It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• I didn't believe you guys about the Doxy!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
    dallasmommy
    (female)

dallasmommy HB User
    I didn't believe you guys about the Doxy!

Ok, I didn't believe you guys about the sun-sensitivity with regards to the doxy and oh boy I won't doubt you guys again. I went out w/out sunscreen for about 30 minutes and am a really good specimen of redness. I know I have fair skin to begin with, so yes, I was stupid. Just a testament to you guys knowledge of your meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: I didn't believe you guys about the Doxy!

Ouch! I am sorry you got so burned. Get the highest number sunscreen available, and still be careful! Your skin may feel like it is on fire when you are in the sun even when you are wearing sunscreen.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
    dallasmommy
    (female)

dallasmommy HB User

That is exactly what is happening. We are supposed to go on vacation next week to Sea World and I think I will find the biggest-brimmed sun hat I can and wear long-sleeves in the TX sweltering sun to protect myself. Thanks for listening Ticker even though you thoroughly warned me in the first place!

Old 06-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Yikes! I know how that is, been there, done that. I actually still have scars on my feet from burns I got last summer! Good luck on your vacation to sea world.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
    dallasmommy
    (female)

dallasmommy HB User

Thanks! It will be nice to get the kids out of town for the first time since I got sick last year.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User

You could also try a small fold-up umbrella for while you're standing in line or walking....Helps me! Hope you have a wonderful time!

Old 06-09-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
    dallasmommy
    (female)

dallasmommy HB User

Thank you! My neuro just presribed a new med for my headaches, too, so that should make for a good time. Wouldn't that be crazy to actually feel good for one day since I got sick?

Old 06-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #8
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Sorry about the sunburn! I guess that is why my LLMD refuses to give Doxy to his patients in the Southwest. I was talking to him on the phone this morning in fact and he refused to even consider Doxy for me and told me why. You might want to check out those special shirts you can get that have a built in sunscreen. They are long sleeve and have something in the fabric that protects as much as a high SPF sunscreen. I have never tried the shirt, but it looks like the fabric is cool and light-weight. I have seen them where hiking & fishing clothing is sold.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #9
    dallasmommy
    (female)

dallasmommy HB User

Thanks! I'll look into it.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
    Laura2
    (female)

Laura2 HB User

Since I just started on doxy, and my 2yo has been REALLY looking forward to going to the pool, I'd love to read up on the sun sensitivity thing. When I saw the note on the medicine bottle, I just figured it was a usual warning and that it was no big deal. Is there 1 particular thread you could guide me to? (I tried to search it, but didn't have any luck).

Old 06-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #11
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Laura2,

I think the thread is about 3-4 pages back on the board. Doxy causes SERIOUS photosensitivity, probably the worst of all meds. While on doxy you can easily get a sunburn on the back of your hands while driving a car with tinted windows. You can sunburn through sunscreens and even wearing sunscreens you will find the sun painful against the skin. It can also damage your eyes if you don't have good sunglasses on and you can easily get sun poisoning. You are really taking your chances staying out more than 5 minutes even with using protective measures. Can another family member take your 2yo to the pool? It is very risky especially with the water reflecting even more UV rays on you.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
    Laura2
    (female)

Laura2 HB User

AngelaA,

Thanks, I'll look for the thread.

Gee whiz - I had no idea it was that bad! I thought I'd be OK if I tried to stay in the shade and used sunscreen, but still got in the water with her a little. If it's that bad, why don't they make it clearer?? (My doctor certainly didn't say anything, nor did the pharmacist, just the little warning lable - "may cause sun sensitivy"). Gonna be a long summer!!!

Old 06-11-2005, 05:07 AM   #13
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

It absolutely is that bad, please, please don't take the warning lightly. I thought it was no big deal too and my doctor didn't impress upon me the seriousness of it. It got extremely bad third degree burns last year. My skin was purple (truly, I am not exaggerating) and my skin bubbled and scabbed and peeled raw. A year later my skin on my feet is brown and scaly on some areas and my face is wrinkled like a 90 years old when I smile you can see deep lines. I have large brown spots on the side of my face from the sun and they are not going to go away.

At the time I got the sunburn, last year, I was on 600 mg of doxy a day and I burned even if I had spf 50 and a large brimmed hat, it didn't matter one bit. I couldn't even sit near a window in the house. The burn was very, very painful. My dermatologist FLIPPED OUT when she saw my skin and said we would have to biopsy.

If you are not going to stay indoors, I would seriously consider switching to a different antibiotic for the summer months. You can do permanent damage if you don't. I am not an alarmist by nature, so don't think I'm over reacting or being silly about this. It's all for real.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #14
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Laura,

I know it is surprising patients aren't told these sort of things. I've never had any dr give me any sort of warning on drug interactions or precautions and rarely does a pharmacist bother either. Few people know for instance that you don't take calcium or iron within two hours of Zithromax. Most people that take Zith get the Z-pack and no where does the manufacturer even let the patient know even though there is plenty of room on the packaging. Then they get mad because the Z-pack didn't clear up their sinus infection, but had they not had that bowl of iron enriched cereal and milk with their dose of Zith it probably would have cured them. Only once have I ever got Zith with a pharmacy sticker about the dietary precaution. The pharmacist did tell me about the antabuse and photosensitivity as he handed me the Flagyl bottle, but did not put stickers on it. BTW-if you do take Doxy it has the same iron & calcium precaution as Zith.

Just like Sleeperwoken said were not trying to be alarmists, its just that some of us already have experience with the various antibiotics. I just was think OMG when I read you wanted to sit by the pool on Doxy. I'm on Flagyl which is only mildly photosensitive and I get the sunburns on the back of the hands driving with the windows up and Doxy is suppose to be 10 times worse. My dr is debating right now whether to change me over to Doxy because the Zith is so expensive. He normally refuses to give Southwestern patients Doxy except in winter. If he prescribes it I will have to hide indoors being on Doxy, Flagyl & Zyrtec which are all photosensitive. One doesn't realize what an "issue" it becomes till they have to alter their lifestyle for months at a time. Today I saw it was getting dark like it was about to rain so I rushed out to put some air in the tires and check the fluid in the car which I have been needing to do for awhile, but it is constantly sunny in Arizona. The sun peeked out again while I was still working on it and my skin started hurting from the heat of the sunlight. I can't wear sunscreen because I am allergic to the ingredients even in the hypoallergenic brands. Just from zipping in and out of work to my car and running to the store a few times in the past week my skin has stayed red constantly. Actually its starting to tan which surprised me, but I wouldn't advise this as a way to get a tan as it has a potential to be dangerous.

Last edited by AngelaA; 06-11-2005 at 04:22 PM.

Closed Thread