It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Band #41 pos for IGG; neg for IgM?? I'm confused

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
    Band #41 pos for IGG; neg for IgM?? I'm confused

I am so grateful that Ticker posted the Western Blot band interpretation. It motivated me to dig out my results (not performed by Igenex).

IGG band 58: "positive"
    IGG band 41: "positive"
    IgM band 41: "negative"
    All other bands: "negative"

How could band 41 report as positive and negative at the same time?

So far my doc hasn't sent any of my blood to Igenex. I feel uncomfortable telling her what to do, but I will do it if need be. Why is this lab recommended so highly? Aren't all laboratories required to follow the same standards and procedures?

Thanks,
    Mickie

P.S. This post was edited to reflect that lab report did not use '+' and '-' symbols. Results were indicated by the words 'positive' and 'negative'

Last edited by 6Blues; 02-18-2005 at 09:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
    ncgirl88
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ncgirl88 HB User
    Re: Band #41 pos for IGG; neg for IgM?? I'm confused

Hi Mickie - Notice by the band 41 there is the IgG and IgM - these stand for the type of antibodies...IgM antibodies with most infections are the antibodies the body makes in response to a recent onslaught of infection...the IgG's are those that are indicative of a long standing infection or old antibodies...in the case of lyme it is hard to use these hard and fast rules...Some doctors have noted IgM antibodies being present in the blood of chronic Lyme patients who should only have IgGs present since initial infection occured years later and this is one piece of evidence that points to the fact that lyme can morph and change - when it changes the body then launches a slightly different kind of antibody to fight the slightly altered lyme bacteria...hope that makes sense - feeling like I am rambling...Basically when they conduct the Western Blot they test you for bands relating to IgMs then IgGs.

Boy, I have learned a lot in five months

Old 02-18-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User

6blues: my lab also posts in "positive" and "negative"

In my fog, I see that one of my tests said "Lyme EIA (IGG/IGM) = Positive"

With another Lab, it was:
    ""negative - less than 0.8
    - equivocal - 0.8-1.0 repeat in 6-8 weeks
    - Positive - "1.0 or more - presumptive evidence of Lyme (Borrelia Burgdorferi)."
    Mine was 6.5

Ahh, nothing makes sense any more, sorry I can't help you......yet.

Ticker - before I go up the stairs (and during Herks, you know how those stairs do get multiplied ! LOL) to dig out my band info, can you review for me what the above means? I'm just spaced out having waited and still waiting for my neurologist to call about the results of my MRI - I finally went down and got a copy directly from the Radiology place myself...sighhh it's almost 2 months, and I DON'T have a normal/negative MRI. There's stuff going on according to the report...You would think she'd call, eh? or is it just my fog fantasy? Maybe I should have started a new thread for "frustrated-fed up etc."? sorry - that just occurred to me..

Old 02-18-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Oh, gosh...it took me so long to type out my "reply" 6 blues, that I see now that NC has posted info...hehehe

Old 02-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Ah. I understand a bit more now. The results make sense if I was infected quiet a while ago, which is what I have suspected from my sx.

Thanks for the info guys- appreciate it!

gerribear: no sweat about writing. Takes me l-o-o-o-ng time to post with all my brain fog errors. Good luck w/those results. Look like Greek to me

Old 02-19-2005, 06:39 AM   #6
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi gerribear. Yes, the doctor should call you. They can be so infuriating!

There are no breakdowns on your results? Is this test the ELISA or titer test? It sounds like it. It is usually positive when over 1.0. Your result is very positive.

Let us know what the doctor says when you hear from her okay?

Last edited by ticker; 02-19-2005 at 06:40 AM.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
    My Dad
    (male)

My Dad HB User

Hey Mickie:
    I saw your post on my thread. Thanks. I'm probably one of the few guys newer than you here, & I don't have Lymes. Or anything else. Thank you Lord! Now if I can just fix my Dad----------
    Actually, I just want to mention this: Your Neurologist says you have Dementia. Go to a Neurologist, they find brain malfunction. Go to an Oncologist, they find Cancer. Go to a psychiatrist, they tell you your crazy. Go to your regular Doctor & tell then you have Lymes, they tell you your crazy. Get the picture? You need a "Lymeologist".
    At least thats what the OLD GUYS here tell me about my Dad, & I think they're right. Ask them. Maybe you already have. Good luck.
    Bob

Last edited by My Dad; 02-22-2005 at 07:23 PM.

Closed Thread