It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Med Line vs. Picc line?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
    Jenn100

Jenn100 HB User
    Med Line vs. Picc line?

I'm hoping someone can help me. I just found out that I've been approved for a Med line catheter insertion tomorrow morning! This will be inserted at my doctor's office. I was under the impression I was having a PICC line inserted at a local hospital. Anyone familiar with a Med line? What is the difference between a Med line and a Picc line? I was just called and told I was approved and to come in on Thursday. I'm pretty nervous about how much pain, etc. I know I'll be giving the meds to myself and having the dressing changed every week at the doctor's office. Any experience with this procedure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jenn100; 01-26-2005 at 10:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 04:21 AM   #2
    trigal
    (female)

trigal HB User
    Re: Med Line vs. Picc line?

Hey jenn100 I cannot comment on the med line but I can on the PICC. I had my PICC inserted almost 2 weeks ago. The PICC (I forget what it stands for) basically is a catheter that is inserted in one of the veins near the bend of your arm and the small tubing is threaded all the way up your arm as close to your chest wall/heart as possible. Maybe the medline does not go all the way to your chest - maybe that stops in your arm or something?

Do you really want to know my experiece with the PICC? I do not want to scare you but since you are having a med line.....The nurse who did my PICC was very very rough...did not numb the area, could not find my vein and just went a jabbing away with the long needle. I am not a whimp with pain and have had IV"S in the past. For me this was different - he had to go much deeper into the vein then what you experience during giving blood or IV's. The pain for me was so bad I past out....literally.

I do not want to scare you and many people have had no problems with getting a PICC. Guess it depends on who inserts it! Ask them to numb the area for you and warm them ahead of time if you have small veins or veins that move around a bit..

It is still a bit tender at the site and I get some muscle pain/ spasms in my shoulder from the line (when I over do it!) but a little heat and advil does the trick. Any other questions please ask..

Good luck and let me know how it goes!
    TG

Old 01-27-2005, 06:05 AM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Jenn100. Good luck this morning. I think you are talking about a Midline catheter. Do a search on "IV Catheters" and you should be able to find information about the different types. I am not familiar with the Midline, but I think it is placed higher up on the arm than the PICC line. I am not sure though.

I have had a PICC line put in and it was not painful. I am sure it depends on the experience of the person who is placing it. It seems very scary because you don't know what to expect but I am sure you will be fine.

Let us know how it goes okay? What med(s) will you be infusing?

Old 01-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
    brennd8
    Inactive
    (female)

brennd8 HB User

Hi Jenn,
    I saw your post and I was wondering how you procedure went ?
    I had both a Mid Line and a PICC. My body could not handle either one of them to tell you the truth. The first Mid line got infected after 2 wks and had to pulled out. We had a visting nurse coming to the house and she tried to get it in the other arm and it worked, that lasted about maybe a month and a 1/2 and then I got staff infection in that arm and landed in the hospital with it for a week. They inserted a PICC line then and that involves surgery and they put it in my chest on the right side. I have a lovely grub looking scar now on my chest. HAHA !!! THat did hurt, but it did the trick. Now we only used these MID & PICC for GLUTATHIONE Treatments not for ABX. the PICC lasted for 3 months before it got so infected that it landed me in the hospital for 1 1/2 wks and I almost died, that is when the docs finally came to conclusion that I had LYMES disease. Hopefully, yours goes 1000% better than that.
    Good Luck,
    Heather

Old 01-30-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
    ohio hunter
    Veteran
    (male)

ohio hunter HB User

hi all
    i went with a mediport inplant, uper left chest, looks like a third nipple haha. it was surgicaly put in in june 03, still in, no complications. you access these with a huber needle and change that when the cover starts to get loose around tubing, every 3-5 days. took showers everycouple days,too weak to do daily.
    jon

Closed Thread