It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

Herniated Disc and Lyme ... Anyone?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
gatormommy
(female)

gatormommy HB User
Herniated Disc and Lyme ... Anyone?

I have had chronic numb and tingling left hand for 4 months now. It is constant and not intermittent. After MRI to rule out MS...I saw a neurosurgeon who said the herniation at C6 is large and impinging on the neural foramina. Looking at the "Dermatone" Map, it appears C6 injury is consistent with my symptoms. I have a Cervical Spinal Fusion scheduled for March.

The Doctor of Oriental Medicine I have started seeing recommended I test for Lyme to rule it out. Although I went to her for my numb hand....I do happen to also have Fibromyalgia and Hashimoto's. I took her advice and just got my results back. POSITIVE on Western Blot...4 Bands (18, 41, 58, 66). Needless to say...I am shocked and confused. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on....but now wondering if this numbness is caused by Lyme and not herniation? Anyone have any experience with this? Should I treat Lyme first...and postpone surgery? I'm getting so many different answers.

Any insight will be wonderful. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2016, 06:00 AM   #2
aseratliag
(female)

aseratliag HB User
Re: Herniated Disc and Lyme....Anyone?

I had the same thing. Treat the Lyme immediately with antiobiotics first! If it is from the Lyme, it should go away in a couple of days after being on antibiotics if it in fact from the Lyme.

You can always reschedule your surgery if need be.

I have Chronic Lyme and last year, I waited too long to go to the doctor and I had the hand numbness as well as excruciating pain in my hand and joints. I have disc space narrowing at C5-6 as well as herniated discs in my lumbar spine. I currently am having a flare up of it and am on antibiotics - feeling much better. I am also on a strict vitamin regimen.

The following user gives a hug of support to aseratliag:
forest009 (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 12:40 AM   #3
forest009
(male)

forest009 HB User
Re: Herniated Disc and Lyme....Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseratliag View Post
I had the same thing. Treat the Lyme immediately with antiobiotics first! If it is from the Lyme, it should go away in a couple of days after being on antibiotics if it in fact from the Lyme.

You can always reschedule your surgery if need be.

I have Chronic Lyme and last year, I waited too long to go to the doctor and I had the hand numbness as well as excruciating pain in my hand and joints. I have disc space narrowing at C5-6 as well as herniated discs in my lumbar spine. I currently am having a flare up of it and am on antibiotics - feeling much better. I am also on a strict vitamin regimen.
thanks for info buddy.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #4
Luv2rofl
(female)

Luv2rofl HB User
Re: Herniated Disc and Lyme ... Anyone?

I'm in the middle of getting a Lyme DX but I have the exact same thing as you from the cspine. I have a little more than just c5-6 but same issues because of it.

I wonder if the Lyme gets into the marrow of the spine and weakens it, who knows. I had three serious falls when I was severely anemic, injuring my spine (I assume- because I'm not old enough to have DDD and spinal stenosis but I do) !I'm new to Lyme myself and it just makes sense that I have it after two years of disintegrating perfect health. You. Au not reall have Hashi or Fibrom but Lyme was mis-DX.

I go see my neurogsurgeon at UCSF this month and intend to have surgery done. I can't take the pain, the burning, the loss is use of my left arm and hand. .

Old 02-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
tess201
Senior Veteran
(female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormommy View Post
Should I treat Lyme first...and postpone surgery?
If you've had lyme for months it will not be healed in days, or even months with abx treatment. I would advise to treat it first before submitting to invasive surgery but you will have to give it much more time. You need to see an LLMD (lyme literate medical doctor) who will be better able to advise you. Don't go to an ID doc. Many of them call themselves lyme docs, but they are not.

Best to you. I hope you can find the proper help you need soon.

Tess

Last edited by tess201; 02-14-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:00 AM   #6
Mg2121
Veteran
(female)

Mg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB User

Yes, treat the lymes 1st. The numbness in the hand is probably due to your herniated vertabra but the fact that the western blot is positive i would begin treatment for that before you start experiencing any horrible symptoms related to lymes. I'm curious, though, to hear what the doctors are saying to you since you said you are getting mixed messages. I would think they would have begun antibiotic therapy already.

Reply Reply