It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• is this a high dose of antibiotics

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
    2014rav4
    (female)

2014rav4 HB User
    is this a high dose of antibiotics

Just started seeing a lyme literate dr. He has me on amoxycillin ....8 tablets a day. Each tablet is 500 mg. So i am taking 4,000 mg. a day. i take them for a month and return for a check up. Of course, I am also taking acidophilus tablets.

Does this seem like a high dosage to anyone out there on antibitotics ?

What other antibiotics are given for lyme disease that any of you are taking.

Last edited by 2014rav4; 08-24-2018 at 05:23 AM. Reason: need more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: is this a high dose of antibiotics

If you were just dx with Lymes- its not really high. If you are taking 250 mgs 8x a day, thats 2000 mgs, which is standard in the first line of treatment for Lymes. If you have had it for awhile and were never treated, it would also be standard...but once the initial treatment is over, you usually do not continue that dosage.

I hope you are feeling better!

Old 08-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
    dganz
    (female)

dganz HB Userdganz HB User

I wasn't diagnosed until after a year. LLMD put me on 2,000 mg abx a day. At one time it was even higher, but I couldn't tolerate the Mepron, so I stopped taking it. I think if the infection was diagnosed very early, it wouldn't have to be that high, but the longer one has it without diagnosis, the doctor must get aggressive. I trusted my LLMD 100%. Took the meds about 10 months.

The Following User Says Thank You to dganz For This Useful Post:
    2014rav4 (08-27-2018)
    Old 08-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
    2014rav4
    (female)

2014rav4 HB User

what symptms did you have that made you not be abe to tolerate the high doses of antibiotics? sorry....what antibiotic did you say you were taking? Thaks!

Old 08-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
    dganz
    (female)

dganz HB Userdganz HB User

I was on zithro, rifampin and mepron. Already have nausea from abx, but the Mepron made it much worse. I was also taking a bunch of supplements too to combat the gut. What are you taking? I cannot open if you did. Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by Moderator1; 08-28-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:48 AM   #6
    2014rav4
    (female)

2014rav4 HB User

did you have any co-infections with the lyme? Nothing showed n my bloodwork. Although showed previous exposure at one time to mono, and epstein barr.

I am taking two amoxicillin capsules (500 mg) four x a day.
    (Morning, afternoon, evening, and bedtime. DX in 2011 with Lyme, saw the red rash, flu-lke symptoms and took doxy. Then in 2017 became run down, tired, lot of illness in family I was dealing with, s o family MD ordered blood work and since I had Lyme disease before, this was a test he ordered. The antibody for lyme showed up (I did see a tick on the bathroom floor that autumn, but did not exhibit rash, other symptoms.) Howeer, months later, got pain in ear, all fillings in my teeth throbbed, pain down my face into y jaw and jaw locked up, happened also to my leg.....wouldn't straightened up.
    Drenching night sweats, confusion, forgetfulness.

So these symptoms took me to a lyme literate doctor. Hence, now I am taking these mega doses of antibiotics.

Also, very stressed, as dealing with issues of aging mother, now in a nursing home, brother with brain cancer,,,,,just passed away this week.

The following user gives a hug of support to 2014rav4:
    tess201 (09-04-2018)
    Reply Reply