It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Looking for all Vitamins/minerals!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
    nothingtofear

nothingtofear HB User
    Question Looking for all Vitamins/minerals!!!

Hi,
    well- my very Lyme Literate doc. and I decided to try it without meds for a while. I have been on a variety of Lyme meds since October... Wish me luck.
    But, i have decided to prop myself up in whatever way i can to feel better even if i am not Lyme free yet.

I would most appreciate it if you could share with me the various daily vitamin/mineral ( or anything else) rituals you have found to be useful...
    Thank you so very much...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
    Re: Looking for all Vitamins/minerals!!!

Cheleated Zinc & Selenium seem to help. You know when you are taking a mound of pills each day it is sometimes hard to tell. The selenium probably helps because it supports the thyroid and the spirochetes do love to play around with the thyroid & hypothalumus. Magnesium also helps and I have to take it Slow-Mag.

Also I find children's chewable vitamins really help. Alright quite laughing! I started noticing how the "adult" vitamins regardless of brand didn't seem to absorb well for me and I remembered how I did well on Centrum liquid vitamins years ago. I don't think its still made, but that's okay because it tasted HORRIBLE and it has alcohol in it which would interfere with Flagyl anyway. So I started on Flintstones vitamins and feel like I have more energy with those. Someone on another board told me off that iron feeds Babesia, so I guess it might be best to choose the iron free version. However I have had trouble with low blood volume, low BP, low platelets, fainting and being covered in petachiae all of which seem to be less of a problem since taking iron. Oh I should add a month ago I was on Chromagen which is a prescription high iron supplement which I felt so much better on. However the stuff cost $60 (insurance won't cover it), so I switched over to Flintstones after that.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Nothingtofear,

I stopped taking the Doxy (since I am not seeing a LLMD as of yet) so in the interim I am taking Collidoil Silver which contains Magnesium, most of the B Vitamins, Aloe, and a bunch of more stuff. I also take probiotics made by Jarrow, and I am still waiting for 2 things: the Samento which other members swear by and the Book called "Beating Lyme Disease: Using Alternative Medicine and God-Designed Living" by David A. Jernigan. I know the Silver has helped the pain in my legs tremendously! I swear by the silver.

I know others also eat raw garlic (I used to do that), and take the Detox Baths (there are threads on that one).

Angela,

That's a great idea about Flintstone Vitamins as I hate taking the Adult Vitamins too. How did you know I burst out laughing?

I didn't know the Flintstones absorb better compared to the Adult Vitamins, very interesting and thanks for letting me know that.

You are a source of information.

Denise

Last edited by deejavu; 06-03-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Denise,

I just had to say something to make you laugh. Really I am not endorsing Flintstones vitamins per se, its just that is the only brand of chewable vitties I could find in town that did not contain aspartame. Of course the Dino shapes are an added bonus. Those chunky adult vitamins with the thick coating don't seem to absorb at all as my urine is always neon green within 2 hrs of taking them, meaning the nutrients pass right through and you aren't getting any benefit from them. Whereas that doesn't happen with chewable vitamins, probably because chewing them breaks it down enough to where the body can absorb it quickly especially if one digestive problems to begin with. The fact I feel better when taking them also proves they are absorbing. I just bought a huge bottle of Nature's Plus Animal Parade vitamins that I can't wait to try they were on sale on the Vitamin Shoppe website. Besides the usual vits/minerslas it also contains whole foods like sunflower oil, carrot, beets, broccoli, west indian cherry, pineapple, rose hips, etc. Unlike most whole foods supplements it does not contain garlic, onion and strawberries which I am extremely allergic to.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:18 AM   #5
    nothingtofear

nothingtofear HB User

what about the liquid vitamins? I would think those would absorb like the chewables?
    What about extra B? i have heard those are quite important as well.
    I really do apreciate as much info. as possible. I am determined to do this right...

Old 06-04-2005, 05:03 AM   #6
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Nothingtofear,

I don't know if they make liquid vitamins as that would make lots of sense. I was always curious if they made liquid B-Complex as I would like to try that. Guess I have to do some research. A long time ago I used to get shots in my butt of Vitamin B's and I felt so much better after those shots so I know they work.

Angela,

I know you are not endorsing Flintstones, ha, ha, ha! I think I would prefer chewing Dino's compared to chewing little animals, especially when they are having a parade!! :0)

Anyway, it does make sense to avoid the thick-coated vitamins since they don't absorb into the body compared to the chewable ones.
    Denise

Old 06-04-2005, 05:41 AM   #7
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hey Guys,

I am just doing a little research this morning. I am going to try to keep this brief because I think I will get more responses.

