It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

Trying lymphatic drainage therapy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
6Blues
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Trying lymphatic drainage therapy

Hi!

My LLMD has a natura-pathic (sp?) therapist who works in the same office and I am scheduled for 3 sessions of lymphatic drainage therapy. I go 3 weeks in a row, begining next week.

From the description, the therapist uses aromatic oils to massage and stimulate the lymph glands and scalp/spine region to promote drainage.

My LLMD recommended it because another Lyme patient found great improvement in his neuro symptoms from this procedure.

It is also known as raindrop therapy.

It costs $100 a visit (ouch!) but I'll give it a try and let folks know if it has any affect other than putting me to sleep, LOL.

P.S. I love seeing all the new topics and posts when I log on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
gottagetbetter
Veteran
(female)

gottagetbetter HB User
Re: Trying lymphatic drainage therapy

6blues ,

Make sure they KNOW and UNDERSTAND how sick you actually are!

I did a lymphatic massage therapy called VODDER. She only did my neck and face. I becmae VERY ill. Emotionally upset..very depressed...then vomiting 24 hrs .... then the other end for 3 days. I lost 8lbs in 3 days. THe nausea lasted for about 2 months. Still am dealing with it a lot more then I ever did.

I have found that when the toxin load is high and then you release all of them into the blood our bodies go crazy.

Make sue you are doing your detox baths..at least every other day..rotating them out...skin brushing...light rebounding. Get your toxin load lessened and get your lymphatic sytem draining a little bit yourself first.

Let me know how your session goes.
~P

Old 06-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
6Blues
Senior Veteran
(female)

ggb:

Thank you so much for the advice!! It's always great to hear from someone who's been through it before.

I will be sure to try and lighten my toxic load before I go.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
zorm
Veteran
(female)

zorm HB User

Question about lymph.

Do lyme people get swellings under skin and skin thickening especially on my face? i have am currently investigating whether i have lyme disease and any help would be appreciated??

Zoe

Old 06-23-2005, 07:08 AM   #5
6Blues
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Zoe.

I personally don't have swellings or thickening.

Perhaps you can post a new thread with your question as the topic? I'm sure folks will respond.

Good health to you!

Old 06-28-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
6Blues
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I went for my therapy appt. today and I am dissappointed. The therapist (I think she may be a doctor) was wonderful: attentive, good listener, good at explaining each step she was doing.

But the session consisted of me having different oils lightly rubbed into the center of my back. She must have applied 10 different ones. She did 30 seconds of lymphatic drainage therapy.

I was lying there thinking, "I'm paying a hundred bucks for this??"

I felt no better or worse afterwards. I have 2 more sessions scheduled and I may cancel. I just feel that it was a waste.

My perception of the procedure could be my mood, which is terrible. I feel like crap, my muscles are sore and hurting, when I walk I have to hang onto walls for dear life, and my jiggly vision was so bad today I could barely drive.

I'm just sick of watching every single morsel of stupid food I put in my mouth (no sugar for 30 days - oh man, what I'd do for a snickers bar!). I want to walk a straight line without falling over like an old drunk. And I'm sick of my family's anger at me and my illness. I didn't ask to get sick.

Apologies for being full of **** & vinegar tonight but ... If only I would feel 5 or 10% better. I'll take any little glimmer of improvement - some morsel of tangible hope. I have no plans to win the Tour De France; walking normal would suffice.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:31 PM   #7
Betterdaysforme
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear 6 blues,

I am so sorry. I know you had such high hopes for this. Maybe it will be a delayed reaction.

I can sympathize with hanging onto walls. Door jambs have become my best friends. I hold them more than I do my husband.

It's funny you mention Lance Armstong's amazing feats. I was watching a show about him the other night and I have to say we are in a cake walk compared to what I saw. This gave me hope and determination to never give up. I haven't read his book but may have to get it.

Hang in there. Lots of ((((hugs)))) coming your way.

BDFM

Old 06-28-2005, 11:35 PM   #8
outinthe_woods
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

6 Blues: I Printed Out A Lot Of Info On Lymphatic Drainage, But Was Just Able To Skim It.....

I Don't Recall Anything About The Back Being Treated, Maybe You Could Call Her And Ask About The Treatment. I Did Get The Fact That The Lymphs Should Only Be Worked On Very Gently And For Short Times As (i Think I Remember This Correctly, But Maybe Not) More "lymph" Material Could Be Brought Into Them, Making It Sludgy (my Term) And You'd Be In Worse Shape.

Sorry You Feel So Awful - I Have To Say That After So Many Years Of This, I Personally Would Have A Small Bite Of Snickers....if You Can Stop After That! Maybe You'll Feel The Results Of The Treatment Tomorrow (whoops, Tonight! It's The Witching Time Of 2:45 A.m. Fellow Night Owls)

If She Made You Feel Comfort And Confidence In The Rest Of The Exam As You Stated, There Must Be A Reason For The Oils....i'm Surprised That She Didn't Explain That Part To You.....either Before Or After. If I Still Can't Get To Sleep, I'll Try Perusing My Printout....

Last edited by outinthe_woods; 06-28-2005 at 11:37 PM.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:26 AM   #9
Roman77
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

I just wanted to say hang in there. Maybe like the others say, it will be a delayed reaction or maybe it takes a few sessions for it to reach a noticeable level of improvement for you? But I can understand completely about wanting to see some type of results for the money you are forking over. Seesm like everything we need to heal costs a bundle some way or another, and that can be very frustrating in deed!

I can't help you with the snickers bar but can say like everyone else I've been there too! What I wouldn't do for a diet coke! I have given into that little urge and trust me I felt 10 x worse over the next week because of it. But sometimes our emotional needs outweigh the physical....I had to do it....maybe emotionally you really need that snickers to get you back in a more positive frame of mind and see exactly how much giving up the sugar is helping you in the long run?

It's hard to deal with everyday with how much lyme takes away from our lives. Not only does it take over our bodies, but it takes over our personal lives, business lives, and social lives. It's effects are felt everywhere and all the time and most people will never understand that unless they have been in our shoes or know someone close to them that they have had to fight for to get them well. I'm really sorry that your family is angry at you for being sick. You are right in saying that you didn't want to be sick, and they shouldn't be angry with you. I hope that they will eventually understand that and support you....it would help you out a lot I think.

Just remember that some days there is no silver lining to be seen, and it is all dark and stormy....use that and let it out....be **** and vineagar....it's in general good to get that stuff out and not let it fester....but always remember that maybe tomorrow there will be that little ray of light. Here's to praying that soon you'll notice a new little ray in your life.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 06-29-2005, 08:39 AM   #10
cjFTWORTH
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

don't apologize for the **** and vinegar...

and i have read that you can be very messed up an overzealous lymph drainage massage. i'm a tight wad, and man i can hear you on considering canceling the other two... truly. however, i do encourage you to keep the next one, see if by the second one, you can tell any difference. In that she sounds like a rational, caring person, maybe you could ask her if she'd be willing to listen to your fears, doubts, concerns... that you realize you know nothing about procedure but because of that, are having a hard time investing in something that 'feels' so un-therapeutic. especially when you hurt so bad, can barely drive there, walk a straight line, etc. tell HER you hate to ****/moan but holding it back may actually set back your treatment. that you WANT to be open to treatment and hope that this dialogue might better help you get it...

how the heck does the procedure work? not meaning to doubt her, but does she really belive what she is doing will benefit YOU? that you want to believe in it...

i hate these conversations but when i'm reeling in doubt, sometimes i just have to push forward and do it... if the professional i'm dealing with is truly a caring person, they 'get it' and want to assure me, aren't threatened, etc. if not, that's my 'head' up' that i need to move on anyway...
normally, they get it because i wouldn't delve into such a conversation with someone that i thought was going to be threatened... however, sometimes my instincts betray me...

there's my 2 or 11 cents... use what you may and I DO SO HOPE THINGS GET TURNED AROUND FOR YOU SOON! i hate the dispair i'm hearing. but don't hold that back either... just makes you sicker. cj

Old 06-29-2005, 08:50 AM   #11
Betterdaysforme
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear 6blues,

Maybe you need to buy one of those bags of miniature snickers if you think you have enough control to not eat the whole bag. Then you could "reward" yourself every once in a while and not feel guilty. If you don't have control you can have your kids hide them. That would be a switch.

I agree that the diet you are on is probably helping but can get old real quick. I haven't done a diet yet but have lost lots of weight so I am avoiding that. I bake all the time for my husband, and I mean all the time, but I don't eat much junk. Only one time did the sugar bother me and that was when I made a fresh banana cake and put cream cheese icing on it. A short time after eating a piece I had that drunk feeling and then it dawned on me it was the icing. If I ate another piece I cut the icing off. That was okay.

It's real funny but when I first started going to the homeopathic a few years ago he had me bring some stuff that I eat everyday to check for food allergies. I have drunk hot chocolate (carnation instant) for almost 30 years every morning. I even took it on vacation. He tested it and said that it wasn't good for me. I bet it was the sugar in it. I have not had but 1 or 2 cups in a couple of years. I really miss it. He also felt that when I recover from what is wrong that it would be okay to drink it again. It's amazing to me that his magnets were that sensitive way back then because we didn't even know it was lyme until a year later. Weird!

I hope today is a better day for you.

BDFM

Old 06-29-2005, 10:34 AM   #12
6Blues
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone for listening. I appreciate your words more than you know!!

I'll go to the 2nd appointment and see what happens. When I arrive, I'll take a deep breath, say a quick prayer for courage and tell the woman that I have doubts that scented oils can penetrate my skin and heal my cranial nerves from Bb damage.

Gosh, I never had a problem before having to say difficult/unconfortable things to people (in a gentle manner of course). I feel as if being home-bound the past year has zapped my self-confidence.

She was quite professional and I'm sure she'd respect my question. She certainly believes in the power of her procedure but I'm not sure my faith can stretch that far. However, I am an open-minded person which is why I agreed to try this in the first place.

P.S. I found out that my LLMD lost her husband (he was an MD also) to Lyme last year. That's just horrible; she's a terrific physician and a great woman. I'll say a prayer for her and her children. Perhaps others can too.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #13
outinthe_woods
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Hi, 6blues!

May I suggest that at your 2nd visit, you IMMEDIATELY ask her to explain the oil application. From what I've read, oils are not used in treatment of the lymphs, just using the "natural oils" of the skin to prevent friction as they moved it around... I'd be very interested in her answer. Also, maybe bring a pad & pen to write as she explains it for later "sinking in"....

How awful to hear about your LLMD's husband....just goes to show that absolutely no one, even those versed in this disease, is exempt!

You haven't mentioned feeling any differently after the first LDT and the oil application...The information on the net is quite good, although reading through it (about the Vodder technique being taught) from 3:30 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. was pretty heavy! LOL

Old 06-29-2005, 07:07 PM   #14
6Blues
Senior Veteran
(female)

gerribear:

I love the idea of bringing a paper & pencil and jotting down notes as she answers.

I've been feeling crappy, so my web time has been minimal but I will make a point of researching Vodder therapy and see how the descriptions compare to what I'm having done.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #15
outinthe_woods
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

6blues:

Hope the therapy will make a difference for you soon! Sending healing thoughts to you and SOON!

Closed Thread