It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Lupus? Needing advice..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
    A1119
    (female)

A1119 HB User
    Lupus? Needing advice..

New to the board and Looking for some advice..

I have been back and forward to various doctors over the years with joint pain and rosecea (or what I was told it was). I was diagnosed with having a b12 deficiency after blood test were done, which I have been receiving injections for and was told the joint pain was simply down to chondromalacia, which I should grow out of. I am now 29 and the flare up still happen quite frequently.

In the last few years.. I tested positive for h pylori after complaining of an extremely dry mouth, have suffered with bad fatigue and have also experienced really bad skin rashes after long periods in the sun.

A friend suggested being tested for lupus as these all relate to symptoms of the condition. I had never heard of it before and when I spoke to my doctor about it he it said it was highly unlikely and wasn't keen to test. I have since moved doctors and they carried out and ANA test which came back as borderline. I was then tested for anti DNA which was negative and so doctor has said there was no reason to carry out any further tests. After reading up on the condition though, I feel all my symptoms point to this.

Can anyone advise? Is there something else I should ask about or ask to be tested for? I have read that mis carriage is a serious problem with people with lupus and this is really worrying me.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Lupus? Needing advice..

Hello and welcome to the boards. You do have symptoms suggestive of possible lupus, with facial rash, rash after sun exposure joint pain, fatigue, and many with lupus are also B12 deficient. Your ANA test being borderline (do you know the titer or ratio it was?) would indicate it is reasonable to retest it plus do some other tests related to lupus. Lupus causes inflammation, so inflammatory markers, like sed rate and CRP should be done. Also a CBC, chemistry panel and urinalysis, as those tests can show other clues. Anti-phospholipid antibodies are related to fetal loss, and should be checked. Also a Smith antibody is very specific for lupus if positive. One does not have to have a + anti-dsDNA result for a diagnosis. On the lupus board here, there are lists of symptoms common in lupus, and a list of rashes common. You might review those and see if any others fit. I would get your actual test results on paper and keep a copy for yourself. You might want to see a rheumatologist who specializes in autoimmune disorders to look into this further. Early treatment can make a difference in how you feel. I would also take a picture of any rashes you get to show your Drs., as they tend to come and go.

Last edited by ladybud; 01-03-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: correction

Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
    A1119
    (female)

A1119 HB User
    Re: Lupus? Needing advice..

Thanks so much ladybud. I have seen a rheumatologist before but at the time it was to check for rheumatoid arthritis which they said I had no signs. I was not told the ratio of ana test, but I will definitely ask next time I am there.

Closed Thread