It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Questions for the doc

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #1
    skwerlmasta
    (male)

skwerlmasta HB User
    Questions for the doc

I was diagnosed with PTSD in the military two decades ago, and in the 8 years in the military I did some damage to my joints, so I've suffered from many of the typical lyme disease symptoms for years: fatigue, joint pain, lack of sleep, memory problems. All of my current medical goes through the VA, lucky me.

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident at the end of 2020 that resulted in a bit of whiplash, neck and back pain with headaches. During treatment I was given an MRI of the brain which found non-specific white matter and the doc said that they liked to test for lyme to rule it out in these situations. I live in the southeast, the opposite corner of the country from the usual lyme states, and non-specific white matter can be related to any number of neurologic conditions from MS, Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, to simple migraines. I thought little of the test and didn't do any research on the subject.

My doctor called me this afternoon with a positive test result. I was a hair surprised by this and totally unprepared(I let the boy scouts down) so I only gathered the basics and had no questions to ask. She said that the result of one of the tests was 1.1, above the 0.9 threshold. I gather from what I'm reading that this was the ELISA. And she talked about needing 5 bands on the other and said that I hit that too. Always lucky here.

The way she spoke sounded as if the diagnosis was still in doubt but from what I'm reading it doesn't sound that way so much. Because it's the VA, my lab results will be online in a week if I'm lucky, and so far I have been so fingers crossed. My case is being shuffled to the infectious disease department; who knows how long it'll be before they contact me.
    In the meantime, what questions should I ask my doctor? The specifics on the western blot and which bands were positive, of course. Is there anything else I might want to know?

Thanks for taking the time to read. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Stay warm out there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply