It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Switched to liquid Samento from pill form

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
    Switched to liquid Samento from pill form

I had been on Cats Claw pills for a month and I hadn't noticed a difference so I bought the liquid alcohol free Samento. It is much cheaper than the pills but, boy, does it taste bitter. yuch.

Each pill had 375 mgs and each drop has 40 mgs. The bottle stated that the liquid is 15 times more potent than the dry form. It was a hard calculation with this dumb brain fog but I figured out how many drops to take (15 - 20 drops, three times a day).

I'll try this for a month and watch what happens.

I know this isn't terribly exciting, but it's the biggest news in my lymie-life lately.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
    laurie864bla
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

laurie864bla HB User
    Re: Switched to liquid Samento from pill form

Trust me, be thankful for not much to report!! LOL But seriously, hope it works well for you. We buy those squirt lemon things full of lemon juice, and use those when we have nasty tasting meds. Works like a charm. Just take med and follow quickly with a big squirt. Really cleans the pallet quickly.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear 6blues,

I may not be figuring this right but if the liquid is 15 times more potent then I think you shoud divide that into the 375 and it comes out with 25. If you were taking 40 mg of powder then I would think you would only need to take 2 droppers to equal or go above that. I may be totally off base but I don't want you to overdue it. Somebody else who is a math wizard needs to step in and figure this out. Thanks.
    betterdaysforme

Old 03-30-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User

LOL, BetterDays! I made an attempt at figuring out the dosage, but, Brain Fog seems to have taken over my math skills...!!!

Old 03-30-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
    Amber29
    (female)

Amber29 HB User

I posted my message earlier without seeing this thread. I'm glad to know someone else is using Samento. I was told that I had to get off of certain medications before the Samento would start working (namely Effexor). I started with 1/2 drop 2 times a day which is accomplished by putting 1 drop in 4 oz. of water and drinking half of it. Then I went up 1/2 drop every 2 days. I haven't gone up that fast because I've had problems detoxing from my prescription meds. Right now I'm taking 6 1/2 drops 2 times a day. I've been doing this for about 2 months and I'm starting to tell a different in my brain function (memory/mood/fatigue). I've only been off of the Effexor for 9 days so I hope to be able to go up rapidly on the Samento now. I'm not sure if I can give the brand name of the Samento that I'm using but it does taste nasty. If I put it in water though like it says, it's not so bad. Most of the time I mix it in with some flavored water, along with all of my other homeopathic drops, and I can't even taste it. My sister in law was diagnosed with Lymes last fall. After using Samento for a few months she felt like a new person. She is still taking it. I think she's up to 15 drops 2 times a day. I think she was able to go faster because she didn't have to detox as much as I did and she hasn't had the Lymes for as long as I have but I'm holding out that the Samento will get rid of the Lymes completely. Realistically, my homeopatic people have told me to give it a good year or more. I would give it more than a month. Don't give up.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Amber: Why did you have to go off the Effexor and are you having any withdrawal symptoms depression-wise from going off? I'm on Effexor and the Health food store person (who has had lyme meningitis) said the cat's claw and the teasel would be okay to take with prescribed meds....??

Old 03-31-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear 6blues,

Hope you are doing okay on the samento. After re-reading your thread about drops versus pills I recalculated. My husband said to ignore the 15 times more potent and just divide the 375 by 40 to get the right amount of drops (10). It sounds reasonable because he said you are looking for the same ratio but want something that is more powerful. Does that sound right to you? Maybe lamotta will weigh in on this since this is his expertise. Hope this is working for you.
    betterdaysforme

Old 03-31-2005, 09:49 AM   #8
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

I just cut/pasted most of this thread thinking I might print it and share it with my pharmacist...

I'm really wondering about this 'temp' going off abx and 'temp' trying homeopathic as to what effect that has on a body...

Last edited by cjFTWORTH; 03-31-2005 at 09:57 AM.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
    Amber29
    (female)

Amber29 HB User

Gerribear: I went off of the Effexor because my homeopathic nurse said it was cancelling the effects of the Samento. I'm not going to lie to you, it was hell coming off of it and it took about 6 weeks. I'm not saying that is for everyone. I'm sure it depends on your body and what your treatment for Lymes is. My body is so full of toxins from taking antibiotics and every kind of anti-depressant, mood stabilizer, and anxiety control pill out there for the last 15 years. That's half of my lifetime. The last four years have been nothing but overload on prescription drugs. I was really beginning to think that I was just a crazy person and that I would just have to feel this way for the rest of my life. It sounds strange but I'm actually relieved that it's Lymes, because it explains a lot of symptoms that people, including doctors and family, thought I was making up. I still have moments of discouragement and frustration. I am being treated homeopathically for depression and anxiety and I am also on a Spleen and Liver support to help with ridding the toxins. I also go to a Bowen massage therapist, she's a life saver.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #10
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Thank you for answering, Amber. I asked because I'm on 375mg Effexor a day for many years now and each time my doc & I decide to try reducing it, even by 75mg daily, I get the symptoms back with a bang. I'm a pretty strong person, but I couldn't take more than a week of it and even then, my suicidal thoughts were overtaking anything I could pull on to support me....

I sincerely hope all will work out wonderfully well with Dr. Horowitz. My thoughts and prayers are with you on this visit and I send you gentle hugs!

Don't give up!!!

Old 04-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #11
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

How many grown-ups does it take to make an 8th grade math calculation?

There were 4 adults sitting at my parents kitchen table trying to figure out this dry vs. liquid ratio. We were all humbled by our lack of math skills.

