It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• New to the board

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
    Kathryn52
    (female)

Kathryn52 HB User
    New to the board

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and new to this awful disease. I have had SLE lupus most of my life and was diagnosed with MS 4 years ago. I thought those were bad at times until the gastropharesis kicked in and I almost think it's worse than any of the others. I thought it was somewhat under control but in the last few days it ramped up again...I ate very little and by evening I was sick as a dog. Slept sitting up just hoping I wouldn't throw up and woke up feeling the same way...I'm on amitza for my colon too but I took a laxative hoping to make enough room in there that I would feel at least a little better and it helped a little but I'm afraid to eat or drink anything again...my question is I read that they can give you antibiotics to speed up the stomach a little and I was wondering it anyone was on them and does anyone have MS and think that it's caused by that and when your traveling how do you handle it...Sorry for so many questions...it's just frustrating as I know you all know all to well. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: New to the board

Hi Kathryn and welcome. I have SLE too, and suffered for years with gastroparesis, getting so bloated I could hardly breathe or wear a bra. Then I found out I was gluten intolerant and dairy intolerant, and when I eliminated those from my diet, my GI tract started functioning again. I used to take Reglan, a peristalsis stimulator, which helped some, but the diet has helped more. I would make sure you are not Vit B 12 or folate deficient as well, as lots of SLE patients are, and that can cause a peripheral neuropathy in the gut affecting peristalsis too. I would avoid cold foods, gas producing foods, straws (which add gas via swallowed air) carbonated beverages (add gas) and eat lots of fiber rich foods to keep GI tract moving. Antibiotics are usually used for bacterial overgrowth in GI tract, plus a FODMAP diet to prevent fermentation from bacteria and sugar.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
    Kathryn52
    (female)

Kathryn52 HB User
    Re: New to the board

Thank's for your help, ladybud. I appreciate any input at this time. I can't eat dairy but I never thought about being gluten intolerant...I'm going to have to check that out and see it that helps. I was low on folate last time the dr's checked and I took it for a while but never realized it could cause my stomach to slow down. I'm defiitely going to check on my vit. levels again. I am trying to change my diet and that part is getting easier since I can't eat much at a time anyway. The last few days if I pretty much eat nothing; I feel really good but...thanks again, ladybud.

Closed Thread

Tags
    gastroparesis, lupus, multiple schlerosis