It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Milk thistle question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
    Cuteheart

Cuteheart HB User
    Milk thistle question

Hi everyone,

I'm starting Diflucan and I want to take milk thistle for my liver. I know many of you take it. Could someone tell me what brands are best (if I'm allowed to ask that) and what dosage you take? I don't want to waste anymore time or money.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2005, 04:56 AM   #2
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User
    Re: Milk thistle question

Dear cuteheart,

I am sure there are many brands out there and you will get lots of responses. I have been taking enzymatic therapy milk thistle since my liver went crazy with the rocephin. I've only had a blood test done twice since then but everything seems to be okay. Now that I am on natural stuff I can't get the paperwork to do the bloodwork. The bottle says 1 -2 or 1 -3 a day. Most days I take one unless I remember to take two. They are pretty small so not a problem to take. Before lyme I couldn't swallow pills. I used to chew Tylenol if I needed one. Now I can just about swallow anything and have. Hope this helps. Good luck with the diflucan.
    BDFM

Old 07-30-2005, 05:45 AM   #3
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Hi cuteheart, I take Enzymatic Therapy brand milk thistle also. Usually one or two a day. Recently I saw they make a "Super Milk Thistle" which I just bought, it's the regular milk thistle plus about four other herbs to help the liver cleanse. It was the same price so I thought I'd check it out.

Good luck, I think you'll feel better after you take the diflucan for a little while because you won't have yeast. Yeast can be very aggressive and it makes you very sick when you have a lot of yeast in your body.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleeperwoken
    Hi cuteheart, I take Enzymatic Therapy brand milk thistle also. Usually one or two a day. Recently I saw they make a "Super Milk Thistle" which I just bought, it's the regular milk thistle plus about four other herbs to help the liver cleanse. It was the same price so I thought I'd check it out.

Good luck, I think you'll feel better after you take the diflucan for a little while because you won't have yeast. Yeast can be very aggressive and it makes you very sick when you have a lot of yeast in your body.
    Hey sleeper, mine actually is the super milk thistle. The girl at the health food store picked it out. I didn't know there was a regular one.
    BDFM

Old 07-30-2005, 07:38 AM   #5
    Cuteheart

Cuteheart HB User

Thank you for the replies, sleeper & BDFM. I really appreciate it and I will try that brand. It can be a little overwhelming to see all those different brands, so I always ask someone who has been there and done that.

Sleeper, I am hoping I will feel better after treating the yeast. I was doing really well on the Doxy/Biaxin mix. Now I'm wondering if some of my symptoms are more yeast related. I'm sure not all of them, but I read some of the symptoms of systemic Candida and I have a lot of them, although most Lymies would, also. They're very similar. My biggest complaint lately is pelvic pain and pain on my right side clear through to my back. Very annoying, almost like gallbladder again, even though mine is gone! Oh well, I'm hoping it will be gone soon!

Thanks again!

Old 07-30-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

I believe the recommended dose of Milk Thistle is 200 mg daily

Old 08-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #7
    Rockon78

Rockon78 HB User

I'm looking for info on Milk Thistle also.

The brand I bought was "Swiss" Milk Thistle Liver Detoxifier 250 mg
    The directions say "Adults take one to two tablets three times a day at meal time. Do not exceed the max daily dose of six caps a day".

Now, I'm confused cause of the doses you guys posted.

I'm a little paranoid of taking an allergic reaction because I read so much about Milk Thistle and it mentioned allergice reaction. My luck I would have one. I'm allergic to mold etc. Do you think this will be a problem with taking Milk Thistle? I'm just iffy with taking herbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. So, I can get over this worrying about having a reaction.

Take care,
    ~Peace~

Old 08-13-2005, 08:16 PM   #8
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

I but my milk thistle at a heatlh food store. The brand is "Pure Encapsulations". $18 bucks for 120 capsules. I take 2 per day; 250 mg per capsule.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hi rockon,

Welcome to the boards.

Glad to meet you but sorry you have to be here.

I take enzymatic therapy super milk thistle that I got at the health food store. My homeopathic likes their products. I think the milligrams were 100 and it said you could take 1 - 3 a day and didn't specify at what time. I have never had a problem with them and wished I had known about them when I was on IV of rocephin and maybe my liver enzymes would not have skyrocketed and I could have continued. I don't think it is something that normally creates a problem. Good luck.

Betterdaysforme

Closed Thread