It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• discouraged...Herx again after 1 day of Doxy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User
    Unhappy discouraged...Herx again after 1 day of Doxy

This will be a short one today. First time i'm sitting up in bed all day...other than to take 2 baths, and down my pills/benadryl/tylenol. As i've posted this week it has been a very long path with my doxy...my bod can't handle it at all. I was supposed to start my pulse therapy (100mg doxy 2xweek, trying to add flagyl in 3 weeks if no herx). Well yesterday AM took my doxy....by evening I was heading into herxville...speech, comprehenison, motor skills, vision all went downhill trememdously, as well as pain/HA/tremors/neurpoathy/itchiness increased x 100 it seems. Also left arm went numb/fingers locked up. This AM everything so much worse...couldn't and still havent gotten out of bed! Broke out like the "lobster" 2 times requiring two baths...slept when I could...and cried when I couldnt'. I am sooo discouraged that I cannot be even on my meds for one day without feeling like I am going to die, the pain is just incredible. Have to stop typin now pain is too much. Keep me in your prayers...hope my LLMD will have ideas when I call tomorrow...think he will say we're going to start iv traetment.
    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #2
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User
    Re: discouraged...Herx again after 1 day of Doxy

Sorry for what you're going through. I have been in that place, it's very painful indeed. I'll pray for you right now, okay? Hope you get some relief. Don't be afraid to ask the doc for painkillers.

sleeperwoken (Ephesians 5:14)

Old 06-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

Thx sleeper ~ means so much to know that I have prayers being sent up for me and positive vibes circulating....been sleeping most of the evening and feel just a tid bit stronger....can now hold my head up without using pillows and don't feel like I have an anchor weighing down each arm. Still don't think will be strong enough to go across town wiht my mom to have my food stamps/assistance interview tomorrow. But thankfully they will let my mom go in my plcae if I can't...just need to write a letter. So hopefully will be able to hold a pen tomorrow to wirte if I'm not able to go.

And about the pain killers....tonight I wish I had some, however my LLMD Dr. C is really against them adn I mostly agree -except on days like these. With the way my brain is, body handles things these days...narcotics would seem to worsen things and have in the past. He believes that using them regularly for the pain just causes more probs and masks herxs and symptoms that need to be dealt with...if that makes sense. But mabye I wll bring it up to him again tomorrow and see what he says.
    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 06-27-2005, 06:52 AM   #4
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

I am praying for you... can't imagine what you are going through.

Psalm 145: 9 The LORD is good to all;
    he has compassion on all he has made.

and yet I can imagine you might feel that he has forgotten you... tell him! But if so, try to remember his promise and get to the place where you can rest in it...

My husband just walked in and i told him what you are dealing with... he just said, 'man'...

you think about the road so many walk just to get an accurate diagnosis but then to know that there is medicine that can help and your body just won't accept it?! you've got to be in a tough place... all said to say, empathy is here for you... you've got a strong support group here on the boards that can relate and are PULLING FOR YOU. cj

Old 06-27-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

thx cj...I needed that great reminder, what a wonderful passage to be put in front of me at this time. God, prayer, and the good book (when I can read it!) have been a mainstay in this fight....added to it my fam and friends....now this wonderful board...if I could get the medicine to cooperate than I would have an unstoppable arsenal of support. Until the meds come on line, I'll hang on like a monkey!

Old 06-27-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Romans,

I hope today sees you out of bed. I agree with cj that it's bad enough to deal with the doctors but you have a good one and your body isn't co-operating. I am going to post a query to Ticker on this thread because it is kind of along these lines and may help you.

Ticker,

Do you feel that you don't herx as badly on IV medicine as on orals. I ask this because when I was on the rocephin IV I had twinges of what might have been herxes (just not sure) but on the Doxy I had no reaction at all. I knew the IV was working because numerous problems were being corrected.
    Nothing major but lots of the smaller ones. I felt I had finally latched on to something but then the liver acted up. C'est la vie!

Now I am taking the saventaro and colloidal silver and am feeling lots of things. Mostly more pronounced problems that I had before. I understand this is good and am glad for it but find it interesting that I am experiencing more herx like stuff on orals. My temperature has elevated a lot too. This hasn't happened for many years.

Do you think the orals attack in such a way that this happens or is it just me? I thought that maybe the IV hits it harder right at the lyme's core and therefore it doesn't react as badly because it doesn't have to travel through your whole body process. People just seem to be reacting to the orals a lot more. I just thought you might have an opinion. Thanks.

BDFM

Old 06-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

Just an update....still herxing big time. Had another "lobster" episode. My left arm feels like it's been in the freezer for a month and everytihng just hurts like a banshee. Talked to Dr. C...new plan is to stop the doxy all together, wait for this episode of herxes to end, then begin Flagyl. Only starting at 1/4 a tab 1 x daily. I am pretty scared by switching to Flagyl. I have heard there are lots of side effects, and usually cause more herxing than any of the other antibiotics. So I will be going home to MN to stay with my mom and dad for the first 2 weeks I am on it, so if something goes hay wire help will be close at hand. I am just curious as to how Flagyl has treated some of you here on the board?

I have searched threads, and like I said I am not so sure whether to be scared or happy...seems like it works very well, but those herxes concern me. Considering how bad mine have been just on 1oomg of doxy...what will they be like on flagly!