Nothingtofear,
    Is your doctor taking you off meds because your symptoms are gone or just a break. For the 2 months I was on doxy I feel it was a break because I know it wasn't doing anything. Right now I am on colloidal silver and saventaro capsules. My doctor also added thymex last go round. Sometimes I wonder if I go off the meds for a while if I would get better. Probably not! It hasn't been that way in the past. I crashed when they had to take me off the rocephin IV. I would feel more comfortable if all the symptoms were gone before I did that anyway. What were you taking and is this just a trial and error thing you and your doctor are doing? By the way my husband has taken seasilver (liquid vitamin & mineral combo)for years and has not gotten colds or anything for a very long time. Thank God! You would have thought he was giving birth when he had a cold. I just started taking it a few weeks ago. I hope it will help. It is liquid and has a ton of stuff in it. You can find it on the internet.

Hey Angela,

I asked my doctor to test me with the beta sitasterol (kind of like a natural cholestryamine) and he said the magnets did not say that it would necessarily help. I am so enthused about sleeperwoken's progress after adding it to her regimen that I would like to try something like it anyway. You said in one of your posts that you think wobenzyme would be similar. I have looked it up and found 2 kinds. Red & clear. Apparently you can get either one but the site said that in the US the health food stores wanted the clear because it left out sucrose, kaolin (which they said you needed to help prevent gas) and yellow food coloring. Which one did you take and did you have any of the above problems with it? I sure don't want to add problems but would like to see if this would help. Sometimes I wonder if I am really digesting half the stuff I am given. Is this good for that? The site I looked at was $29.90 for 200 + $5.99 shipping. Is that a good price? They said to take 3 a day. How many do you take? I read all of their mumbo jumbo about benefits but thought maybe you could tell me what you think they are in layman's terms. Thanks!

Deejavu,
    How's it going? I hope the colloidal silver helps. Did you order the liquid samento? Let me knoow how it works. I am on the colloidal silver and saventaro combined. Last Tuesday when I was just on the saventaro (3 weeks worth) I went to the doctor and could barely walk into his office. I don't know if it was a panic attack or a herx. It felt more like a herx than anything I have experienced so far. That day I started the combo with CS and he added thymex for immune support. Well that night and the next day were horrible. I don't think it was a reaction because I didn't get sick or anything. My left upper arm which has been the part of me that has hurt the most hurt worse than ever before. I was having headaches and could barely walk for 2 days. It seems to be getting a little better but very slowly. Herx? I don't know. I will say that my husband has been on me to walk around the house more and stubborn thing that I am I try to do it. I don't know if I am overdoing it or just finally getting some much needed exercise (if you want to call it that). My poor legs have no muscle tone from sitting so much and I guess only I can make it better. I am trying to be up and around during all commercials. That's a lot! I keep telling him that if I fall he is the one who has to pick me up. Of course then he feels bad. I am trying to devise some safe ways to get leg exercise. I have deided there comes a point you have to start somewhere. I hope this works.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

betterdaysforme

Old 06-04-2005, 06:16 AM   #8
    nothingtofear

nothingtofear HB User

I was so bad 2 weeks ago, that i went to a differnt Lyme neurologist just for another pair of eyes. He said "You are taking too much" and your body needs a rest. I was taking Maleron ( after 2 months of Mepron), Plaqunel, Zithromax, and something else. ( sorry, Lyme moment)..
    I had been on a variety of combos since last October (2004).. Still feeling poorly, i went back to my orig. Lyme doc. who agreed that we dont know what is working or not since i was taking so much. He too said to take a break and see if i crash. If i crash we will reassess the situation.
    Each day off meds, i feel a little better. I am so scared to even write that thinking i will jinx myself. This is wht i want to saturate myself with the right vitamins to give myself every chance off meds...

Old 06-04-2005, 08:53 AM   #9
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hey nothingtofear,

I know where you are coming from. After 9 weeks on the rocephin IV that was doing some good my liver went crazy. I was put on 100mg doxy 2x a day. Not enough I know but felt absolutely nothing from taking it. In fact what had gone away with the IV came back. I went back to homeopathic and he put me on colloidal silver for 3 weeks. Now I am on saventaro, colloidal silver, thymex and multiple supplements. Since last Tuesday my rearend is dragging. My husband tells people that I go from one piece of furniture to the next. I do. I don't think it's a reaction and am hoping it's a herx but not even sure about that. I can remember somebody telling me one time that change is good whether the change is good or bad. I hope so because this is definitely change. I will do this for the next couple of weeks and then maybe cut back a little myself. A herx can't last that long I hope so I will be able to make the correct decision. You just never know if it is the meds or a herx. Good luck with your vacation from meds.
    betterdaysforme

Old 06-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #10
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Betterdaysforme,

I didn't get my Samento yet, I am still waiting for it, hope I didn't order it from the wrong place. Think I will give them a call today to find out the status of my order.

