It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Mainly dizziness for two years, enough of a symptom?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
    dizzyinmissouri
    Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User
    Question Mainly dizziness for two years, enough of a symptom?

I would love to know what you all think. I have been ill for about two years now. It started out with positional vertigo. Even though the actual vertigo settled down, the imbalance remained. Then I began to get a very stiff neck, my ears hurt, and popped and crackled all the time. I had alot of head pressure. I focused on inner ear information and went to a balance center in chicago thinking my problems were coming from my inner ear. I also had tension and anxiety as well. This happened July 03 through the winter. The following spring I began to try to start some exercise and found that I would feel horrible all over the next day. I began to get more and more fatigued. Then someone saw my symptoms and said it could be lymes.
    So, I went to Dr. C in Springfield and had the western blot and it came back negative but he diagnosed me 97% sure I had lymes by my symptoms. I took antibiotics for about four months and am sure that I didn't take them strong enough. After looking heavily into the mercury filling issue I decided to take a break from Dr. C and get my fillings replaced. I also followed Dr. C's advice and really changed my way of eating. I eat for my health and not for my pleasure. I also began taking several different supplements and minerals that Dr. C said were very crucial in getting better.
    I haven't been on antibiotics for about ten months. I can't say that I am getting worse. There are a few things that are better, which I am sure are a result of my diet change. I am mainly struggling with positional vertigo which doesn't happen often but I can't shake the dizziness and imbalance. As far as joint pain and inflammation, there has been some very minor inflammation in my right hand and some pain but I have always seem to have trouble with that from time to time. Otherwise the joints seem to be ok.
    Is dizziness, pressure in the head, and stiff neck enough to assume it it lymes. I don't feel good about taking antibiotics with doubts of whether I even have lymes or not. There are alot of other things that can cause these symptoms as well.
    Would love your thoughts?
    Vicki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
    Re: Mainly dizziness for two years, enough of a symptom?

Hi Vicki. Boy can I relate!

I lost my sense of balance, I have constant dizziness/lightheadedness and a constant "drunk" feeling. I walk into walls and I can barely walk at all in the dark.

I went through the whole ear doctor thing and had every test under the sun. It was so frustrating to go through test after test and have the doctors tell me I was healthy as a horse.

I also met someone who listened to my story and suggested I get tested for Lyme. My test for Lyme came back positive so I have been seeing a Lyme literate doctor and have been taking abx for 5 1/2 months now. I don't feel any improvement yet but I'm not giving up.

I don't remember a tick bite, my joint pain was short lived and my rash is not a typical bulls-eye.

There are days when I still question if the Lyme infection is causing my dizziness. Can I have both an inner ear problem and Lyme? What if I've had the Lyme since I was a kid? What if the infection's been around so long that my vestibuilar nerve is shot to hell?

I try not to worry and I take life one day at a time (sometimes an hour at a time).

I am happy to hear that you are seeing Dr. C. Do you know which lab performed the Western Blot?

Peace and health to you.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
    dizzyinmissouri
    Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 6Blues
    Hi Vicki. Boy can I relate!

I lost my sense of balance, I have constant dizziness/lightheadedness and a constant "drunk" feeling. I walk into walls and I can barely walk at all in the dark.

I went through the whole ear doctor thing and had every test under the sun. It was so frustrating to go through test after test and have the doctors tell me I was healthy as a horse.

I also met someone who listened to my story and suggested I get tested for Lyme. My test for Lyme came back positive so I have been seeing a Lyme literate doctor and have been taking abx for 5 1/2 months now. I don't feel any improvement yet but I'm not giving up.

I don't remember a tick bite, my joint pain was short lived and my rash is not a typical bulls-eye.

There are days when I still question if the Lyme infection is causing my dizziness. Can I have both an inner ear problem and Lyme? What if I've had the Lyme since I was a kid? What if the infection's been around so long that my vestibuilar nerve is shot to hell?

I try not to worry and I take life one day at a time (sometimes an hour at a time).

I am happy to hear that you are seeing Dr. C. Do you know which lab performed the Western Blot?

Peace and health to you.
    I have the same questions. My imbalance isn't as severe. I just have this 'heavy' feeling like there is an unseen force pushing me down. Every night when I lay down in bed I have to 'rock' for awhile as I know that my inner ear is struggling to balance me out. I know that lymes can effect people differently, but it is hard to feel totally positive that it is lymes when the diagnosis is not 100% and the test comes back negative.
    Do you have BPPV?
    It scares me to have this problem at 47 years old. There is such a terror that comes with dizziness and I can't imagine living like this the rest of my life, especially if it gets worse.
    My test was sent to Igenex. I think Dr. C sends all his tests there.
    Another reason I question lymes is that it seems like I would be getting steadily worse. I didn't have any rash or don't remember a particular bite. I have had tick bits through the years as I love to hike and the woods in our part of the country is full of ticks. Also, we have really seen an increase of ticks in the past few summers. I hate ticks and being sick for so long I have alot of anxiety every time I pull a tick off myself or one of the kids. I know that my 5 year old last summer came up with lymes because he had the rash and came down with the symptoms. I didn't mess with my local doctor, but called a lymes pediatrician and got adequate antibiotics. Then this summer he came up with another bullseye rash and he is on antibiotics again. It is very disturbing and to me seems like a nightmare that we cannot control!!
    Anyway, I hesitate to get back on the antibiotics yet. There are other treatments that I am hearing good things about and want to really search out all possible ideas on what to do next.
    Vicki

Old 07-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #4
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Vicki,

Welcome to the Site! I don't know if you have Lyme, some people have imbalance problems and ear problems who have tested positive for Lyme. I have 2 forms of Lyme and I don't have the imbalance problems or inner ear problems, but then again, everyone gets different symptoms.

I would suggest redoing your blood test and test for Lyme and it's coinfections at IgeniX Labs in Palo Alto, CA.

Was your original Western Blot done at IngeniX?

Hope you feel better,
    Denise

Old 07-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

Hey Dizzy, been a while. I think the last time we spoke I was having an ENG done that the doc said was not inner ear. My left ear was off30 % and the dizziness is central and periferral. I ended up seeing a LLMD after being diagnosed with CFS/FM and tested neg. again for lyme but pos. to babesia. I am on my second month of very strong abx. and I feel nothing but worse. I figure the worst thing to happan is it kill me but that is no worse than the way I feel so I will hang in there. I really thought it was lyme from the begining because of the time I spend outdoors. You obviously live in an area that has a high rate and it effects everyone a little differant. If I were you I would continue to pursue it. Find a good doc and read some books on it. I can relate to all the symptoms you have. The heaviness in my shoulders is awful. My dizziness is very lightheaded at best and has lasted 24/7 since 6/24/03. I have many more symptoms but like I say every one is diferant and you really need to persue it.

Derek

Old 07-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
    dizzyinmissouri
    Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deejavu
    Hi Vicki,

Welcome to the Site! I don't know if you have Lyme, some people have imbalance problems and ear problems who have tested positive for Lyme. I have 2 forms of Lyme and I don't have the imbalance problems or inner ear problems, but then again, everyone gets different symptoms.

I would suggest redoing your blood test and test for Lyme and it's coinfections at IgeniX Labs in Palo Alto, CA.

Was your original Western Blot done at IngeniX?

Hope you feel better,
    Denise
    I had the test done at IngeniX. My lymes doctor felt like he could get a positive if I came again by having a massage done first. Couldn't handle a massage tho' cause I definitely have something weird going on with the muscles up through my neck and head.
    Before when my stiff neck started, my husband was good to give me shoulder rubs that I thought would be beneficial. Turns out he was aggravating things. He can't even rub or scratch my upper back without my head filling up with pressure. Once when he had his arms around me while we were sitting on the couch all of the sudden I got lightheaded and felt very dizzy. It's awful when your own husband can't even hold you tight!
    Anyway, I have looked alot into alternative medicine, really by the way of Dr. C in Springfield and I really want to try some of those options. Right now I am in the process of getting mercury fillings replaced and have to deal with that for a time before I go onto another venture.
    My own doctor said that he talked to a doctor at the University of Missouri and he claims there is no lymes in Missouri, which is nuts. But he told my doctor that he can prove with some test that people being diagnosed with lymes in Missouri don't actually have lymes. Anyway, I know there are all types, but it is discouraging that we have to deal with so many conflicting reports. It is no small thing to take antibiotics for a long term, but it is certainly no small thing to have the lymes. Ugghhh!!
    Vicki

