It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• swollen lymph nodes for 9 mos-anyone else for this long?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
    littleflower70
    (female)

littleflower70 HB User
    swollen lymph nodes for 9 mos-anyone else for this long?

Hi
    Can anyone tell me if they had/have swollen lymph nodes as the first sign of lymphoma? I am extremely worried and went to a surgeon after my mammo
    showed axillary nodes swollen (some moderately so, some mildly swollen but both sides). My GYN sent me to surgeon and he didn't "feel them" so didn't want to put me through unnecessary procedure. I left crying.

My bloodwork seems to always indicate elevated wbc, platelets up and down, elevated ggtp (liver enzyme), anemia and on top of all that my heart is enlarged, and was dx with vitiligo (skin patches of white all over).

I'm at a loss and so worried with all this stuff and these dr's seem to be treating everything as separate entities and isolated events. I think it's all insidious of something manefesting itself. I had swollen lymph nodes in Dec and now they have become larger , same area..

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
    DAwn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
    darkwater
    (female)

darkwater HB User
    Re: swollen lymph nodes for 9 mos-anyone else for this long?

I hope you find some answers, as you seem so anxious about this, which I understand. What makes you ask about lymphoma, specifically? Just the swollen lymph nodes? I guess you would want to rule that out, but as many people here on this board could tell you, it can be something else besides lymphoma when your lymph nodes stay swollen for long periods of time. Since you put this question on the lupus board, I assume that you think you may have some kind of autoimmune disease going on.

What I now know was my first episode of lupus happened years ago and I also had swollen lymph nodes and the little tiny reddish-purplish dots all over my body, along with a lot of other things. I was in a panic and also thought of lymphoma, but my doctor dismissed it and it went away and I didn't think of it until years later when all the other symptoms started happening again. This second time, I would not let my doctor dismiss it, as the lymph nodes in my neck, armpit, and groin area were enlarged and some of them stayed that way for months. Would you believe a dermatologist diagnosed my lupus after examining the skin all over my body and my hair loss, after my internist told me I had some kind of ongoing scalp infection that was keeping my lymph nodes swollen. So, at least get tested for autoimmune disorders such as lupus, as they are one of the things that could cause what you are experiencing.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Littleflower, hi. In addition to what darkwater posted, there are apparently LOTS of causes for swollen lymph glands. Here are some:
    • Infections: strep throat, mumps, measles, ear, teeth (abcessed), mono, TB, STD's, toxoplasmosis, & cat scratch fever
    • Autoimmune & immune: RA, lupus, HIV
    • Cancers: lymphoma & leukemia
    • Meds: certain seizure meds; malaria vaccine

Before your skin turns white, does it do anything ELSE? Do you have lesions? I ask because "discoid" lupus lesions can cause scarring &/or depigmentation. (I know what vitiligo is, in the layperson's sense, that is; I know a couple of people with it.)

Have you seen a rheumatologist for autoimmune bloodwork & urinalysis? Do you have any of the most common "classic" symptoms associated with lupus other than this?

Let us know how you're doing, when you have time, OK? Best wishes, Vee
    P.S. A neighbor had recurrent swollen nodes in her throat area that turned out to be dental problems. Where are yours?

Last edited by VeeJ; 09-24-2008 at 04:31 AM. Reason: added P.S.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Littleflower, I just read something about VTILIGO & searched for your post, because I remembered someone here mentioning it. Apparently vitiligo is also seen in adrenal insufficiency.

I hope you keep seeking answers & find same quickly. All best wishes, Vee

Old 09-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
    eleanor80
    (female)

eleanor80 HB User

I know that in lupus, sun exposure tends to preceed changes in the skin - have you noticed any such pattern when you experience your skin colour changes?

Hope everything goes well for you.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
    mrsfoamy
    (female)

mrsfoamy HB User

I can't remember the last time my lymph nodes weren't swollen. It's been 8 years!

Closed Thread