It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Lupus?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #1
    Wishiknew1
    (female)

Wishiknew1 HB User
    Lupus?

I went to Dr to see if I had a thyroid problem because of unexplained weight gain, joint pain, lower back pain, occasional chest pain, edema, fatigue, general unwell feeling, blood work showed I did not, he is referring me to a rheumatologist(although he didn't say exactly why)

My blood work came back all negative for Antinuclear antibody with the exception of DNA(DS) Antibody which showed as 6. normal range is 0-4.
    5-9 is considered indeterminate

My 24 hour urine test shored urine creatinine as 75.6 range 33.3-75.
    and creatinine clearance showed 185.4 range 75.-115 which obviously is very high. I asked the Dr about this test and he said it was normal.

My LDL is also 136 range 0-130
    Segmented neutrophils 71.7 range 42-71
    and Lymphocytes 20. normal range 24.-44

My question is after researching online….is it possible to have Lupus and not have positive antinuclear antibodies? I am unable to get into a Rheumatologist for several months and would like a general idea of what's going on with me asap…thanks !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Lupus?

Yes it is possible to have lupus with a negative ANA, especially early in course. It may show up + on later tests or may stay negative, which is called seronegative lupus. It occurs in 4-5% of cases, making diagnosis difficult. You might ask for it to be repeated along with an anti-Smith and anti-Ro (SSA) antibody, as a positive in either of those would lend support to a lupus diagnosis. The anti-dsDNA should be repeated as well, during a flare of symptoms, as it may be higher then. Many people develop symptoms before their ANA becomes +, so it may take months or even years to turn positive.

Reply Reply

Tags
    lupus (sle), lupus information, lupus? confused!, nephrologist, rheumatologist