It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Need info on Igenex Lyme test- is everyone positive??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
    sickandconfused
    (female)

sickandconfused HB User
    Need info on Igenex Lyme test- is everyone positive??

Hi there.

I am new here. I posed this question on a chronic fatigue board, but they said i was better off asking it on a Lyme messageboard. I currently have CFS, fibromyalgia, and thyroid disease. For years, I have strongly suspected Lyme due to my multitude of symptoms. Anyway, I am going to a treatment center for my CFS and I recently got a lyme test from Igenex because I was told they were the best lyme lab in the country (I had 3 prior Elisa tests that were negative) Anyway, I am supposed to be getting the results tomorrow. However, there is alot of talk about igenex producing too many positive results, i don't know what to think. I also know the diagnosis of chronic lyme is very controversial and political! I am nervous that if it is a false positive, I will get unnecessary and potentially harmful treatment, but if I don't get treatment, I might never regainmy health. What has been your experience with igenex tests?

Thanks so much,
    NJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User
    Re: Need info on Igenex Lyme test- is everyone positive??

Hi,

Welcome to the board.

Sorry you have been ill and are having to deal with all of this.

Igenex is a highly reputable lab. I did once hear someone say that "everyone is positive from that lab" but I know for a fact that that information is incorrect. I know of several people who have had negatives from Igenex. From what I have been told, Igenex employs only certified technicians whereas some other labs do not and also they use 100% pure Lyme antigen in conducting their tests whereas most other labs do not in order to save money.

If there are a high number of positives, it may very well be because by the time many people's bloodwork is sent to Igenex, that they've shown many Lyme symptoms because they have Lyme. So a high percentage of people sending bloodwork to Igenex are indeed Lyme infected.

There is no test which can absolutely rule out Lyme. As for the ELISA, you may already know this but it is a notoriously inaccurate test that misses over 60% of infections. Even the Western Blot is not completely reliable. There are a number of things which could produce a false negative. For this reason, the CDC states that Lyme is to be a clinical diagnosis.

An interesting fact: in the largest Lyme study conducted to date, that for the Lymerix vaccine which included 10,000 participants, it was found that 36% of the volunteers with proven Lyme disease (culture or DNA positive) never developed a positive western blot.

For more information on testing and treatment of Lyme disease I highly recommend the book 'Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease and Other Tick Borne Diseases' by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Need info on Igenex Lyme test- is everyone positive??

Hi sickandconfused, welcome to the board!

I am sorry you have been so sick. Many people who have Lyme were first diagnosed with other diseases including Fibromyalgia, CFS, ALS, and MS.

As was stated, no Lyme test is completely reliable. From what I understand the ELISA is the least reliable and the one most doctors run first. Regarding the Western Blot, the CDC states that a large number of bands need to be positive for the test to be positive. Many people who have Lyme do not get this many bands. Often, Lyme doctors focus on which bands show. Some are positive for Lyme. The CDC also states that a negative test does not rule out Lyme!

Not everyone tests positive at IgeneX.

It is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected. It is important to be tested.

Closed Thread