Old 07-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Vicki. Yes these symptoms can be from Lyme and possibly from Babesiosis. Were you tested for it?

Old 07-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
    dizzyinmissouri
    Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bothrops
    Hey Dizzy, been a while. I think the last time we spoke I was having an ENG done that the doc said was not inner ear. My left ear was off30 % and the dizziness is central and periferral. I ended up seeing a LLMD after being diagnosed with CFS/FM and tested neg. again for lyme but pos. to babesia. I am on my second month of very strong abx. and I feel nothing but worse. I figure the worst thing to happan is it kill me but that is no worse than the way I feel so I will hang in there. I really thought it was lyme from the begining because of the time I spend outdoors. You obviously live in an area that has a high rate and it effects everyone a little differant. If I were you I would continue to pursue it. Find a good doc and read some books on it. I can relate to all the symptoms you have. The heaviness in my shoulders is awful. My dizziness is very lightheaded at best and has lasted 24/7 since 6/24/03. I have many more symptoms but like I say every one is diferant and you really need to persue it.

Derek
    Hi! I remember you from the inner ear boards. I have been dizzy since July of 03. My two year anniversary is coming up tomorrow! So glad at that time I didn't know two years later I would still be dizzy and ill!
    I went to the Chicago Balance Center the following February and they determined there was no permanent damage in my ear. Everything looked normal. So, it wasn't until I began to come up with the fatigue and some other symptoms that I began to look at other possibilities.
    We live in northern Missouri and it used to be that you would rarely find a tick unless you went hiking. We live in the country, with some trees in the yard, definitely not forest, but we do have deer cross our yard alot. And, boy, during certain seasons the ticks seem to be everywhere. We have used tick granules in the yard, but there is only so much you can do.
    One of my fears is that I find out I do have lymes for sure, then I continually get bit and keep getting contracting lymes. It was just a few months ago I pulled a deer tick off my hip. It causes so much anxiety when you don't feel well anyway.
    Derek, don't you feel from all that you have discovered about lymes that alot of people on the inner ear boards could very well be suffering from lymes?
    I sure wish you didn't have to still be on the boards looking for answers. I am thankful for health forums though, as I do alot of just reading others stories and seeing what works and doesn't work for them.
    I pray both of us will find answers and get better soon!
    I am pretty much at the point that I believe God is the only one who can make me well!
    Vicki

Old 07-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
    dizzyinmissouri
    Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ticker
    Hi Vicki. Yes these symptoms can be from Lyme and possibly from Babesiosis. Were you tested for it?
    I was tested by Dr. C in Springfield. The test came back negative, but because of symptoms he felt 97% sure it was lymes.

Do you know anyone who had lymes with dizzy symptoms and they got better? My fear is of what damage may have occurred from the bacteria in my inner ear.

Vicki

Old 07-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #10
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

97% is pretty sure than you have to add the fact that your son has had it twice. If your worried about taking antibiotics for a long time than maybe you should try the Marshall Protocol. Do a search and ******** the PDF. on the protocol and give it to your dr. He still uses antibiotics but at a lower dose.

Yes I feel a lot of people on the inner ear board and other boards may have lyme. But then again it may be something undiscvered carried by ticks or even skeeters. I do know there is a huge amount of people with CFIDS/FM that have still to get a definate diagnosis and having problems with massages is a symptom of that. My skin is so sensitive that when I take my shoes off and run the bottom of my foot over the heel of my shoe it causes my leg to kick out as if I were getting whacked under the knee by a Dr.

