It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Plaquenil (anti malarials) are they immuno suppresants?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
    Angel MJ
    (female)

Angel MJ HB User
    Question Plaquenil (anti malarials) are they immuno suppresants?

hi all ... just wanted to start a thread to debunk something i've seen on many lupus boards ... please understand that we are 'just' patients and get our information from doctors and not off random websites

are anti malarials immuno suppresants?

(VeeJ i'm copying a very insightful response you made to another post)

In his hardcover, Dr. Daniel Wallace devotes a whole section to Plaquenil. He actually says it's NOT an immune suppressant, unlike the other 2 categoreis of DMARD's (= steroids & flat-out immunosuppressants). He describes how it alters the acid/base ratio in our cells, which somehow discourages production of unwanted autoantibodies. Something like that, anyway... Most libraries have his book. (And Dr. Robert Lahita is another excellent lupus author.)

please feel free to add your comments
    Ang

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
    goldyfm
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
    Re: Plaquenil (anti malarials) are they immuno suppresants?

I was told by my Rheumatologist that Plaquenil boosts your immune system. I do know that is the only drug I take at this time as I have problems with steroids and luckily I am having good results at this time. I have been taking a little over a year now and no problems so far.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
    heidiclouser
    (female)

heidiclouser HB User

It is my understanding that during WW II the soldiers in the Pacific were given quinine to protect them from malaria. They found a reduction in aches and joint pain. Thus the development of plaquenil. It is not an immunosuppresant.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
    Angel MJ
    (female)

Angel MJ HB User

also where the love for 'Gin & Tonic' comes from - tonic water has quinine in.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
    heidiclouser
    (female)

heidiclouser HB User

Tonic water is a fav of mine. I sometimes add dark rum.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
    Alexa3
    (female)

Alexa3 HB User

So why would a Dr not put a patient on an suppressant drug, and only on plaquenil? Isn't that risky? You would think your Dr wants your immune system slowed down so it isn't attacking itself as much.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Alexa, my understanding is that Plaquenil does impede the production of unwanted autoantibodies, by somehow altering acid/base ratio in cells. However, it's only appropriate for those *without* major organ involvement, meaning, if you have major organ involvement, you require stronger meds like steroids & immunosuppressants.

Those fortunate enough to require only Plaquenil are indeed lucky, to be able to avoid the bigger & much more unpredictable side effects of steroids & immune suppressants.

But, I'm merely a patient... For a *professional* explanation, look for Dr. Daniel Wallace's discussion, in his lupus hardcover, of various meds, who qualifies for which, side effects & concerns, etc. Most libraries have his book. I hope you're doing well. Sincerely, Vee

Old 07-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
    Alexa3
    (female)

Alexa3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
    Alexa, my understanding is that Plaquenil does impede the production of unwanted autoantibodies, by somehow altering acid/base ratio in cells. However, it's only appropriate for those *without* major organ involvement, meaning, if you have major organ involvement, you require stronger meds like steroids & immunosuppressants.

Those fortunate enough to require only Plaquenil are indeed lucky, to be able to avoid the bigger & much more unpredictable side effects of steroids & immune suppressants.

But, I'm merely a patient... For a *professional* explanation, look for Dr. Daniel Wallace's discussion, in his lupus hardcover, of various meds, who qualifies for which, side effects & concerns, etc. Most libraries have his book. I hope you're doing well. Sincerely, Vee

Ok, thanks Vee, that was a good explanation. My Rhuemie hasn't been very forth coming on information, he always seems in a hurry, but given my insurance he is the only one I can see now. I had my SSD hearing, so hopefully the news will be good and then I will get Medicare and I hope to find a new Dr. and a closer one too.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
    heidiclouser
    (female)

heidiclouser HB User

Alexa....get your immune system too depressed and other diseases take over. I was doing really well on cellcept for years until I developed a form of lymphoma associated with this class of meds.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
    Superflyer
    (male)

Superflyer HB User

I take Plaquenil 400mg daily. My Lupus came from taking the Blood pressure med (Linsinopril). My doctors have since placed me on another blod pressure med. they don't have me on any suppressant drug either.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
    ta2d
    (male)

ta2d HB User

I've been taking Plaquenil for over 2 1/2 years. While its classified as an anti-malarial my package insert also states that it is indeed also an immuno-suppresant drug.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
    BobiM
    (female)

BobiM HB User

Please make sure you get your vision checked with a visual field while on Plaquenil. I don't want to scare anyone (because it is rare) but I am losing my vision because of the drug. The deterioration is continuing even though I have been off the drug for over 5 months. If you show any signs of having any visual problem tell your eye doctor immediately.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

My Rx insert classifies Plaquenil as a "DMARD" = disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug, which does not make it an immune suppressant (these are two different concepts). Dr. Daniel Wallace, rheumie/author, takes great pains to distinguish Plaquenil from flat-out immune suppressants, in his lupus hardcover. Vee

Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
    ta2d
    (male)

ta2d HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
    My Rx insert classifies Plaquenil as a "DMARD" = disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug, which does not make it an immune suppressant (these are two different concepts). Dr. Daniel Wallace, rheumie/author, takes great pains to distinguish Plaquenil from flat-out immune suppressants, in his lupus hardcover. Vee
    VEEJ,

Your correct Plaquenil is a DMARD. However take a look at the text from my Rx insert:

Drug Information For: PLAQUENIL 200MG TABLETS

Ingredient Name: HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE (hye-drox-ee-KLOR-oh-kwin)

Common Uses: This medicine is an immunosuppressant and antirheumatic agent used to treat systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) or rheumatoid arthritis. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.

This is the information I was going by when stating that it was also a immunosuppresant drug.

Ta2d

Old 07-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I should have said "Rx printout" (not drug insert---sorry!), but I was also paraphrasing Dr. Wallace. Great book. I find it indispensible & replace mine as each new edition appears. I actually felt great relief reading the Wallace info, many years ago, before starting the drug. Take good care, V.

Last edited by VeeJ; 07-08-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Closed Thread