It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

ANA and what it means

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2003, 09:06 PM   #1
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 2
Vex HB User
Question ANA and what it means

I'm sure this is a topic that has come up a number of times, so please humor me.

I recently had an ANA and it came back postitive. My doctor then said he ran another "definitive test" that ruled out lupus.

Is there such a think as a "definitive test" for lupus? From what I have been reading, there is no one definitive test that clearly identifies lupus, rather it is a diagnoses arrived at by a combination of numerous symptoms and lab tests.

Also, I have read that 5% of "healthy" people will have a positive ANA. Am I to assume that there is a 95% chance I have some sort of illness and only a 5% chance I'm actually healhty (rather the illness be lupus or not?)

I actually do not think I have lupus. I am more concerned about the competency of my doctor and what I can and can not draw from a postive ANA. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Vex (edited 06-19-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 06-19-2003, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: haverhill,MA USA
Posts: 109
klayr HB User

Hi! According to what my doctor told me about blood work done to determine the presence of lupus is this: there is no way to determine through blood work alone whether or not you have lupus, but they can definitely rule it out through the blood tests. Positives on markers that are common for the disease are not exclusive only to lupus. Don't get discouraged! It just means that the ANA may lead them in another direction. He has thankfully ruled out lupus. Good luck to you. Trying to find the problem can be so frustrating.

Old 06-20-2003, 01:10 PM   #3
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hudson, OH USA
Posts: 11
ohdeb HB User

Hi Vex. Anyone can have a positive ANA. People with arthritis usually do and even healthy people can. However, I think the test(s) that your doctor may have done are anti ds dna and anti sm. These two are usually indicative of Lupus. There is no other disease that would show these positive results. But, just because they come out negative doesn't mean that you don't have Lupus. As you know, Lupus is sometimes very difficult to diagnose and could take time. But be patient and don't get stressed . Easier said than done, right? Take care!

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
What is a relationship supposed to be like?? TRP29 Relationship Health 13 01-08-2009 05:26 AM
Non Clinical MS, what is it? shellbear Multiple Sclerosis 3 11-29-2007 07:53 AM
inducible ischemia means what sabukoshy Heart Disorders 3 11-28-2007 12:45 PM
HIV Test Result = QNS What does that mean? badadjective HIV Prevention 3 04-16-2007 01:00 PM
Ever wonder what goes on in a AA/CA/NA meeting? Thiswasyourlife Addiction & Recovery 4 10-07-2006 04:23 AM
What does 20/20 or 20/30 etc. mean? Cariabu Lasik Eye Surgery 1 12-30-2005 05:09 AM
Could Someone Tell Me What This Means Please ? haleysmum Back Problems 2 11-16-2005 03:47 AM
What really is "normal?" LS289 Diet & Nutrition 39 09-08-2005 07:38 PM
What's been happening today ..... angel_bear Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia 16 08-28-2005 05:33 PM
Dreams... What do they mean? M1K3L Relationship Health 11 05-21-2005 11:08 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!