It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Plaquenil...what Side Effects?..please Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
    topsy123
    (female)

topsy123 HB User
    Plaquenil...what Side Effects?..please Help!

hI, I am starting on Plaqunil tommorrow. I am very unsure about taking this drug. My consultant seems to think I may have Lupus but not 100% sure. He thinks its worth a shot trying this drug.
    I understand there are side effects with most drugs, however one of the side effects that scares the hell out of me is Phsycosis, all be it a rare one, its there in black and white and I am petrified.
    I was quite low a while back with being so ill and my GP geave me Prozac. Three weeks into taking it I went up the wall and had a full blown phsycotic attack. I tried to killl myself and was totally off my head. I was put into a phsyciatric ward for 10 days and taken strate off the drug. They said I was that one in 10,000 who had an adverse reaction to it. So understandibly I am now VERY worried about what Plaqunil will do.
    I would really like to know from you guys any info on this drug, how you get on with it, am I being over cautious?...Should I be worried and so on. Please, please any help would be appreciated....Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Plaquenil...what Side Effects?..please Help!

Topsy, good morning. In your shoes, I wouldn't overworry any really rare side effect of Plaquenil. I'd bet my bottom dollar that many, many more people react in this way to *Prozac & similar drugs* than to little 'ole Plaquenil (assuming no underlying mood problems beyond the milder kind common in people with untreated lupus). I think Plaquenil has been used by lupus patients since WWII; so if it DID have long, ugly track record, we'd see that in all the lupus books & articles---but we don't!

You could ask your dr. for his/her opinion on the odds. You could read what the notable rheumie/authors say (e.g., Dr. Graham Hughes, or Dr. Daniel Wallace, or Dr. Robert Lahita). And you could ask someone you know & trust to stay in close touch at first, to buttress your confidence.

My moods improved as my energy improved & pain (etc.) lessened. Plaquenil & sun avoidance have done wonders for me. I hope you post more when you can, OK? Sending best wishes, Vee

Old 10-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
    topsy123
    (female)

topsy123 HB User

Hi VeeJ
    Thanks very much for your reply, very grateful. The episode with the Prozac really scared me, to the point of not wanting to take anything else again. I do get low, wich considering the pain I get and everything else I think is understandable. My Dr put me on Citalopram, to help me through this low time, I am only on 20mg so a low dose and it has done well for me. When I saw my consultant from the Lupus clinic in London, I asked him if in his opinion he saw any reason for me not to take the Plaquenil with the Citalopram and he said there shoudnt be any problem.
    Today I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with the Plaquenil, along with the Aspirin he prescribed, I am just praying now that no major side effects mentaly, and that hopefully it will help.
    I will post again when I have given this some time to work. I am not sure how long it takes to get into your system fully before you see any effects, here's hoping all goes well.
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply, best wishes to you.......

Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Topsy, I'm glad to read you've asked your dr. good questions & are giving Plaquenil a go. I've read it takes 3-4 months to reach FULL effect. Personally, I noticed a difference in less than one month.

Like you, I also need more anti-inflammatory help, so I take an OTC ibuprofen. I'm a walking barometer. But because so many of my chronic problems abated so dramatically, I'm still much better off.

We'll be hoping for better days ahead for you, so do keep in touch, OK? GOOD LUCK! With my best to you, V.

Closed Thread