It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• great results with cholestyramine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User
    great results with cholestyramine

I know I mentioned this somewhere, but I want you guys to know about my results with the cholestryamine. It's been amazingly helpful in speeding up my recovery. This is a powdered orange-flavored product (prescription) that is usually used to fight high cholesteral.

It's new in lyme treatment because it binds toxins in bile and gets them out of you. In doing this, herx's are much less severe and healing is quicker. Apparently, according to the LLMD's at some convention that my doc went to, lyme spirochetes attach to the dead lyme toxins that are in the body from abx and the lyme uses the dead toxins to fuel itself. I'm just repeating what my doctor said. I think the whole thing is yucky.

Anyway, when you get the toxins out quicker, you feel much better obviously because you aren't suffering with toxins, but also you take some of the help away from the parasites that remain.

Unfortunately, sometimes there is negative talk about cholestyramine because it easily removes other things from your body including thryoid meds, hormone replacement and birth control meds, antibiotics, whatever. It's not a big deal if you just take it at a different time. I take all my pills (including thyroid, estrogens, abx, etc.) throughout the day and then just before bed I drink the cholestyramine and I feel great in the morning. Like new.

I started this two months ago and when I look at my journal I can see that this is when things really started to turn around for me. It's not an expensive product (I don't have insurance) and it's not offensive to take. It has no side effects for me at all. My doctor said it might constipate me, but I had the runs for months so I was happy to use this product. I'm regular for once! Ooops, maybe too much info there. Sorry!

On the ride with you.
    sw

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
    lynnp
    (female)

lynnp HB User
    Re: great results with cholestyramine

What dosage do you take?

Old 05-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Hi, Sleeper:

I just picked up my cholecystyramine and the directions are to take twice a day for 2 weeks 30 minutes before any meds, then after 2 weeks, increase to 3 x a day.....Anxious to see how it works! Thanks for the info!

Gerri

Old 05-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

I take four grams in the evening only. I am taking all kinds of stuff all day long and don't want it to interfere with my medications. The package instructions are very specific--it says take medications at least one hour before or four hours after cholestyramine.

Gerri, I hope you get good results. Let me know how you're doing, and if you haven't read the insert I would check it out and tell your doc if you see any discrepancies between what it says and what you are doing. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi sleeperwoken,

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to ask my doctor about it next time I go.

In the meantime though I'm now freaking out about the idea of the Bb feeding themselves off the dead ones, and wondering how I can flush them out more quickly in the meantime.

Old 05-22-2005, 10:09 PM   #6
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Anyone know if Chitosan would work the same? I asked my dr about cholestyramine and he is against it, so I don't think I've be getting it. However I would worry about it lowering my cholesterol as it is already fairly low. Wobenzyme is suppose to do about the same thing, but it smells and is constipating, however it does make me feel better the next morning.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:26 AM   #7
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

I just forwaded thread to doc and asked to discuss med at appt. tomorrow. Just wish I was sleeping instead of wide-eyed... cj

Old 05-23-2005, 04:02 AM   #8
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Angela, chitosan helps circulation and blood flow. In that way, it gets similar results in lowering cholesteral, but not in binding to lyme toxins.

I think wobenzymes gobble up the toxin die-off the same way the live lyme does. It makes sense that this would work too.

I have low cholesteral too. I'll have to see if my doctor is bothered by that, I'll ask her this week when I see her.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:21 PM   #9
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Maybe Chitosan is the wrong thing, but I was thinking that is the one that is said to help weightloss because it binds to things, I think primarily fat and doesn't allow it to be absorbed through the intestine. I was first seeing it sold for dogs for weight control, but thought I had seen it at the drugstore packaged for human consumption. I assume Cholestrymine is fairly expensive huh?

Old 05-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #10
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hey sleeper,

I just finished reading a few pages about cholestryamine. There was one good site in particular pertaining to the immune system. It was originally written by a Dr. Cheney and it talked about lyme and CFS patients. It said this is good for lyme and you should also take pioglitazone/Actos to minimize the herxing. He said the original dosage (maybe for cholesterol) was 4 scoops but that each scoop contains 1 tsp of sugar and would upset the gut, therefore the lower dose for lymies. If I read correctly it was also referred to as Questran? The site also included a reference for herbals and natural supplements. Very informative. I guess I'll be headed (actually my husband) to the health food store this week. Good stuff! Thanks for the info and update I am going to run it by the homeopathic and see if there is something comparable in that end of it as I don't know if I can get the prescription for it. Thanks again.
    betterdaysforme

Last edited by Betterdaysforme; 05-23-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Old 05-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #11
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

There is a cholestyramine Lite that is made with a sugar substitute. I just take regular cholesteramine and I only take one scoop. I can't remember what product is in the lite. Maybe nutrasweet or what's that other one, splenda or something like that?

I'm so tired, I'm going to bed now. I will make more sense tomorrow....maybe.

Closed Thread