It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Systemic Positive ANA but complicated medical history, any advice is appreciated.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
    mandaplease
    (female)

mandaplease HB User
    Question Positive ANA but almost no symptoms. Any advice is appreciated.

Recently I had been getting joint pain and just been feeling really weak. This has gotten worse over a few months so my mom took me to the doctor. She had me tested for lupus and my ANA was 1:640. I know that doesn't guarantee I have lupus (I wish she had told me that I totally freaked out).

I'm on Gabapentin/Neurontin for my migraines because I'm allergic to tylonel (I took it and had an allergic reation after years of use while suffering a kidney stone and I've had bad side effects with any medication I've taken ever since.)

Anyway, my mom suggested I stop taking it thinking it might be drug induced lupus (although i have no other symptoms of it and only a distant relative with it). I took it 2x daily but with finals and things I've only been taking it once a day because I keep forgetting to and I've noticed I feel perfectly normal when I am not on it. (Also other things off the side-effects list I have but I thought I was just nuts.)

In addition I was on zoloft and got tiny bruises all over my legs and gabapentin can cause increased bruising so now I am wondering if that was the cause of that as well. Because I did not have it with another SSRI previous to taking gabapentin.

I thought gabapentin was my miracle drug but I'm really thinking it's the cause of all of my problems.

However my mom won't dismiss my ANA and is insisting I see a doctor anyway which I don't really know is necessary (and I am 20 so I could refuse) I'm really wondering what anyone else thinks I should do? Just forget about the ANA?

My WBC count as normal and so are all of my other blood tests. Also my MRI (to get migraine meds) is normal as well.

Last edited by mandaplease; 05-03-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Forgot info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Positive ANA but complicated medical history, any advice is appreciated.

Hi & welcome. Personally I wouldn't ignore a positive ANA in the presence of fatigue, joint pain, migraines, and bruising. I'd see a rheumatologist for the next step, likely specialized bloodwork for more specific autoantibodies that aren't included in basic bloodwork. These tests are described in a sticky post (permanent info post) at the top of the thread list; and you'll also see info on APS, a blood clotting disorder often seen in lupus patients.

While taking only a multi-vitamin, I had fatigue, joint pain, migraines, and urinary stones. Based on that & everything I've read, I believe the problems you cite could be either disease-induced or drug-induced... and I'd sure want to know which, if I were you! I hope you post more after reading the stickies. Best wishes to you & to your mom, too, sincerely, Vee

P.S. My problems started in early childhood and persisted for decades. I wish I'd had better medical help at 20. Gaaaaaaaaa!

The Following User Says Thank You to VeeJ For This Useful Post:
    mandaplease (05-04-2011)
    Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
    mandaplease
    (female)

mandaplease HB User

I have an appointment with a rheumatologist next friday. The headache thing is interesting because I'd never realised it was a symptom before but I read something on "lupus headache" and mine's always been treated fine with medicine.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

I took Fiornal or Bellergal as needed for headaches. Helped headaches, but nothing else (obviously). It's that other stuff you mentioned in conjunction that makes one wonder, so I think you're wise to see a rheumatologist. Let us know how it goes. Wishing you good luck! Bye, from Vee

Old 05-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
    mandaplease
    (female)

mandaplease HB User

Yeah for sure, thanks for your suggestions too because I didn't know that it could be a lesser form...I have none of the other symptoms but I was tested for basically EVERYTHING including lyme's. It's funny though that none of my doctors thought my reaction to the zoloft was strange, I even showed them pictures, except my neurologist and she's the one who ordered all the tests.

Another thing is obviously I haven't been examined yet but I have all the fibro tender points, I'm pretty positive. But I guess I could have both?

I'll be sure to let you know what happens when I go though. Thanks a lot!

Old 05-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, those fibro-like tender points can co-exist with other conditions. Too bad, because mine made my local drs. think my only possible Dx was FMS, despite other symptoms... like that persistent photosensitive rash I often had. (There's a joke in that somewhere? ) Yes, you're right that lupus can be relatively mild. Serious cases, with the classic symptoms like protein in urine and malar rash, are probably easier for drs. to diagnose than milder cases. Your neurologigist sounds like the thinking, inquisitive type. Here's hoping your new rheumatologist is similar. Best wishes, V.

Closed Thread