The Silver is helping me tremendously, especially with the pain in my legs, it is practically gone. I am walking normal again which is great for me since those spirochetes love to attack my legs.

Sorry you are falling down, I used to fall down and I am all alone in my house so I had to watch where I fall so I can get myself up again. I remember falling flat on my butt and I couldn't stop laughing as I was a site! I had this date and I was overdoing it with cleaning my house. By the time I had my date I was sooooo tired that I must have been the most boring person in the world, ha, ha, ha!

In so many ways it really stinks to be all alone with this disease, but I guess there are pros and cons to everything in life.

I don't know if you had a herx or not, last time I herxed was when I was on Doxy and the herx lasted about 3 or more days. I was bedridden and felt horrible but I didn't care. I normally suffer from panic attacks (long before I contacted Lyme) and I don't remember having a panic attack during my herx.

Feel better!!
    Denise

Old 06-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #11
    autmom

autmom HB User

No expert here, but I'll share what my husband takes:

Advanced Daily (multi vit. min. antiox.)
    B-Complex
    Methly B12
    Glucosamine Sulfate
    Enzymes with meals
    Fish Oil
    Vitamin C
    Alpha Ketoglutaric Acid
    Probiotics
    Sleep Formula
    Saventaro
    Selenium

On Skin:
    Mag. Sulfate Cream
    Essential oils

Recently added the Selenium, and I think it has helped.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #12
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hi automom,

It's funny you mention selennium. A few years ago when we thought it might be metal poisoning I had a hair test done. The results showed there was absolutley no selennium in my system along with a lot of other things that were missing. To be honest with you I had never even heard of half the stuff that was missing. Some of the stuff they said could be skewed because I color my hair but not the selennium or molybdenum (sp). It was really scary but made me realize that might be contributing to the problem too. I don't know if the cause is the lyme or all the steroids they gave me via IV (1,000mg/day). I may take some too since I have it here and I don't think it will hurt me. Anytime somebody says something is working you get all excited. After all these years you can't halp it I guess.
    betterdaysforme

Old 06-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #13
    autmom

autmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Betterdaysforme
    Hi automom,

The results showed there was absolutley no selennium in my system along with a lot of other things that were missing. To be honest with you I had never even heard of half the stuff that was missing. Some of the stuff they said could be skewed because I color my hair but not the selennium or molybdenum (sp). It was really scary but made me realize that might be contributing to the problem too. betterdaysforme
    I recently had hair elements tests done on my husband and son. Many of the minerals were way off - and they shouldn't be since they are supplemented. By following "counting rules" the testing (results were abnormal) indicates there is a high probability for mercury poisoning for both of them - even though the mercury levels shown in the test are not high.

Interesting that my son's mercury level does not even show up in his hair, which is typical in autism, and its believed by many that most autistic people do not excrete mercury properly, so it builds up in their system and causes havoc.

Last edited by autmom; 06-04-2005 at 01:15 PM.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #14
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Betterdaysforme-I've never seen red & clear Wobenzyme. There is human Wobenzyme and also a Dog Wobenyzme and one of the local pharmacies carries both. The human formula I have taken is an off-white beige color and it does not contain kaolin, surcrose or any dyes. I get 200 for around $31, but there is a generic version of it called Movenzyme sold by Doctor's Trust that contains all the same ingredients but with vitamin C added and it costs around $25.

I came across info saying Wobenzyme helped fibromyalgia patients by digesting neurotoxins. So that is why I say it should be good for Lymies because we got plenty of neurotoxins. It works differently from cholestrymine because that binds things, whereas Wobenzyme digests neurotoxins through enzymatic action. In other words it breaks it down to where the body can get rid of it. But cholestrymine has too much risk of binding to your thyroid meds, vitamins and antibiotics thus my LLMD says to avoid it. As far as digestive tract symptoms related to Wobenzyme the only thing I notice is a little constipation. But then since antibiotics have the opposite effect they sort of balance things out so to speak.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:37 AM   #15
    nothingtofear

nothingtofear HB User

Has anyone ever heard of ***** Vitamins? I hear they are supposed to be the best as far as absorption... if not, what brands do ya'll like of a good ol multi?

Closed Thread