It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Dr diagnosed me with lupus last week

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
    krlsgrl
    (female)

krlsgrl HB User
    Dr diagnosed me with lupus last week

Hi,

Anyone else here think that their medications might be causing lupus symptoms? I read about drug-induce lupus erythmatosus (DILE) and I think that is what I have.

I don't have the face rash usually but if I get flustered or stressed out, my face will "blush" in the malar rash area. Evidently blood tests alerted my dr that I have lupus; I've also had bad lower back pain, aching all over, and fatigue. But I also have Lyme disease, which can cause some of the same symptoms.
    I checked out the meds I take, and thyroid meds which I take, can cause DILE. Also, i was taking spironolactone for my hormonal acne, and I guess that it contains a sulfur molecule and can cause DILE.
    This is my second day off the spiro. I hate to think of my cystic acne breaking out again, but I feel better off it already. the thyroid med i take daily is not optional!!! so i am in a "wait and see" mode right now. Hoping that treatment for Lyme will resolve the other problems.
    I do seem to have Raynaud's in my fingertips, which turn white, in winter when I take the spiro. I guess that is another lupus symptom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Dr diagnosed me with lupus last week

Soberseeker, welcome! Apparently there are meds that induce lupus & others that merely exacerbate/speed it. An excellent source on this & all facets is a hardcover by Dr. Daniel Wallace, available in many libraries & bookstores. Look for the third edition, which is the latest.

Blood tests *plus* certain very specific symptoms are diagnostic of lupus. There are 3 "sticky posts" (permanent info posts) at the top of the thread list that cover this & other useful stuff.

Also, thyroid problems are fairly common in people with lupus.

As to whether your meds could be the trigger, I'm just a patient, so couldn't say. But I *think* certain blood tests are more likely to be positive in DILE than in SLE. Is your dr. a rheumatologist? Did he/she say which of your tests were positive, and whether those tilt to SLE or DILE? In your mind, did your symptoms appear mainly before or after your acne &/or thyroid meds?

On what was your Lyme Dx based? (Just curious.) I was treated for Lyme, but incorrectly. I had a single targetlike lesion on my back which a dermie felt was atypical but "could be" Lyme, so I was given a 21-day antibiotic. But then more lesions appeared---4 times yearly, for 4 more years!---on upper arms & back. And accompanied by worsening of pre-existing problems (GI, urinary, fatigue, joint pain, weight & hair loss, migraines, anemia, etc.) Here it turned out I had a variant called SCLE, Dx'ed by a teaching hospital rheumie & dermatopathologist, based on positive anti-Ro, skin biopsy results, & symptoms. I've been on Plaquenil & sun avoidance ever since.

I hope you post more & that something here is somehow useful to you. Bye for now, with very best wishes, Vee

Old 05-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Dr diagnosed me with lupus last week

Krlsgrl, I just realized that I addressed my reply with WRONG NAME. I sorry! V.

Closed Thread