It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• I tested + to babasia, need info on abx

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
    I tested + to babasia, need info on abx

Hey everyone,
    I saw my Dr. yesterday with results to test. I tested positive to Babesia comprehensive panel (B.Microti, IGG) I was in range 1:80. I also tested positive to HHV-6. So my positive test are as follows;

ANA
    EBV
    CMV
    HHV-6
    Babasia
    Chronic Sinusitus

My Dr. has put me on 3 weeks of Mepron 750mg, clindamycin 300mg, and zithromax 500mg. She thinks this may help, if not, I need IV treatment. Is there anyone out there who thinks 3 weeks of these abxs will help change a 2 year disability. After all I have been through in two years it is hard to believe anything will change the way I feel for the better. Does any one have any tips for taking these drugs other than eating cheese with the Mepron?

Does everyone here know that the Igenex test have not been cleared or approved by the FDA. This kinda bothers me. Regardless, I should have lyme because of my habits. When my office visit was over I figured since the Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge is only 45 minutes away I would take a walk around some of the ponds and see what I see. When I got done I searched for ticks and found three. I can tell you the names, common and latin, of almost every animal found in our country but I dont know squat about ticks. Maybe someone here can help me make an ID. Two of the ticks were a little less than a reddish brown with a light tan spot. These are very common in SC. The other was very small, about 1/8 and black. These are not as common but I have pulled 3 off of me this year. Even though I pull a lot of ticks off me during the year it has bee about three years since I actually had one lock onto me.

I must be retarded, to leave a LLMDs office and head straight for tick country.

This is a day after I wrote the above and I have found out a little about ticks.
    I dicovered one on me last night and it was a small dark brown tick with black stripesthat you can only see with magnification. This is a deer tick, right. The larger more common one, red brown with cream colored spot is a dog tick. Is this right please correct me if im wrong.
    Thanks,

Derek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 09:37 AM   #2
    sagedreamer
    (female)

sagedreamer HB User
    Re: I tested + to babasia, need info on abx

i too tested positive for babesia :: did the zyth mepron combo and feel wonderful :: now, my lyme issues that's another story!

Old 05-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

It's a bit hard to tell you anything about the ticks without actually having seen them, but I can take an educated guess.

The tiny black tick you described sure does sound like a deer tick (ixodes scapularis, also known as a black-legged tick).

The other one you described could be a dog tick, but it could also possibly be a lone star tick (amblyomma americanum). They get their name from the light colored spot such as the one you described. They are much rounder than dog ticks, dog ticks are more oblong shaped. Either of these could be found in SC, and of course dog ticks are in every state. Lone star ticks are suspected of transmitting Erlichia (HGE) in the southeastern US and are under investigation as vectors for Babesiosis. The lone star tick is a vector for Masters' disease, also known as Southern Lyme, which is caused by another borrelia which causes Lyme type symptoms.

Old 05-27-2005, 07:47 PM   #4
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Derek. Your Babesiosis test is pretty positive. Did your doctor say she was going to treat it for only three weeks total? From my own non-medical experience and my correspondence with others, three weeks is not long enough treatement for Babesiosis. It seems that many people who are treated for a short time only need to be treated again.

You need to eat something fatty when taking the Mepron. It can be cheese, peanut butter, ice cream etc.

Regarding the ticks, I agree that the reddish one with the tan spot is a female Lonestar tick. The small black one sounds like a deer tick and the brown with stripes sounds like a dog tick. How do you remove the ticks you find?

I recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner. It is packed with information, including descriptions and photos of the different kinds of ticks.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

The reddish brown tick with the spot is a female Lone Star tick like Ticker said. We pulled one off dad a couple weeks ago and we positively identified it from pictures. I've had them on me before years ago and didn't know they were even ticks. Nasty little buggers. They carry Erlichiosis so you need to be tested for that too. I haven't been tested for Babs yet, but my dr and I suspect I have it. I'm taking Zithromax and Flagyl and having worse sweats than ever so I think perhaps the Babs is not liking that combo of abx, must be affecting its lifecycle in some way though I thought only antimalarial drugs would touch it.

Old 05-28-2005, 12:15 PM   #6
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ticker
    Hi Derek. Your Babesiosis test is pretty positive. Did your doctor say she was going to treat it for only three weeks total? From my own non-medical experience and my correspondence with others, three weeks is not long enough treatement for Babesiosis. It seems that many people who are treated for a short time only need to be treated again.

You need to eat something fatty when taking the Mepron. It can be cheese, peanut butter, ice cream etc.

Regarding the ticks, I agree that the reddish one with the tan spot is a female Lonestar tick. The small black one sounds like a deer tick and the brown with stripes sounds like a dog tick. How do you remove the ticks you find?

I recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner. It is packed with information, including descriptions and photos of the different kinds of ticks.
    Hey Ticker,
    The Dr. told me she was going to treat me for three weeks and I would return on the forth week. She said if I showed promise with the oral abx than she would continue it and if not she would contact my GP and have her perform IV abx.

