It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• According to eMedicine, the Lyme blood test is 100% accurate in LATE stage Lyme

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2005, 09:19 PM   #1
    Emak

Emak HB User
    According to eMedicine, the Lyme blood test is 100% accurate in LATE stage Lyme

Am I reading this wrong? Why do I see so many people posting that Lyme testing is so innacurate at the late stages, and then this same group of people seem to go on about promoting this Igenex lab... it looks to me like the standard test is 100% accurate in Late stage...(see the bottom line)...so what is the real deal here people?

Serology is the standard of diagnosis in later stages of the disease.
    Reported specificity of Lyme serology is only 90-95%. Therefore, the positive predictive value of the test is highly dependent on the prevalence of disease. Lyme serology should not be performed in children with nonspecific symptoms and no history of exposure or in children in nonendemic areas.
    Antibodies are known to persist for many years despite eradication of the infection. Hence, diagnosis of repeat infection or evidence of cure can be difficult based on serology alone.
    Serology should include a two-step process. First, perform enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) or immunofluorescent assay (IFA) and, if positive, go to the second step. This next step involves Western blot analysis against specific antigens. This step is not interpretable in the absence of a positive ELISA or IFA result. Most assays require immunoglobulin against at least 3 specific proteins (for immunoglobulin M [IgM]) or 5 specific proteins (for immunoglobulin G [IgG]) for results to be considered positive. Patients with early Lyme disease who are treated with antibiotics may never develop positive titer results.

Early disease: Only one third of patients have a positive titer result; therefore, clinicians rely on the presence of the rash to make the diagnosis. For patients without an EM rash but in whom Lyme disease is suspected, serial titers eventually can be used to confirm the diagnosis.

Early disseminated disease: Ninety percent of patients have a positive titer result.

Late disease: One hundred percent of patients have a positive titer result.

Last edited by Emak; 05-28-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2005, 03:48 AM   #2
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User
    Re: According to eMedicine, the Lyme blood test is 100% accurate in LATE stage Lyme

Hi Emak,

I don't know if this will answer your statements, but being in the late stages (5 years after I was infected with Lyme), several local labs tested me for Lyme and every test came back negative.

When IgeniX tested me, I tested positive in 10 bands for Ehrlichiosis. I was so curious to why the local labs didn't find anything so I asked a LLMD why???? I was angry that these local labs didn't find anything.

The LLMD told me that these local labs do not use 100% pure lyme antigen mixed with a patient's blood, thus the Negative results. The bottom line is money as if you research the cost of Lyme Antigens, it is expensive, so local labs cut down on the antigens to save money.

Interesting, huh?

Hope I shed some light on this topic.

Denise

Old 05-29-2005, 07:38 AM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: According to eMedicine, the Lyme blood test is 100% accurate in LATE stage Lyme

Hi Emak. This information is not true. Ask any professional who is knowledgeable about Lyme. Even the CDC, who is behind the times regarding tickborne illnesses, states that a negative test does not rule out Lyme.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Hi Emak- What Lyme test are you referring to? There is at least a dozen different Lyme tests that detect the spirochetes by different methods. The CDC states clearly that Lyme is a clinical diagnosis. Most LLMD say that any of the tests are not that accurate that less than 50% of people that have Lyme will test positive on any test. Some people will never develop the antibodies. That's why Ingenex is such a good lab because they have a test that will look for pieces of the spirochete's DNA instead of just antibodies.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

That information conflicts with the information from the US Center for Disease Control. Check with the CDC, who states that the Lyme diagnosis is to be primarily clinical. As Ticker said, they are notoriously behind the times on this issue and even they state that a negative test does not rule out Lyme.

In a study being conducted during the development of the Lymerix vaccine, involving a group of 10,000 participants, it was found that 36% of individuals with culture proven Lyme (culture or DNA positive) NEVER developed a positive Western Blot test.

As for your frankly insulting insinuation that we are "promoting" Igenex, we are certainly not "promoting" any particular lab for promotion's sake, Igenex simply happens to be the most highly reputed lab among Lyme knowledgable professionals, and we provided that information to spare you the wasted time and money that many of us have gone through and in the hope that you might obtain the most accurate information possible.

The folks here on this board, and bear in mind that many of us are dealing with accute illness in addition to managing families, etc., have been kind and generous in taking the time to share with you our experiences and to try and answer your questions and address your concerns.

So the bottom line is, at this point, that we have shared with you the hard earned lessons of our months-long, years-long, or in some cases even decades-long struggle with this devastating disease and the information we have gathered along the way from Lyme knowledgable doctors, nurses, and other patients.

As for your own symptoms, you are entirely free to either heed our recommendations, or not. If you feel like going with the results of a test or doing what your current doctor told you, go ahead, that is your perogative.

Last edited by TINUVIEL; 05-29-2005 at 01:04 PM.

Closed Thread