Do you ever get burning sensations are feel cold in a room that is 75?

Old 07-11-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
    dizzyinmissouri
    Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bothrops
    97% is pretty sure than you have to add the fact that your son has had it twice. If your worried about taking antibiotics for a long time than maybe you should try the Marshall Protocol. Do a search and ******** the PDF. on the protocol and give it to your dr. He still uses antibiotics but at a lower dose.

Yes I feel a lot of people on the inner ear board and other boards may have lyme. But then again it may be something undiscvered carried by ticks or even skeeters. I do know there is a huge amount of people with CFIDS/FM that have still to get a definate diagnosis and having problems with massages is a symptom of that. My skin is so sensitive that when I take my shoes off and run the bottom of my foot over the heel of my shoe it causes my leg to kick out as if I were getting whacked under the knee by a Dr.

Do you ever get burning sensations are feel cold in a room that is 75?
    I get burning sensations mainly in my head, it feels like my brain. Usually I feel pressure and burning and then I break out in a hot sweat. It seems like I was cold all the time, but actually I am running warm now it seems.

Have you heard of good results with the Marshall protocol? I will check into it!

Thanks!
    Vicki

Old 07-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #12
    itsmylife
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

itsmylife HB User

The lightheaded and dizziness symptoms are a result of inflammation in the eight cranial nerve...the crackling, popping and ringing of the ears. This always seems to be misdiagnosed.

This is usually accompanied by dry sinus congestion.

These were my first chronic symptoms which presented themselves at about
    four years after my initial infectious bite. I had no rash.

I had several sinus surgeries and eventually gave up.
    It was not until I used colloidal silver for six months that I was able to live without these symptoms. The disease returned once I ended the sliver treatment and returned to my previous lifestyle.

When the disease returned again, I had severe anxiety and fatigue. The dizziness was completely gone. The dry congested sinuses did return.

I am currently using another natural protocall with great success. If interrested you can find in my previous posts.

Last edited by itsmylife; 07-13-2005 at 12:05 PM.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #13
    itsmylife
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

itsmylife HB User

If you look at the functionality of the Cranial nerves, you can see a relationship between Lyme and nerve it effects.

Olfactory Nerve I

The first cranial nerve is concerned with the sense of smell.Nerve fibers starting in the mucous membranes of the nose carry messages to the cerebrum
    Opitic Nerve II

The second cranial nerve from the brain.Visual impulses from the retnia are sent along the optic nerve.
    Oculomotor Nerve III,

Trochlear Nerve IV,

Abducent Nerve VI

These cranial nerves control move- ment of muscle which moves the eyelids, and allows focusing.
    Vestibulochlear Nerve VIII

Located behind the facial nerve, the eight cranial nerve caries impulses for the sense of balance.
    Trigeminal Nerve V

This nerve has three sections: the ophthalmic, maxillary and mandibular divisions. They supply sensory fibers to araes such as the forehead, skin of the check and the muscles used for chewing.
    Facial Nerve VII

The facial nerve is the seventh cranial nerve. It provides the motor fibers for facial expression. It is also responsible for the sensation of taste in the front part of the tongue.
    Spinal Accessory Nerve XI

The eleventh cranial nerve is primarily responsible for movement of the muscles of the upper shoulders, head, neck, larynx and pharynx.
    Vagus Nerve X

The tenth cranial nerve is involved with functions such as coughing, sneezing, swallowing, speaking, secretions from the glands of the stomach, as well as the sensation of hunger.
    Glossopharyngeal Nerve IX,

Hypoglossal Nerves XII

Supplying the carotod sinus, the ninth cranial nerve is responsible for the reflex control of the heart.It also supplies the back part of the tongue and the soft palate. The twelfth controls movement of the tongue.

Last edited by itsmylife; 07-13-2005 at 12:23 PM.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:00 PM   #14
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

takemylife, thanks for posting the cranial nerve summary!

Closed Thread