You are right on tick id. I looked at a bunch of photos yesterday on ticks and they all muched. I never knew we had 3+ species of tick in SC. It was a dog tick that was latched on to me the others I caught in time. I removed it by sliding an xacto knife between it and my skin. I kinda pried it up with knife and it let go. I hope this is the right way. Common sence tells me not to squeeze it or the content of the gut may be expelled into the blood stream, that cant be good.

There is no doubt in my mind that I have CFIDS/Fibro and know I now that the babesia caused it. In treating the babesia could it be that I wipe it out of my system and still continue to have the CFIDS/Fibro, or will my life be returned at the end of babesia?

Old 05-28-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngelaA
    The reddish brown tick with the spot is a female Lone Star tick like Ticker said. We pulled one off dad a couple weeks ago and we positively identified it from pictures. I've had them on me before years ago and didn't know they were even ticks. Nasty little buggers. They carry Erlichiosis so you need to be tested for that too. I haven't been tested for Babs yet, but my dr and I suspect I have it. I'm taking Zithromax and Flagyl and having worse sweats than ever so I think perhaps the Babs is not liking that combo of abx, must be affecting its lifecycle in some way though I thought only antimalarial drugs would touch it.
    Hey AngelaA,
    I always thought they were called Lone Star because they were common in Texas. I had no idea it was for the " lone star" on there back. Why flagyl? isn't that used for worms and parasites? I use to give that to pet snakes for tricanomas and ameobas.

Old 05-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

I believe the reason for the Flagyl is that Babesiosis is a protazoan.

I thought the same thing about the lone star ticks, I thought the name meant that they were only in Texas and that we didn't have to worry about them in other states. As it turns out they're all over the place.

Last edited by TINUVIEL; 05-28-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Old 05-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #9
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TINUVIEL
    Hi,

I believe the reason for the Flagyl is that Babesiosis is a protazoan.

I thought the same thing about the lone star ticks, I thought the name meant that they were only in Texas and that we didn't have to worry about them in other states. As it turns out they're all over the place.
    Is babesosis and babesia the same?

Old 05-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Yes, babesiosis is the disease and the various species of causative organisms (there are more than one) are referred to as babesia.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #11
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Actually, I just looked it up and Flagyl is used to treat the cyst form of Lyme.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #12
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TINUVIEL
    Actually, I just looked it up and Flagyl is used to treat the cyst form of Lyme.
    What do you think about the ? I asked ticker. Is it possible that I could wipe out the Babesia CFIDS and Fibro or will the CFIDS/Fibro stick around long after babesia is gone? I am kinda confused about all of this. I hear it is all the same from some and that the babesia has caused the CFIDS/Fibro by others. I need to go back to work! Has anyone else here been unable to work for 2 years.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #13
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Derek. The safest way to remove a tick is by using tweezers and grabbing the tick by the mouthparts as close to the skin as possible and pulling straight back. You are correct about not pulling it off with your fingers because squeezing the body will make it regurgitate into the bloodstream.

I am sorry you have Babesiosis, but I am so glad you were tested. My non-medical guess about your situation is that once you have treated the Lyme and Babesiosis, you will be better. Realize it can take time to eradicate these diseases, especially when you have been sick for a while. My guess is that as the bacterial load (and protozoa load from the Babesiosis) is reduced significantly, you will feel improvement. Then after reaching that mid-point,
    you will likely continue to improve over time. Treatment for Babesiosis can be
    rough. Many people herx approximately three days and again at three weeks
    after starting treatment.

Good luck with your treatment! Keep us posted on how you are doing okay?

Last edited by ticker; 05-29-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Old 05-29-2005, 02:47 PM   #14
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ticker
    Hi Derek. The safest way to remove a tick is by using tweezers and grabbing the tick by the mouthparts as close to the skin as possible and pulling straight back. You are correct about not pulling it off with your fingers because squeezing the body will make it regurgitate into the bloodstream.

I am sorry you have Babesiosis, but I am so glad you were tested. My non-medical guess about your situation is that once you have treated the Lyme and Babesiosis, you will be better. Realize it can take time to eradicate these diseases, especially when you have been sick for a while. My guess is that as the bacterial load (and protozoa load from the Babesiosis) is reduced significantly, you will feel improvement. Then after reaching that mid-point,
    you will likely continue to improve over time. Treatment for Babesiosis can be
    rough. Many people herx approximately three days and again at three weeks
    after starting treatment.

Good luck with your treatment! Keep us posted on how you are doing okay?
    Ticker I have only taken drugs for two days and both days I have felt an increase in burning sensations in back and backs of arms and an increase in sweating in back. Is this common?

Old 05-30-2005, 07:15 AM   #15
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Derek. It is likely that the meds are starting to stir things up. I always recommend keeping a log of symptoms. One way to do this is to list the three main symptoms you have each day and rate them from 1-10 in how severe they are. Over time when you look at this list, you will be able to see when you herx and how you are responding to the meds.

Closed Thread