It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Please help with Igenex results and other questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
    PatioGazer
    (female)

PatioGazer HB User
    Please help with Igenex results and other questions

Hello everyone. I need some help with Igenex WB results I just received, and with some additional questions I have. I also posted this on the other Lyme site so I apologize if some of you read this twice. The results are as follows:

IgG:
    34 +/-
    39 +/-
    41 +
    58 +
    66 +/-

IgM:
    18 +/-
    28 +
    30 +/-
    31 +/-
    39 +/-
    41 +/-
    45 +/-
    66 +/-

All bands not listed resulted as negative.

Of course the regular doctor read from the Igenex sheet and said these are negative for Lyme. I realize that Lyme is a clinical diagnosis and that blood test results are only part of the picture but I need some help with the following questions.

1. Has anyone had similar results and actually had Lyme? What are my results showing? Is it possible this really is Lyme? Some input from those of you who have seen many results would be greatly appreciated.

2. I'm curious as to there being more +/- results in the IgM since I have had "whatever" I have for several years. Any thoughts on this?

3. Would it be worthwhile to see if the LLMD closest to me would just look at these results and sort of "screen" them as to whether I should be seen by him or not? I ask this because the doctor is several hours drive away each way and I am so not up to that kind of a trip if he is just going to look at my results and flatly say "you don't have Lyme."

4. It seems as if some LLMDs consider equivocal results significant but others do not. How does someone know if treatment for equivocal results is legit? I want to try whatever I can that may help me but I don't want to be given some kind of false hope and stay on antibiotics if not warranted.

Thanks for any and all comments!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2004, 08:33 AM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Please help with Igenex results and other questions

Hi PatioGazer. First of all, you are correct that no Lyme test is completely reliable.

The Western Blot IgM tests for a more recent infection and the IgG tests for a longer-standing one. According to my source, you have equivocal results for some of the bands that are specific for Lyme: bands 31,34, and 39. Band 30 is listed is listed as possibly being an outer-surface protein common in European and one California strain. Band 58 is listed as possibly being a heat-shock Bb (borrelia) protein. Band 41 is a flagellin protein of all spirochetes but often the first band to show after a Bb infection. The other bands are listed as either unknown or cross reactive for all types of Borrelia.

Yes I think it is very likely that you have Lyme. Often when someone has band 45 present it indicates an Ehrlichiosis co-infection. Yours is equivocal so it is possible you may have it also. You definitely should be evaluated by Lyme knowledgeable doctor and be tested for all the co-infections. A knowledgeable doctor will consider your entire history. It is definitely worth the trip for you to see one. I do not believe you will be given false hope, I believe you will be given real hope.

I know it is frustrating and scary to be on the road of uncertainty. In my non-medical opinion, I believe you could have Lyme and possibly a co-infection(s). You owe it to yourself to be evaluated by a knowledgeable doctor. It is the most important thing you can do. If this doctor does not think you are infected, you will not be treated.

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing okay?

Old 11-01-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
    PatioGazer
    (female)

PatioGazer HB User

Thanks so much for the comments Ticker. I know the only way I will find out anything for sure is to see an LLMD. I think I was just waiting to hear that Lyme may be possible - I hate going to doctors and having them act like I am wasting their time!

Old 11-01-2004, 04:39 PM   #4
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

I am happy to help PatioGazer. You don't want doctors wasting your time! The sooner you see a knowledgeable doctor, the sooner you can start treatment.

Closed Thread