I counted out 20 drops (halfway between the two vaues we came up with) and I made a mark on the dropper. I haven't noticed any marked difference yet (good or bad) but I will keep plodding along business-as-usual.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear 6blues,

I agree. I'm pretty good at math but what my husband said was true. If you didn't want the benefit of the increased strength then you would have just stayed with the pills. So you just don't even bring that into the equation. Lamotta is probably just sitting back and shaking his head at us!

The end result is that we want this to work for yoy so keep it up. I think even dorkdad said his homeopathic expects him to be on the drops for at least 8 months so don't give up hope too quickly.

I should have enough colloidal silver for another week or so and then my homeopathic may put me on Saventero (sp). I'll just have to wait and see what the next week brings.

Keep us updated on your journey. I'm almost afraid to say progress anymore for fear of jinxing somebody.

betterdaysforme

Old 04-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #13
    dorkdad
    (male)

dorkdad HB User

Amber 29,
    You stated above that you weren't sure if you could mention the name of the Samento you are using. Got me curious so I looked up the rules: under "How to Share Information" I see that we "may share name products or services and tell our opinions about them....just do not post any off-board contact info." So what do I see above but an authorized advertisement for "Liquid Samento Extract" that links to Nutramedix.
    Nutramedix is the distributor's name on all the Samento extract that we use: me, my wife, son, and daughter have all recently been dxed for Borrelia with no co-infections. We are taking the liquid Samento extract. It has 20-25% ethanol alcohol. I'm a little confused by 6Blues reference to alcohol free Samento. What am I missing?
    The Nutamedix site which you can access above has some info that will add and confuse the calculation to equate dosages of powder to extract. I probably should not give the exact web address, but I have searched the Nutramedix site extensively and found a comparison between Saventaro and Samento. In that 14 line paragraph the author indicates that many herbalists would agree that the water/alcohol extract is the best way to liberate the bioactive ingredients, so potency is a factor. For example Nutramedix (the site accessed above) claims that one drop of TOA-free Samento is functionally equivalent to one 600 mg TOA-free powder capsule .
    I ordered Samento thru the advertised site above. There was a sheet included with a suggested maintenance dosage of 5-15 drops daily for adults and a therapeutic dosage up to 15-25 drops twice daily for adults. When I jumped to 10 drops 3x daily, I felt more anxious and restless, so I cut back to 6 drops 3x daily and am increasing more slowly. My wife has had to decrease from 5 drops 3x daily to 3 drops 3x daily (I weigh 170, she weighs 102).
    Our naturopath has 2 patients doing really well on their Samento after 8 months. She was hoping they would retest but the $300 cost understandably deterred them.
    Please keep sharing any good news. My wife is still in the first 2 month period with little change and depressed wondering why others are getting better and she is not. I often print out your postings to read to her when I think they will be helpfull.
    I hope this wasn't too boring. Sometimes I think I could write a book regurgitating all I have learned. Then I realize there would be another book with all the questions remaining.

DD

Last edited by dorkdad; 04-04-2005 at 07:11 PM. Reason: need to clarify Nutramedix recommended dosage for samento (maintenance vs therapeutic)

Old 04-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
    Amber29
    (female)

Amber29 HB User

I am on Nutramedix liquid Samento. I've been on it for about 2 1/2 months and I've just worked my way to 7 drops 2x a day. I'm going up 1/2 drop every two days. I was wondering if it was suggested to you that you go off of any other prescription medications, if you are on any. Did your naturopath say prescription drugs could interfere with how the Samento works? I'm not sure about this. My sister in law is on the Samento also. She's on a higher dose, not sure exactly how much, she's been taking it for 5 or 6 months and she's noticing a HUGE difference. They think she's had Lymes for about 3 years. They think I've had it for 12-15 years. I think it will take longer for me to get rid of the Lymes. I will be happy if I feel better in a year. Tell your wife not to get too depressed. I understand EXACTLY how she feels. I'm not seeing any real BIG results. The only thing that's gotten a little better is my energy, which could also be because I finally got my thyroid normal, and my short term memory is getting better. I can remember my phone number now. Just curious, do you know if your children were bit by ticks or did they get Lymes through your wife? I'm having my oldest daughter tested on Tuesday. I have three children and I pray they don't all have it. Tell your wife to hang in there.

Old 04-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #15
    dorkdad
    (male)

dorkdad HB User

Hi Amber 29,
    Thanks for responding. We think both our son and daughter were born with Lyme's which would mean my wife (and probably me) have had it for at least 27 years (married for 32+). We did a lot of camping and hiking and such but ticks are not common in western Oregon. Some LLMDs think that fleas and mosquitos can transfer the bacteria.
    J was diagniosed with FMS 17 years ago and has coped but menopause must have pushed her over the edge for Lyme to reveal it's full nastiness. You may indeed relate to J better than you know because she is taking thyroid medication for hyper condition. She had a lump which has receeded and her numbers look good now. I'm convinced that women are so much more chemically complex that the bacteria causes so much more havoc. Our LLMD thinks that men's cardivascular systems are more affected. How old are your children? Are you satisfied with your doctor? Which test have you chosen? Since I can't tell you about specific websites, I can at least say I have found at least one Q&A site that states Samento does not interfere with medications. As I understand it, Samento has the potential to help with many health conditions because it somehow modulates the immune system to maximize it's abilities in a very individualized way for the person who is taking it. The "side affects" are really the result of toxins from bacteria die-off. At least our "children" are older and we can afford to help them. Wow, your short term memory really took a hit!

DD

Closed Thread