It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• ANA - different format not sure how to interpet result

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
    vph10
    (male)

vph10 HB User
    ANA - different format not sure how to interpet result

Hello,

I had a blood test done and my Ana result came out Positive. My doctor did not want to tell me anything before I more blood work. I tried to research whether my ANA results are significantly elevated or slightly. This is what scale they use:
    ANA: out of range 1.36H (0.00-0.90)
    Interpretation:
    Negative Specimens <=0.90
    Equivocal Specimens 0.91 to 1.09
    Positive Specimens >=1.10

My thyroid result:
    TSH, 3RD Gen: out of range 0.010L (0.350-5.500)

I went to doctors because I have fatigue (feel tired as soon as I wake up and can barley make it through the day), fogginess, headaches, problems with concentration, muscle pains and twitches,popping joints and joint pain in hip and shoulder.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: ANA - different format not sure how to interpet result

Your ANA is reported on a newer system for screening. So when the screening is positive, they normally follow it up with the usual method which gives you a titer and pattern. The titer is more familiar to people and is reported as a ratio, like 1:80, 1:160. 1:320, 1:640, etc with the bottom number doubling each level. Hopefully your Dr did some other antibodies like anti-DS DNA and anti smith antibodies. Your TSH level being so low indicates you might be hyperthyroid, which can also cause fatigue. So your next set of test results should give you more info. Your Dr will likely refer you to a rheumatologist and endo for the thyroid. Feel free to write back if you have more questions.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
    vph10
    (male)

vph10 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I think out of range means that it's only 0.010 lower than 0.350 and ANA is 1.36 higher than 0.90 which gives 2.26 Is that a significant number or just litte over what it should be? Just trying to figure out how severe it is. Thank you and all the best

Old 06-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Actually, those numbers are your actual results, not that amount lower/higher than the range. So both are significant enough to mean something. My guess is that your titer will come out at 1:160 +or- 1 titer. You can visit the lupus board and read over the sticky notes about symptoms, etc., to see if very many match how you feel. Some are more specific to lupus than others.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
    vph10
    (male)

vph10 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    Actually, those numbers are your actual results, not that amount lower/higher than the range. So both are significant enough to mean something. My guess is that your titer will come out at 1:160 +or- 1 titer. You can visit the lupus board and read over the sticky notes about symptoms, etc., to see if very many match how you feel. Some are more specific to lupus than others.
    Thank you. I did read sticky notes. Although I am 22 year old caucasian male (which is quite rare to get this disease), a lot of the symptoms match. While having all symptoms listed above I've been also loosing hair at the hairline and crown. Doctor ordered some additional blood work: ANA titer, ANA with reflex cascade, vitamin B12, TSH, thymoglobulin/thyroid peroxidase ab

SO hopefully I will get the diagnosis soon so that, whatever it is, I can try to deal with it.

Last edited by vph10; 06-22-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lupus is actually a disease that affects young people with a female to male ratio of 9:1. It is good that your Dr. thought to check for it, given you are in the minority as far as gender. The follow-up tests will help to sort it out, as a positive ANA can happen in other conditions, like autoimmune thyroid disease. Both are treatable, so things should get better in time.

Closed Thread