It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• IV therapy vs. Oral Antiobiotics

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2004, 03:57 AM   #1
    Ciarra

Ciarra HB User
    IV therapy vs. Oral Antiobiotics

Why do some doctors put on iv antiobiotics and other on the oral?

Do they wait and see how you do on the oral first? Just put on doxycycline and wondering whether it would be better or quicker to rid the lyme with iv?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 04:42 AM   #2
    monicarenea

monicarenea HB User
    Re: IV therapy vs. Oral Antiobiotics

CIARRA- I WAS ON DOXY FIRST FOR 5 MONTHS, 100MG DAILY LAST YEAR TO RID THE MYCOPLASMA. I WAS STILL VERY SYMPTOMATIC. I ONLY HAVE ONE IGg BAND POSITIVE FOR LYMES SO MY DOC IS HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME GETTING MY INS. TO PAY FOR IV THERAPY. I AM AGAIN ON DOXY 200MG DAILY FOR 6 MONTHS. I AM ON MY 3RD MONTH. I FEEL 60% BETTER BUT KNOW THAT WHEN I STOP I WILL FEEL BAD AGAIN. DOXY IS A GREAT ANTI-INFLAMMATORY SO IT DECREASES MY MUSCLE AND JOINT PAIN AS WELL AS MY EYE INFLAMMATION WHICH CAUSES MY DRY EYES. IT DOES NOT HELP MY DRY MOUTH BUT MY FATIGUE IS BETTER. WHAT ARE YOUR SYMPTOMS? HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD IT? WERE YOU MISDIAGNOSED FOR A LONG TIME? I HAVE HAD IT ABOUT 7 YEARS.

Old 08-06-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

There are many factors when deciding on treatment choice. From what I understand most doctors will try orals first. Some reasons for this is that orals are easier to take, less risky, and less expensive. IVs are often used if someone has severe symptoms, has many neurological symptoms, has more than one infection, or has not responded to different oral protocols.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:46 PM   #4
    Ciarra

Ciarra HB User

Hi Monicarena

I dont understand the IGG bands that everyone talks about. All I was told is that i tested positive for lyme in my knee joint fluid. I am feeling somewhat better with the l00 mg doxy twice a day - but dont understand why you are saying that when you stop you will feel bad again. Isnt the doxy an antiobiotic to get rid of this lyme? I have no fatigue or other symptoms - The only one I have is the swelling of my knees and pain in both. Am constantly getting them aspirated etc. Been on doxy now for about three weeks. I was only diagnosed about a month ago even though I have had the knee swelling for one and a half years and my lyme tests always came back negative - they were always blood tests and then FINALLY the doctor tested the fluid in my knee and it came back positive for lyme.

Closed Thread