It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Lupus genetics - chance of offspring getting lupus if both parents have it

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Lupus genetics - chance of offspring getting lupus if both parents have it

I was wondering if anyone knows the genetics involved and chance of children getting lupus if both parents have it. I cannot seem to find this information anywhere, and now it looks as if my husband may have lupus too. I have a son and daughter for whom I am naturally very concerned! The genetics involved are so complex, but any info would be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Lupus genetics - chance of offspring getting lupus if both parents have it

Good morning. Following stats are from one of my hardcovers & aren't complete (they don't speak to the situation where BOTH parents have lupus). If you have lupus, first degree relatives (brothers, sisters, parents, and children) are at an increased risk, estimated by some experts at 10% for a daughter and at 2% for a son.

Re: possibility of your husband having lupus, I sure hope not. Is he taking med(s) that have been implicated in the drug-induced form? (I only ask because so many of us take more meds as we age.) Wishing you all good luck, Vee

Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Thanks, Vee. My husband has been healthy until about 1 year ago when he started having migratory joint pains and pains in hands. He is on no meds. It took me that long to get him to check some labs and we just got his inital results yesterday-ANA 1:320 with nucleolar pattern. RA neg, CCP pending. He had an episode recently of a superficial thrombophlebitis in his upper arm (strange), so APL antibodies are being added on. He has no other symptoms so really doesn't meet clinical picture fully, but his mom had lupus. He gets marked relief from Prednisone. Also was diagnosed with Gilberts years ago for high bilirubin, but don't think hemolysis was ever checked, so will add on a Coombs test and retic count as well. The nucleolar pattern kinda scared me, but no signs or FH of scleroderma. The more specific antibodies haven't been ordered yet but will be done. Lab lost his urine specimen, so getting him back there will take some nagging, I'm sure. LOL Thanks for your concern, and I keep wondering how ironic and weird this could get if he develops more symptoms. I'm praying God spares him this affliction! He's a good man and doesn't deserve it. (No one does!)

Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. Are he and you also revisiting his earlier liver findings? I'd probably want that done as a parallel track of inquiry, to rule "straight liver" problems in or out. I believe several liver conditions can elevate ANA: primary biliary cirrhosis and autoimmune hepatitis, but there may be more?

I agree: it would be too ironic if he were to be dx'ed with lupus &/or RA. Marital togetherness is great, but that would really be pushing it! I hope things start making more sense soon. Sending my best.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks, Vee for your thoughts. I do have some updates: CCP negative, anticardiolipin AB neg. DsDNA and Smith AB are pending-should have by end of week. Probably will be negative since this is relatively recent onset. I ran across in Dr. Daniel Wallace's book that in the course of lupus development, ANA usually turns + first, then dsDNA, then Smith if the latter two are ever going to turn, as only 30% with lupus have + dsDNA and 20% have + Smith antibodies. That sure points out why repeat labs are important over time, and not to just give up with one neg. result, and never test it again. As for hubbie's liver, only bilirubin, not enzymes, has ever been elevated. Will pursue the Coombs at least just to rule out hemolysis causing that, but with no anemia, it probably is the Gilbert's, as the high bilirubin has been present intermittently since teen years. Will update the rest. This irony is too much for me. We didn't know when we got married that Art's mom or I would develop lupus. Now I have to find the info on genetics so I know what my kids might be up against.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

What about hemachromatosis (too much iron stored in liver)? I think that can elevate bilirubins... but I'm not sure whether it can affect ANA. I think it's a genetic thing, too? Anyway, sure hope he gets some answers. Good luck!

P.S. It can cause joint pain, that's why I was wondering.

Last edited by VeeJ; 09-17-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: forgot something

Closed Thread

Tags
    genetics, lupus