It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• blood work question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
    Wallis86
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wallis86 HB User
    blood work question

I got some blood work back from the rheumatologist today that confused me, as well as my doctor. Last month I had tested ANA 1:80 homogeneous. My doc retested my ANA with the other lupus blood work. Today my ANA came back neg, but my anti-ds DNA came back positive. My question is, is it more likely that the first ANA was false positive, or that it was false negative? I know the ds-DNA is lupus specific and correlates with a positive ANA all the time, so what could it mean if my ANA was negative this time? Any input would be fantastic. I just got Dxed with MS too today. :/

The following user gives a hug of support to Wallis86:
    Ladygolfer (02-21-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
    realisticchic
    (female)

realisticchic HB User
    Re: blood work question

Wallis,
    I think given your MS diagnosis and positive dsdna, that the second negative ana was a false negative, just my opinion, no medical knowledge. Between the time the two ana tests were run, had you been put on any meds like prednisone or plaquenil? Those can turn a positive ana negative, I know because that happened with me before. It is also my understanding that ana can fluctuate on its own.
    P.S. Sorry about the MS DX and all of the Lupus related stuff you are dealing with on top of it. (((((((hugs)))))) Sometimes life is really rough

Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
    Wallis86
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wallis86 HB User
    Re: blood work question

chic,
    i've been on low dose pred for about 11 months now, so i don't think that did it. all i can think of could be that i forgot to take my methotrexate a few weeks intermittently around the first test and not around the second. as an immune suppressing drug, it might make a difference. thanks for the support

Closed Thread