It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Starting on Minocycline..questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User
    Question Starting on Minocycline..questions

My LLMD (after much discussion about "aggressively treating" me - as asked by my neurologist) and I settled on Minocyclin, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off schedule. Wouldn't you know, I just saw him on Monday...

Right Now I just started herxing something awful! (haven't been on abx for months - tinidazole for one month).

Should I start the Minocyclin now or wait till the Herks are over?

I also have EM for the first time in a year...had huge bullseyes on my thighs at that time, and my GP sent me to an allergist....My brain couldn't function well enough to even think of my LLMD. All 100 of the allergy tests were neg...just got a shrug of the shoulders...this time I have one patch started last night, on my foot.

I can't remember who is on Minocyclin - did you get the brown spots and blackened teeth my LLMD warned me about? Said to stop immediately if I got them...

Last edited by outinthe_woods; 04-06-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #2
    dallasmommy
    (female)

dallasmommy HB User
    Re: Starting on Minocycline..questions

I cannot speak directly as for Minocycline and its effectiveness with Lyme, but I did take it for four years(every day I think 200mg) for acne and only developed yellowed(but not that bad) teeth. I can vouch that the use did not affect the integrity of my teeth as I have never had a cavity. So Good Luck on finally getting a treatment plan and I hope you get relief from all of your symptoms!

Old 04-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
    fotomom
    Veteran
    (female)

fotomom HB User

Mino is what the local Infectious Disease dr said he would treat me with and only for 4 weeks.... good luck!

Old 04-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

I took minocycline in high doses for several months a few years back (non-Lyme related) and the only side effects I experienced were 1) after several months felt itchy and burning sensation all over and 2) became really, really spacey- almost semi-wacky. That was scary but I now wonder if it was really the med or if it was a herx from undiagnosed Lyme being killed off.

It is a really good and effective medicine. It did what I needed it to do even if it was a bit hard to take at times. As far as I know, the discoloration of teeth is usually associated with kids taking tetracyclines, am not sure about adults.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User

I'll be on 200 mg/daily for a month and return to the LLMD in 6 weeks.

Right now, I'm slightly feverish, coughing with no mucous, exhausted and headachy. Took a detox bath and slept for a few hours.

Thanks for all your input.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
    ncgirl88
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Hi Gerribear - Good luck with the Mino. I took it for about three months...I would take 200 mg with another antibiotic that was complementary so that all forms of lyme were being covered - the cork screw shape, the L-form, and the cyst form.

I didn't like Mino too much. Maybe it was effective but it made me feel weird neurologically - it felt different then just neurological herx symptoms...I would see purple spots when looking at fluorescent lighting - it was just strange. But I perservered and got through it.

I am on doxy know and I seem to be doing better on it. My temperature is coming up - this did not happen on the Mino but then again maybe this is because I am in my sixth month...but I don't think so because it was so dramatic...three weeks on the doxy and I feel much better and lungs feel clear.

There was a woman on another board who said her LLMD had her on only Minocycline for 8 months then he switched her to Flagyl to attack the cysts...well this was horrible for her - she had a really bad herx with seizures and all kinds of horrible stuff...she said she almost died and she feels it is because the mino made all the lyme turn into the cyst form then when she took a large dose of flagyl they all started dying at once...so be careful here.

My LLMD has me on a combo so that on my 3 weeks on tX every month I am taking an intracellular and extracellular abx together then pulsing flagyl at the end to get rid of any cysts created. I think it is important from the research I have read.

I wish you luck and keep us posted! I don't think you will have the problem that woman did as long as you don't stay on just mino for months on end. I didn't mean to scare you but thought you would want to know.

-NCgirl88

Old 04-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
    brennd8
    Inactive
    (female)

brennd8 HB User

There was a woman on another board who said her LLMD had her on only Minocycline for 8 months then he switched her to Flagyl to attack the cysts...well this was horrible for her - she had a really bad herx with seizures and all kinds of horrible stuff...she said she almost died and she feels it is because the mino made all the lyme turn into the cyst form then when she took a large dose of flagyl they all started dying at once...so be careful here.

Hi ncgirl,
    I was wondering if there was some way that i could contact this woman who had seizures. I have them also and was just put on minocycline. Not to many people out there to talk to about seizures and lymes.
    Thanks,
    Heather

Old 04-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #8
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Hi, NC:

Thanks for all the info...I'm starting to droop over the keyboard now, so I'm going to read your post again tomorrow -

I was on tinidazole for a month in December...and nothing until now...they're trying really hard to get my SPECT scan less abnormal, so Dr. P. says I've been getting the "aggressive therapy" and will probably only be on Minocycline for a month....

Thanks again for your input...I appreciate all the work you put in researching and passing it on....

Closed Thread