It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

remedies for mouth ulcers?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
sherryrenee0423
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User
Question remedies for mouth ulcers?

I have a whopper of an ulcer under my tongue...actually i think it is two joined together (how lovely). I've been gargling with salt water, but it hasn't done a lot of good so far. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm thinking about squirting a whole tube of oragel in my mouth, but I'm scared I might drool on myself at work lol.

Last edited by sherryrenee0423; 08-12-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
TisJustMe
(female)

TisJustMe HB User
Re: remedies for mout ulcers

Hi! I find that acidophilus capsules help with my lupus mouth sores as well as my geographic tongue (which I am convinced is another symptom of my lupus). You can get them at the pharmacy or health food store. They are a bit pricey but well worth it, I think I pay around $12 Canadian for 100 pills.

Tis

Old 08-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
Bryansmom
(female)

Bryansmom HB User

What pain meds are you on? I find that when mine are really bad (oh,,I feel for you!) that I take my NSAIDS (or vicodin) and that takes the edge off. It doesn't heal the ulcer, though. Sometimes if mine are bad enough, I'll let my rheumy know and she'll put me on a short burst and taper of prednisone, the wonder drug that works wonders.

THere's a topical steroid paste that one of my drs. prescribed once called kenalog (I think that's it). This creates a soothing "skin" over the ulcer and delivers the steroid right to the spot where it's needed.

Unfortunately, nothing OTC really helps. Salt water is probably the best at soothing, but you have to constantly do it.
Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.
Michelle

Old 08-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
justme74
(female)

justme74 HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your mouth ulcers--those can be very painful and annoying. I find that Vitamin B-12 helps and avoidance of gluten--it worked for me. I would get them constantly and other than prednisone or some type of steroid they would not go away. The thing is that they would come back after two weeks of being done with the steroid treament. I had nothing to lose with this alternative treatment so I tried it and it worked. I haven't had mouth sores since April. I know it's unorthodox but it worked for me--a gluten free diet--avoidance of wheat, rye barley, "white" flour and b-12 and other vitamins. Hope your mouth ulcers go away soon.

Michelle

Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Bevi
(female)

Bevi HB User

I had mouth ulcers in the back of my throat. The doctor said not to use a strong mouthwash because it kills all the bad bacteria but also the good too. You can take liquid benadryl and maalox and lidocain in equal portions mix together and use as a mouthwash. The doctor said to swish it and then swallow. My ulcers were gone pretty quick. You have to have a pres. for the lidocain but it works really well. If you dont like the numbing of the lidocain you can just mix the other two. Hope it helps.

Closed Thread