BDFM...about your thoughts on oral vs antibiotic...just one thought. My mom read somewhere that some orals have worse herxs than iv's simply because it passes through the gut/stomach/intestinal tract in a more concentrated form killing tons of the little buggers that exist there...whereas iv concentrates more so on the actual body system. Don't know if that makes much sense the way I'm typing it, but I belive there is some truth to it even if I can't explain it so well in this brain fog I'm in. But I am interested to see what ticker has to say about all of this as well....so ticker what do you think about the iv vs oral? also any thoughts about the Flagyl?

Thanks again all for your support and encouragement!

Old 06-29-2005, 12:33 PM   #8
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

Just another discouraging day! I thought incorrectly when I woke up this AM that I would be able to get out of bed for a bit and do some things (finally - 4 days in bed will drive ya bonkers). My roommate is moving out and I had noticed a few of my things missing - turns out she packed them...anyway as I was trying in vain to get some things put back to right before all heck broke lose again. I was slapped back into bed after about 30 minutes into sorting through little stuff on the floor in the living room! Promptly there after I had a full out "lobster" outting and passed out after a bath into a nap of which I didn't wake up from for 3 hours! I am back in bed...looks like it will still be a few days before this herx will let me out of it's grips...from just 100 mg of Doxy...it just blows my mind. After 4 days in my system that small one time dose is still wreaking havoc.

Off for another nap I think, oh and some more tylenol.

Hope you all are doing better than I am today....

Old 06-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Romans,
    it just amazes me that you react so strongly to the doxy. Most peoples reaction is an upset stomach. Although I think it was doxy that gottagetbetter took for a day or two and her face went numb. Now she is strictly on a natural path.

I don't encourage you to go the natural route but since your doctor is so far away you might want to at least discuss cat's claw for future reference at your next visit. I am on the saventaro (capsules) but there is also samento (liquid or capsules). In 8 weeks I can't say I have gotten better but it has sure stirred things up. I guess it is really too soon to tell. Amber takes the liquid samento and is doing great. This is strictly a suggestion in case you absolutely can't tolerate any of the meds he throws your way. Better that than nothing at all.
    BDFM

Old 06-29-2005, 06:49 PM   #10
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

Thanks again BDFM...I will definitely write that on my list of things to ask him about when I see him in July. I sure hope that Flagyl works better for me, although I hate to say that I am prepared for the worst and the possiblityy that I will have wose herxes than I've had with Doxy. But I am prepared.

From what I've read the degree of severity of herxes cacn be a pointer towards how high your spryo level is? I don't know if I'm write on that but but either way it probably means that this lyme has been at work in my bod since I thought I was "cured" when I was 15 from the first go around....that's 13 years to eat away silently here and there.I sure wish now that I had been told I could relapse...I think I would have been much more suspicois of all of my "random" ailings over the years. Sa la vei....sigh.....

Old 06-29-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
    gottagetbetter
    Veteran
    (female)

gottagetbetter HB User

Romans12:12 & BDFM,

I had a severe reaction to only 1 dose of 100mg of doxy. Lost the feels left side of face. WHich lasted for 3 months...still having alot of left sided issues since hat one dose.

Bad, bad doxy!!!

~P

Old 06-30-2005, 02:34 AM   #12
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

ggb...have you after that one dsoe tried other antibioitics and had the same reaction or a worse than norm? or wait...brain fog - sorry it's bad tongith, eeven speeling is hard to...you ar oonly doing natural right?

either way i am sorry about your experience, i think that would freak me out tooo much. have you regained the feelings in your face and do you think it was strictly from the doxy or just from it being an antibioitic? i had no idea that you had had such negative results too. i hope that eventually you will not have such problems with the L side of your bod...one stiep at a time rigth?

ok back to try to sleep for another hr or if im lucky 2. slep tight all...tomorrow is a new day.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:25 AM   #13
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

morning romans,
    i'd like to say that i hope you are still sleeping and gooding good rest but it appears you are online.
    i'll be going to work again today so won't be in touch after a bit but wanted to check in. sorry it's still so tough but SO ARE YOU. you ARE hanging in there. maybe better than i could in your place... keep resting as much as you can... your body is fighting hard. do all the basics. fluids, rest, and lots of love. you are fearfully and wonderfully made and know it. so try to rest in that...

in the battle with you, cj

Old 06-30-2005, 05:33 AM   #14
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

thanks cj...I am unfortuately up. No sleep for this warrior tonight or should i know say this morning. thanks again for your kind words...they are a comfort to be sure.

it's fnny to me that people can say "you are tough" and yet i feel so weak, want to give in and not care that i hurt anymore some days...but then that passes and i see how far i've come...at least i am being treated, at least i know it is lyme, and i know there is a way to get better. these are things that some are stil struggling to have and for this in the least i am blessed and i know that.

hop eyou have a good day cj....thanks again for checking in.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:42 AM   #15
    gottagetbetter
    Veteran
    (female)

gottagetbetter HB User

ROmans12:12 mornin' ,

I am doing alot of alternative things at this time. I have not done any other abx. I felt as though my toxin load was way too high.

When that happened with the doxy Dr C took me off of it and wanted to try tetracycline. Never went that far after feeling so totally messed up from the one dose.

I am seeing a chiro here who is VERY alternative and we are supporting and detoxing lightly. I can honestly say that I am improving..even with DH unemployed for 5 weeks now.

A really great book is "Beating Lyme Disease with Alternative Medicine and God-designed Living". It has really helped me alot. Has alot of great info in it also.

Be easy on yourself..remember that this is a Mind,Body & Spirit Illness.

~P

Closed Thread