back of my Tibia.
    Of course I am FREAKING OUT!! I am thinking about tumors and cutting off my leg... (Being a Paramedic is never a good thing when you're sick because what is in a normal persons imagination is actually a reality for us so we tend to take the imagination up a few notches). Anyway she sent me for an MRI that evening and the thing on my tibia was probably something I have had for a long time and it was not a bad thing. However I have a large Baker's cyst forming on the back of my knee. I guess this is causing a great deal of pressure on my nerve bundles. This would explain all of the pain I am having. I was put back on Prednisone (yea for me) and I am supposed to get my blood tests back Monday. As of right now, I still have SCLE. She is running my C3 C4 and an anti-DNA to see if anything is active in the old SLE department. So far all that I have had in my tests have been the ANA and the Anti RO/ssa.

SO I have 3 questions...
    Have any of you ever had a cyst like this?
    Is this common with SLE?
    Did your Docs ever tell you why it developed?
    How did you get rid of it??

Jamie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
    jeanne57
    (female)

jeanne57 HB User
    Re: Baker's Cyst

I a have baker's cyst. they usually do nothing. however they can drain if it hurts too bad. I need to have knee repacement surgery and I asked them if the can remove the cyst. They said normally no. they gave me some pain pills to take when it hurts. i had blood tests ran and i have a positive ANA. With this I have also been diagnoised with Raynauld's phonemen. I have this in my hands with ulcers on three of my fingers. This stuff is very painfull. My rhumatologist said these are symptons of Lupus. They have put me on procardia and plaqneil. (sp?) All this has happened within the last 4 months.

Jeanne

Old 05-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
    ErinS64
    Veteran
    (female)

ErinS64 HB User

I have them on both of my knees as well. Yes, they do hurt quite a bit. I am going for my mri next week. My rheumi is talking about steroid injections into the knee joint but waiting for the results of the mri first. I was told that if you put ice on them it will help. I have tried this but to be honest with you I cant stand ice on me so I may not be leaving it long enough.

Erin
    Dallas TX

Old 05-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User
    Smile Re: Baker's Cyst

Hi there,

I have had 2 Baker's Cysts and they are not as I am aware part of having lupus. Lot of people who don't have any other medical problems can get them. They are not age related either, children can get them.

They can be caused by the herniation of the knee joint capsule out into the back of the knee, which is more common in adults. This type of Baker's cyst is commonly associated with a tear in the meniscal cartilage of the knee. In older adults, this condition is frequently associated with degenerative arthritis of the knee.

A large cyst may cause some discomfort or stiffness but generally has no symptoms. Baker's cysts usually disappear spontaneously, but the time in which they do so is variable.

Thing is on both occasions I had a venous scan done to make sure there wasn't any cause for concern regarding a DVT. This is the normal procedure to have done to make sure.

Hope this information is helpful to you. Take care.

goldenwings

Old 05-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi, i do not have lupus but just happened to see this as i was scrolling on down to the pain boards. i had one heck of a huge bakers cyst back in 05. they are actually caused by a tear of some degree within the synovial sac that surrounds the joint. somewhere inside your knees,you DO have a small or larger tear in that sac somewhere. that is how the fluid starts accumulating in the back that actually creates this type of 'cyst".it generally takes the path of least resistance. in my case,i also had/have other issues as well that had to be fixed surgically. that cyst was also removed at the very same time and tear repaired.

the thing about the bakers is unless you actually have that tear repaired,even if you aspirate the accumulating fluid,they just keep coming back since our bodies are constantly generating synovial fliud to bathe the joints. by the time i was able to actually have the surgery(we kept holding off since i also have RSD in that very same knee)this one cyst was about the size of just bigger than a tennis ball and was also pushing its way into the empty spaces surrounding the other structures within my knee. my ortho called them 'fingerlets" to i kind of had two,one normal one really insane.

i would really see an ortho about what your actual options are with this just getting this fixed. mine was really protruding horribly out the back of my knee by the time we decided it just had to be fixed. it can be fixed much more easily when they are smaller than when you wait too long,thats all.in some cases it can just be done arthoscopically, but when it gets too big for that like mine was. i had to have a very large incision made in the back of my knee just to do what needed to be done in there to sew up that tear and take it all out.

just wanted to let you know what i knew based upon my experience. didn't mean to intrude on your board. but we all suffer together in many ways so i guess that means something too. thanks for letting me share. Marcia

Old 05-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
    ErinS64
    Veteran
    (female)

ErinS64 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
    Hi there,

I have had 2 Baker's Cysts and they are not as I am aware part of having lupus. Lot of people who don't have any other medical problems can get them. They are not age related either, children can get them.

They can be caused by the herniation of the knee joint capsule out into the back of the knee, which is more common in adults. This type of Baker's cyst is commonly associated with a tear in the meniscal cartilage of the knee. In older adults, this condition is frequently associated with degenerative arthritis of the knee.

A large cyst may cause some discomfort or stiffness but generally has no symptoms. Baker's cysts usually disappear spontaneously, but the time in which they do so is variable.

Thing is on both occasions I had a venous scan done to make sure there wasn't any cause for concern regarding a DVT. This is the normal procedure to have done to make sure.

Hope this information is helpful to you. Take care.

goldenwings
    My rheumi told me that the bakers cysts are more commonly seen in RA than lupus since lupus does not normally destroy the joint. That is why they want to do the MRI too, since it could just be my knee joints wearing out. I have had them for over a year now. They don't hurt all the time though. Just uncomfortable most of the time.

Erin
    Dallas TX

Old 05-07-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Erin,

I have the venous scans because of the risk of DVT's as I said. I hope the doctors do this for you to make doubly sure.

If you can't use 'proper' ice, could you perhaps use an ice spray pain reliever ? Short sharp burst of coldness but worth it for the relief maybe ?

Hope that it gets sorted out for you.

Take care

goldenwings

Old 05-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
    ErinS64
    Veteran
    (female)

ErinS64 HB User

I had a DVT once a little over a year ago when it all started. My left leg is really bad. not only do I have the bulging in the back of the knee it is hardening really bad right above the need on my thigh in the front and back. It is a really thick mass. With all of the lymphoma scare alot of things got put on the back burner. He has been concetrating on my kidneys mostly. They are getting pretty bad and I have had to start cytoxan IV treatments once a month. I am going to have my 5th treatment this month. We will just have to see if it works. But it does limit what they can do since my immune system is so compromised right now. Even on the 1200mg a month cytoxan my white cell count is still pretty high considering. That is what they are so concerned about. My lymphnodes are still all very swollen too.

Autoimmune is so weird! There is just no rhyme or reason to it and it is so widespread that you just have one problem after another.

Erin
    Dallas TX

Closed Thread